Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Landscape mode on Now Playing view

When using my phone in the car I put it in a car holder. The holder is horizontal in order to have better view for navigation etc. I use spotify also a lot in the car but when using the playing music I'm not able to rotate the screen but the playlists dose rotate

Comments
willdoubleg

Samsung Galaxy S7 active

Spotify version 8.4.98.892

The app rotates correctly when in a playlist.

The app fails to rotate when in the "currently Playing" screen.

This is a huge inconvenience for me while my phone is in its dock.  I expect a fix to be promt.

Kander81

I'm having the same issue.

Model: S10+

Android version: 9

Spotify version: 8.4.98.892

ponches79

I am experiencing the same issue. I've got an LG G7 ThinQ with Android 8.0.0 and Spotify 8.4.98.892. All the app's menus, search screens, and playlist management screens rotate, but Now Playing does not. I have re-installed the app, and tried toggling the auto-rotate feature with no impact.

It is immensely frustrating, especially as I have the phone in landscape position at my desk and in my car all day long and that's the only way that charging and headphone cables fit!

EDIT: Updated app to version 8.5.0.735 and I still have the problem.

MiguelAlmeida

Updated 30 minutes ago and still it isn't fixed.

Time: 08:30 a.m. Lisbon/London, April the 9th, 2019

Mnemonik

Same issue for me, driving me crazy when using my phone in landscape in my car mount!

Galaxy S10+, Android 9 Pie.

Works fine in Playlist mode, but as soon as it's in Now Playing it turns back to portrait mode.

Please fix ASAP Spotify!

preadfish

@Katerina wrote:

[...]

If you haven't tried already, we'd suggest trying a quick reinstall of the app on your device and toggling off/back on Auto-rotate on your phone's settings.

If you're still experiencing this, make sure to add your +VOTE and leave a comment with the following:

• Your device and its OS version.
  • The exact version of the Spotify app you're currently on.
  • Any screenshots of what you see would be helpful. Just make sure that no private/sensitive info is displayed.

First: Thumbs up @ Katerina for helping us!

But: clearly this is not a issue depending on OS Version and/or the device that is used. Your developers know that they made a new version of the screen that shows the current track. And they just did not implement a landscape mode of this screen. So please stop wasting peoples time by asking them to reinstall the app or for exact phone model, screenshots and version numbers. This does not help and i hate it when software developers/supporters at first try to search for errors at technical advanced users.

The developers removed a useful feature from the app what annoys a lot of people out there. Let's hope we reach a critical mass so that the developers will make a now playing screen version which supports landscape mode.

Maybe the developers already planned to add landscape mode later, an information about that would be more helpful.

Thank you!

Wetfraggle

Having same problem. Screen won't go to landscape while in now playing view. It did this morning but now it just goes to portrat view. Please fix this iam a premium member and want this feature back.

Australia 

Note9 

Premium account. 

Federico17

Samsung S7 Android 8.0.0, the Spotify version is: 8.5.0.735 

I re-install the app and I can't still rotate the "Now Playing" view to landscape.

Have the same issue in my tablet and car Android Radio. Neither has landscape view of the "Now Playing" screen

iddles

I hit the same issue and figured out a filthy work-around.

If your phone supports split-screen view (in particular the pop-up variant of this view), as my Samsung Note does, you can open spotify in a pop-up window with any other landscape-mode application in the background (e.g. phonebook) and drag the corners of the spotify window until it fills the screen.

Screenshot_20190411-144255_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20190411-144307_Spotify.jpg

Told you it was filthy.

To find the split screen / pop-up option, either press and hold the square (recent applications) button, or on newer android versions, bring up the recent applications list and press the application icon to get to the windowing options.

*Edit: in fact this works with the regular split-screen view too which is on stock android, although you'll lose a bit of the side of the screen to some other app 🤷‍♂️.

Federico17
Filthy indeed hahaha but it kinda makes it better. Thank you!!!

I still believe Spotify programmers should fix or bring back the landscape view capability.