Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Consolidate duplicates

It would be nice if Spotify can recognize identical songs to avoid duplicates in your Liked songs and playlists.

This is pretty common for songs released first as a single then within an album.

For example, if you like the single one, the UI will not show the song as liked when you browse the album. And if you like the song in the album, you'll end up with a duplicated version in your library.

This also happens a lot for songs that you listen in Daily Mix or Discover weekly. If it's not the exact same song you have already liked before, the UI is inconsistent and you can save a duplicate.

Apparently, there is already an internal merge mechanism as the play counter is not split between the different versions of the songs. Maybe this can also be used to consolidate the UI.

Repost of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Your-Music-Remove-Duplicated-Songs/idi-p/4546787 which didn't get enough kudos.

Hey everyone,

This suggestion got moved to the wrong place by mistake and we're setting it to live idea again. Thank you all for bringing your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We'll continue to monitor the comments here. Please note that even if the status is set to “Not Right Now" - you can still add your votes and support this idea, so that it would have a better chance of being considered, as Spotify always strives to improve your experience.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
AeroZ

I noticed this last feek. But as it appears this bug is years old...?

At the time I used my Mac Spotify client:

• 1.0.88.353.g15c26ea1
  • Macbook Pro mid-2012, macOS 10.11.6
  • Hard to tell for how long since I don't regularly check artist pages
AeroZ

I got an example for you.

Albums listAlbums listArtist pageArtist page

Daisy

Hey guys,

Just a kind reminder: Please vote for this issue in the top-right corner if you are experiencing it. We have more info from some of you, but we need more votes to escalate this 🙂

Daisy

Hey everyone,

For anyone still experiencing this: 

Please check out this thread https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/4-year-old-bug-still-not-resolved/idi-p/4518478

We are trying to solve this, thank you for your patience 🙂 

AeroZ

@Daisy

If you require Votes to investigate an issue then it's probably going to fail and we're both wasting our time here. How many people use the forums? How many people check the Ongoing issues forums? How many people check all the different tags under Ongoing issues forum? Few at best.

Daisy

Hey @AeroZ,

Don't worry, we are constantly following up on these threads and we can assure you we'll escalate this once we reach enough votes. I also linked this thread in an older one.  

delae

Spotify version: 1.0.88.353.g15c26ea1 But it occured more than 4 years back. It was a completely different Spotify version back then.

Device model and OS version: The issue is device independent.

How long you've been experiencing this issue for?: At least 4 years! Probably longer. Can't tell.

Here are some more details. Every developer will be able to understand the problem using them:

The Spotify songs database contains duplicates. These two Spotify URIs point to tho same album (from the consumers point of view)

spotify:album:3uocz31s0fmZ8SRP1rCM8e
spotify:album:7o8Pkxy7OmloQ1atWwlfBX

The first one was available first. I "saved" some of the album tracks. Then the second copy of the album appread and "hid" the first one. "Hid" means, searching for the album title will always return the second version of the album (which does not have the "saved" flags, I applied to the first version). But looking up the album in my "Library" will lead me to the first version of the album.

version1.pngversion2.png

delae

Spotify version: 1.0.88.353.g15c26ea1 But it occured more than 4 years back. It was a completely different Spotify version back then.

Device model and OS version: The issue is device independent.

How long you've been experiencing this issue for?: At least 4 years! Probably longer. Can't tell.

Here are some more details. Every developer will be able to understand the problem using them:

The Spotify songs database contains duplicates. These two Spotify URIs point to tho same album (from the consumers point of view)

spotify:album:3uocz31s0fmZ8SRP1rCM8e
spotify:album:7o8Pkxy7OmloQ1atWwlfBX

The first one was available first. I "saved" some of the album tracks. Then the second copy of the album appread and "hid" the first one. "Hid" means, searching for the album title will always return the second version of the album, which does not have the "saved" flags, I applied to the first version. But looking up the album in my "Library" will lead me to the first version of the album.

AeroZ

URI's from my example:

spotify:album:3Eqz2RcwydoERHGIyh7AWw

spotify:album:4InIe7DN4J5mIXYVlxDD7r

and another one:

spotify:album:4ZO8i8JRijLxRvWRRj0zL0

spotify:album:71HM1CMYWeZzws8pyiEn46

and another one:

spotify:album:1bzukuBkqeueF5HC5yHPxn

spotify:album:7p7kcsrdoJ8DKQIMouujcb

I'm sure there are more.

Daisy
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hello everyone,

We were able to escalate the thread. Our teams are looking into this now and we will keep you posted. 

Thanks for your patience!