Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Consolidate duplicates

It would be nice if Spotify can recognize identical songs to avoid duplicates in your Liked songs and playlists.

This is pretty common for songs released first as a single then within an album.

For example, if you like the single one, the UI will not show the song as liked when you browse the album. And if you like the song in the album, you'll end up with a duplicated version in your library.

This also happens a lot for songs that you listen in Daily Mix or Discover weekly. If it's not the exact same song you have already liked before, the UI is inconsistent and you can save a duplicate.

Apparently, there is already an internal merge mechanism as the play counter is not split between the different versions of the songs. Maybe this can also be used to consolidate the UI.

Repost of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Your-Music-Remove-Duplicated-Songs/idi-p/4546787 which didn't get enough kudos.

Hey everyone,

This suggestion got moved to the wrong place by mistake and we're setting it to live idea again. Thank you all for bringing your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We'll continue to monitor the comments here. Please note that even if the status is set to “Not Right Now" - you can still add your votes and support this idea, so that it would have a better chance of being considered, as Spotify always strives to improve your experience.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Loxer

Same issue in:

macOS High Sierra 10.13, macOS Mojave 10.14, Windows 10 Pro 1803, Windows 10 Pro 1809, Windows 10 Pro 1709, Windows 10 Pro 1703 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1, iOS 11 (All versions), iOS 12, iOS 12.1, Android 7.1.1 and Android 6.0.1

Saved on my Songs folderSaved on my Songs folderAppearing as not saved in artists page, and if I save it I'll get a duplicate of this song :(Appearing as not saved in artists page, and if I save it I'll get a duplicate of this song 😞Same hereSame hereAgain, sameAgain, same

I've got other cases as well and it has started a while ago like 5 versions or more, currently I'm on version 1.0.90 and 8.4.73 in all the mentioned platforms

frapo

What the **bleep** does it mean “it’s expected behaviour”?! Not a single song is supposed to be displayed as saved in the artist page? Well, then a good 80% of my library has unexpected behaviour because they’re usually shown as saved. I wanted to change that 20% or less of my library that had what I thought was a problem, but apparently it’s the other 80% who must be fixed then. 🤔

casigoldi
  • Spotify version
    - 1.0.91.183.g259b84fa
  • Device model and OS version
    MacBook Pro macOS 10.13.6 
  • How long you've been experiencing this issue for?
    - Can't really tell since when I'm having this issue. But there are some albums I added end of 2016 which are now a duplicates
  • Do you experience this with all songs, or just certain songs?
    - Usually I'm saving the whole LP/EP, it is not happening for every album. But I reached the 10.000 songs limit and this is a real pain. Hope you can escallate this as well, because for some reasons this gets more or less ignored (with more than 400 pages of comments and over 8000 votes). There is no moderator commenting since ages. I'm talking about that one:
    https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Your-Music-Increase-maximum-Songs-allowed-in-Your-Music/...
era5

How is this issue not solved yet? I've been having the same problem since a couple of months and it is really annoying, it totally interferes with the user experience, making it not very pleasant, I thought this problem was recent, but it's been four years and somehow the Spotify team hasn't solved it yet?

Another example if the Spotify Team need more info:

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 10.59.50 AM.png

As you can see, this is a screenshot of the album "reputation" by Taylor Swift saved in my library

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 10.58.28 AM.png

And this is a screenshot of the album in the artist page, which shows as not saved.

And for more info:

• Spotify version:
    1.0.94.262.g3d5c231c
  • Device model and OS version:
    Every device!!
    - Huawei Mate SE, android version 8.0
    - MacBook Pro mid-2015 macOS Mojave 10.14.1
    - iPad mini 4 iOS 12.1.1.
  • How long you've been experiencing this issue for?
    Several months now, but it seems the issue started long before
  • Do you experience this with all songs, or just certain songs?
    Just certain songs/albums/artists

I really hope this design problem gets addressed. 

carotis_interna

It turns out I'm not the only one with such a problem.
I have a similar situation with the display of songs. I do not understand how this problem cannot be solved in years?

st0rmtrooperx

Been having this issue for months. Only workaround I've found is to remove the old one in your songs list and re-save the new one. This issue is almost 4 years old?! Seriously Spotify get some devs on this issue right now. It completely ruins the user experience. I'm sitting here thinking why isn't this album saved, I saved the ENTIRE album. I then search in my songs list and sure enough it is saved. This happens at least once a week if not more, it is driving me insane!! This might be YOUR expected behavior because you programmed it that way but obviously NO ONE likes this behavior and no one is expecting it. 

toastybuns

Issue still exists in 2019 - I'm finding this with singles that are the exact same version (no different versions of the song released).

Will the status for this indefinitely remain "Not right now"?

STEDMANA

How about individual songs not showing up under their album in albums anymore unless you like the whole album ?

Why has this since been changed ?

harshil2001

So it's literally 2019 and this issue still hasn't been fixed? Almost 3 years after this thread was made...So it's literally 2019 and this issue still hasn't been fixed? Almost 3 years after this thread was made...

Owenkeys

Theres already a web app for this if it helps. Heres the link, it works great.

https://jmperezperez.com/spotify-dedup/