Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Consolidate duplicates

It would be nice if Spotify can recognize identical songs to avoid duplicates in your Liked songs and playlists.

This is pretty common for songs released first as a single then within an album.

For example, if you like the single one, the UI will not show the song as liked when you browse the album. And if you like the song in the album, you'll end up with a duplicated version in your library.

This also happens a lot for songs that you listen in Daily Mix or Discover weekly. If it's not the exact same song you have already liked before, the UI is inconsistent and you can save a duplicate.

Apparently, there is already an internal merge mechanism as the play counter is not split between the different versions of the songs. Maybe this can also be used to consolidate the UI.

Repost of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Your-Music-Remove-Duplicated-Songs/idi-p/4546787 which didn't get enough kudos.

Hey everyone,

This suggestion got moved to the wrong place by mistake and we're setting it to live idea again. Thank you all for bringing your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We'll continue to monitor the comments here. Please note that even if the status is set to “Not Right Now" - you can still add your votes and support this idea, so that it would have a better chance of being considered, as Spotify always strives to improve your experience.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
_Darren

I'd like intelligent duplication detection. One song can be on some many albums that sometimes I see a song I am sure I liked but does not show that way so I click like again. Turns out I've like the song on a mix album so I now I have two copies of the song liked, same artist and track but different album 😞

mlidbo

Here's another idea in the exchange:  Crowdsource the duplicate albums and songs problem.

That idea would solve this problem and many others.

Please fix this issue.. It's very difficult when trying to go back into the catalogue of artists I've had on my radar and sort out which songs I want to listen to. 

For example I'll like a song that Spotify has reccommended via discover weekly or release radar, go to the artist page, and it shows that I have no songs saved from the artist even though I've enjoyed multiple songs from there before. I want to listen to other songs I've already saved from this artist, but I can't see which ones I've saved without going into my Saved Songs and searching for the artist by name. VERY annoying 😞 

merdesigner
came by to say:
· I'm still having the exact same problem on both mobile and desktop apps (it seems to have gotten worse actually)
· This should be a 'bug fix' not an 'idea exchange' situation
Jacob
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2021-02-24

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active and recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request I encourage you to post your idea again in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

domo95

2021 and this is STILL an issue. I have spoken to support about it numerous times and they say they will get back to me and never do. The only work around is to resave songs but I don't want old songs to be taking up all the space at the top of my liked music and pushing down songs that are actually new. Especially, when Spotify doesn't have a separate recently added page and is list based. It would still be annoying but if it had a separate recently added page with a similar layout to apple music's recently added where it shows albums instead of one big list it would be a bit better. This is incredibly inconvenient for me as I'm constantly having to think "huh have I really not saved this song" and I'm constantly double checking in my saved music. I wish Spotify would just do something about this instead of ignoring us in favour of working on irrelevant stuff.

horekuk

THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!! I'll search for a song I KNOW I liked A WEEK AGO and becuase of reasons (there's a change in something, publisher or whatever, or just terrible coding), my likes are seemingly gone, they're there! But they're on a different version. WHYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY?

And if I like the songs on the new version, I now have two versions of the same song across two IDENTICAL albums, GREAT. I have to go back to the "old" version and unlike that.

I swear to god Spotify's engineers are CHILDREN. Or monkeys. 

Jacob
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2021-05-20

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 500 votes in 18 months. You can read more about the idea process here.

-5_jb54ueciu8

October 2021 and I see that this has been an issue since 2014 🤔 Does it really take more than 8 years to fix this? I've used spotify on so many devices over the years since like 2015 and this STILL happens. I save songs/albums and they show up in my Liked Songs playlist and library just fine. But in the artist page and any other place, it shows that it's not saved. Pleeeeeaaaase fix this annoying issue.

st0rmtrooperx

Still having this issue and I commented on this over a year ago. It's even worse now because the liked songs show both in my library and in the liked songs list for the artist but not on the artist's page or their discography. Only workaround I've found is to remove the old one in my library and re-save the new one. I'm sitting here thinking why isn't this song saved when I go to the artist's page and then search in my library and sure enough it is saved. This happens at least once a week if not more, it is driving me insane because I have to waste time re-saving songs!! This is not expected behavior or a feature, this is a BUG!