Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

’Repeat All’ turns itself on

I’m a Premium member, in the US, on an iPhone 8 with iOS 12.  I’m having an issue where the “Repeat All” function continually resets to on.  This used to happen just when I opened the app anew, so I for some time just left Spotify always open and that prevented “Repeat All” from turning back on; however, for the last month or two, “Repeat All” turns on even if I just minimize the app, often several times a day.  There was a Community Post on this same issue (from DanHazard, which is now closed) where the Tech person recommended restarting the iPhone, but this has not helped.  I am an album-listener (as in, not a radio- or playlist-listener) and I absolutely hate that the albums keep repeating!  For one thing, I often switch to a completely different genre for my next choice; hearing the same one restart kinda makes me hate the album.... I get sick of the same one!  Since I listen all day at work (I build houses), it is often very difficult for me to stop what I am doing to change the music, so I am stuck with the repeating album for a while. I also use a song or album’s length as a gauge of how long a task is taking me (in construction, many quick tasks FEEL like they take forever and you feel you are wasting time when you are not; conversely, it’s easy to get lost in complicated tasks and end up spending more time than you wanted), so the Repeat ruins that, too. 

To make matters worse, the last update just moved the button to turn Repeat off into a submenu of the Now Playing screen, making it even harder for me keep an eye on that pesky little Repeat!

Please help!

Hey all,

Thanks for all of the info. We've let our tech team know, and they're investigating this. We don't have an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend keeping an eye out for updates to the app.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Top Answer
Maria

Hey there folks,

Thanks for posting in the thread!

We've spotted a few new reports regarding this issue and would like to investigate this further. If you're experiencing this issue in 2024, would you mind leaving us the details requested in this thread?

Many thanks!

Comments
LeonV

I've this issue on every device for a few years now. Pretty annoying. 
Isn't it possible to create a master setting to disable repeat completely? I've never used it at all...

AdamCohn
I'd like the same. There literally has been no scenario in my life where I
have wanted either of the repeat functions.
lookpl

The same on every device - Android, Windows, Linux... If I turn it off it's back after a day or so.

blackblackalps

You know damn well what the issue is. You have it programmed to do this so people keep listening. Turn it off or I’m ending my subscription. 

AdamCohn

I have noticed repeat frequently turns itself on when I move from playing Spotify from my home to my car. Perhaps that has something to do with the bug here?

blackblackalps

It’s not a bug. It’s an intentional “feature” that Spotify won’t remove because it keeps you listening to the app and therefore increases their revenue. 

Gallivan61
Hi, the original poster here....

.... well, it’s not a brilliant feature considering I switched to Apple
Music 2 1/2 years ago after they wouldn’t fix it!! This thread still gets
comments pretty frequently, too— I imagine I am not the only person to
leave their service!

VIVIER

I started experiencing this issue recently after getting a car with Bluetooth, and after reading through this entire thread, I can’t believe this has been going on for over two years and nothing has been done about it. I don’t even see any recent responses from Spotify... does anyone at the company even read these threads? Or are we just screaming into the void? I really didn’t want to switch to Apple Music, but it does sound pretty tempting right now (especially since my car automatically plays that app when I get in anyway)

sidesix

I've been dealing with this same issue now for 6 months - and kept thinking maybe I've pressed "repeat" without knowing. But I've got more and more fed up with it until today when i tried to search for a solution! I'm in the same situation, it seems to always happen when my phone connects via Bluetooth to my MINI. Please can we get a fix - it's really irritating.

disc_count

@blackblackalps I have no doubt that you're correct about this. They also do not have a true random shuffle (or anything near it) because they think that playing the songs you've already listened to a ton of times means that you're going to keep listening (AKA more money for them). As someone who has almost 10k songs in my library, I want to hear new things when I shuffle randomly, but I keep hearing the same 100 songs. Seeing this thread is like deja vu of the threads complaining about the poor shuffle for years (one of them here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Shuffle-Still-Doesn-t-Work-2021/m-p/5244313#M179960). The whole scheme is to keep the average listener listening. Whether that is through selecting the most popular or listened-to songs by an artist when a user specifies "shuffle" on a large playlist or automatically turning on repeat EVERY. DAMN. TIME I play a track, the bottom line is they want more plays / listens NOT user control or the highest quality experience  / control for users – especially users that are not average or casual listeners. It's going to suck to have to transfer to a different platform but I is apparent that they do not care about user opinions so, yes @VIVIER , you may be screaming into the void...unless getting a reply to clear your cache, restart your app/phone, reinstall your app is satisfactory customer service. Not sure if Apple music is the solution...but it definitely seems worth a try.