Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Consolidate duplicates

It would be nice if Spotify can recognize identical songs to avoid duplicates in your Liked songs and playlists.

This is pretty common for songs released first as a single then within an album.

For example, if you like the single one, the UI will not show the song as liked when you browse the album. And if you like the song in the album, you'll end up with a duplicated version in your library.

This also happens a lot for songs that you listen in Daily Mix or Discover weekly. If it's not the exact same song you have already liked before, the UI is inconsistent and you can save a duplicate.

Apparently, there is already an internal merge mechanism as the play counter is not split between the different versions of the songs. Maybe this can also be used to consolidate the UI.

Repost of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Your-Music-Remove-Duplicated-Songs/idi-p/4546787 which didn't get enough kudos.

Hey everyone,

This suggestion got moved to the wrong place by mistake and we're setting it to live idea again. Thank you all for bringing your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We'll continue to monitor the comments here. Please note that even if the status is set to “Not Right Now" - you can still add your votes and support this idea, so that it would have a better chance of being considered, as Spotify always strives to improve your experience.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
watertank

@delaethank you for putting this issue in terms they can understand. Maybe it will finally be fixed. Kinda doubt it tho.

forcedrevival

I've been experiencing this issue as well, for as long as I've had spotify. Please get this fixed asap.

kneller420

Im still having this problem.

For someone who is meticulous and obsessive about their music collection, as most of us permium subscribers are, it is very annoying and disheartening.  A lot of us spent years building our spotify collection. I started in 2012.

oh yeah another thing: End the song cap! makes saved songs unlimited! please.

Daisy
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your patience!

As the saved version is not the same version saved under The Artist/Album, this is currently expected behavior. We'll make sure to let the right team know this is something you'd like to see different in the future.

Thanks again for your reports, we appreciate your feedback.

watertank
@Daisy"As the saved version is not the same version saved under The Artist/Album, this is currently expected behavior."

What does that mean it's not the same version? For all intents and purposes, it is the same song that came out the same year on the same album... how is that not the same song?

Just today I experienced this incredibly annoying issue again.

watertank

@Daisy wrote:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your patience!

As the saved version is not the same version saved under The Artist/Album, this is currently expected behavior. We'll make sure to let the right team know this is something you'd like to see different in the future.

Thanks again for your reports, we appreciate your feedback.

Hello...

casigoldi

this is extemely annoying. Also because the library is fixed to maximum 10.000 songs (which is the most shitty thing ever - https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Your-Music-Increase-maximum-Songs-allowed-in-Your-Music/...). I've added some albums multiple times - because I though they weren't added. Now I have to find all the duplicates.. 

kpwxx

As others have said, they are the same version of the same song from the same album, so although the file may be labelled as different, it's this labelling that's incorrect.

I don't expect it to apply to e.g. the bonus version Vs normal version of an album, or the single Vs album version of a song. Those, I accept that they are not the same even if they do happen to be the same track, because sometimes the versions do vary.

However, when it's literally the same song, and the saved version is for some reason not visible on the artist page or search any more yet somehow still on Spotify, this just makes no sense at all.

Also, there's a limit on songs 😱 why?! When the limit is reached it then makes the feature, in essence, useless!! Why would you do this?!

jlmoriart

>As the saved version is not the same version saved under The Artist/Album, this is currently expected behavior.

Of course it's expected behavior, given the system that Spotify uses. The point of this thread is that the system itself, where there are different versions of albums that are not "connected" in any intelligent way, leads to a terrible user experience where one might end up with many "versions" of the same album in their library, and where a user has to search through their library if they're ever unsure of whether they've already added an album or not. (Since they can't tell by looking at it, since they might have a different version!)

The fact that you're calling this "expected behavior", as if the problems we're experiencing were some sort of feature introduced on purpose by your dev team that we just turned out to have problems with, is embarrassingly defensive. It might not be a "bug", but it is, at the very least, a design problem on Spotify's part. There seem to me to be several obvious solutions.

1. Connect interchangeable versions under the hood, and just list both as "in your library" whenever you see them, when really, underneath, only one is.

2. Keep versions visually separate, but allow users to set whether to be prompted by Spotify when adding duplicate versions of albums to their library. (The prompt could give the option to "Replace", "Cancel", or "Add Both")

3. Connect different versions of the same albums via a "versions" tab on the album page itself, and allow a user to pick which one is included in their library (or multiple versions, if they really want.)

This last option would be amazing because sometimes different releases are different enough that a listener might actually prefer one or the other. Coldplay's "Parachutes" has two versions, and I much prefer one, but I lost it on spotify after trying to rebuild my library, and could only find the other. Same with Claude Bolling's "Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano".

Additionally, Spotify could add a feature where shuffled libraries that include different versions of the same song (on purpose) can ignore duplicates so that the flow of the shuffle isn't broken by a repeat.

I canceled my Spotify subscription since my last post in this thread (ended up using my own library and plex, which has worked ok), but maybe Spotify could retain itself some loyal customers by fixing obvious problems like this, especially since it seems like this problem will come up for the users that use Spotify most.

Cheers

jimmypike27

Yes, there can be multiple versions and it's ludicrous to expect this to happen.  AND It happens with the same version too!