Announcements

Recommended songs missing for some playlists

Hey everyone,

We're receiving reports that users are not getting recommended songs based on their playlists.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to subscribe to this thread!

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
Alex

Hey @BrandonHN,

Thanks for the reply.

There is no official limit on the number of songs a playlist has, that would disable recommendation songs.

You can try copying the songs over to a new playlist and check if you get recommendations there. 

If you have time you can also run through the steps @CarlosE suggested to narrow where the issue is coming from.

Cheers.

jasbury1

I am having this same issue.

Running the official Spotify app (not web player) on MacOS 10.15.7.

All playlists of mine used to have the recommended songs at the bottom. Just this week it disappeared from one of the playlists.

A clean re-install did not change anything. Moving all songs to a new playlist did not have an effect -- the new playlist did not have recommended songs either. I then tried to move all songs into the playlist in two batches by copying over the first 50 songs at once and then copying over the remaining songs. This worked and the new playlist had the recommended songs feature. But this "fix" only worked for a day and the recommended songs were gone by the following morning. 

The recommended songs are there on the mobile app. Only missing from this playlist on the desktop app. The playlist has 75 songs.

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 2.04.37 PM.png
CarlosE

Hi there @jasbury1,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community.

Try logging out, restarting your device, and logging back in. If that doesn't make any difference, can you let us know if that playlist is also missing the recommended songs on the web player?

If possible, try on another computer with the desktop app and let us know how it works there.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

jasbury1

Thank you for the quick reply!

Logging out and logging in had no effect.

It is not present on the web player either. I tried a different computer, and it is missing there as well.

Best,

James

CarlosE

Hey @jasbury1,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

So the issue seems to be isolated to your account on the desktop app. It looks like this can be a temporary issue, as it has solved itself for other users after a few days. We suggest waiting a bit to see if the Recommended songs section comes back in that particular playlist. If it doesn't, you can try creating a new account to see how it behaves.

We'll be right here in case you have any questions.

Take care!

jasbury1
Hi Carlos,

I'm happy to wait a few days and post back if it is resolved.

Creating a new account, however, does not seem like an effective solution
to me. It is several years of Spotify followers, playlists, and library
management that are keeping me a Spotify premium subscriber rather than
using other platforms.

As it seems like this bug has affected several users, please let me know if
there's another location where I can submit these details so that a
software ticket can be created for a long term solution. I'm happy to
provide any additional debug information, and I'd appreciate hearing if it
is fixed in a later version. Although it is just a minor inconvenience at
the moment, it is a little troubling knowing certain features can randomly
disappear from the app.

Thank you again for all of your help with this!

Best,

James
Alex

Hi @jasbury1,

Thanks for your reply.

It would be great if you can share the following info with us:

• make, model and exact OS version of the device on which your recommended songs are not showing.
  • exact Spotify version
  • Links/URIs of the some of the playlists that show this issue

We'll pass this info on to the team who are looking into this at the moment.

Cheers.

jasbury1

Thanks for your help, Alex!

Tested on MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) 2.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

MacOS version 10.15.7

I did a clean install last night, so it should be the latest available Spotify version.

I also tested on the web application using Safari 14.0.3. and I still had the same issue.

Finally, I tested it on a friend's MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) with macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 installed and the issue persisted.

Playlist link:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5jvfzsPpQDcumIOakbCKWt?si=e0ce6f00fbcc499b

Best,

James

Eni

Hi there @jasbury1

Thanks for sending us this info. 

Could you send us the exact version of the app as well? You can find it clicking on the 3 dots on the top left corner of the desktop app > Help > About Spotify. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

jasbury1

1.1.58.820.g2ae50076-a

Best,

James