Select the audio target before playing the first song

This is a copy of an idea proposed here which was closed as being an issue (I do not agree but how can you argue on a closed idea)

Currently, if I want to control my Sonos system from the Spotify app I need to first play the first song, then select the target for the music, then rewind the song to the beginning.

This is a bit annoying, it would be much more user friendly if you could select the target and then start playback direclty on the chosen target.

Note that this does not only affect Sonos but all audio sinks that can be selected in the app, e.g. Chromecast or the Spotify application on my PC.

Additional information:

Sometimes the "current song bar" at the bottom above the tabs is shown although no song was started yet. In this case the GUI let's me select an audio target but then complains that I need to start a song first.

We're sorry for the confusion,

We’ll be sure to pass your suggestion onto the right folks here at Spotify.

If you think this is also something other Spotify customers would think is a good idea, be sure to add it to our ideas board. Those who also support your idea can then vote on it or add to the conversation.

Feel free to write us again if you have any more ideas or feedback.

0 Likes
Comments
Alfredo
Roadie
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey @Matthaeus!

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Looks like the previous post was closed because it was on the wrong board, but don't worry, we'll help you out.

Could you send us your device's make and model, OS, and Spotify version? Also, around when did this start to happen?

We'll see what we can suggest.

Matthaeus
Gig Goer

Hey @Alfredo,

that's the thing, I don't believe this is an issue. The app has always been like this since I'm using Spotify Connect. (basically since Sonos is supported) It seems to me that the app is designed that way. Also note that this is somebody else's idea voiced in a Sonos forum, I liked the idea and brought it here since this affects the Spotify app, not the Sonos app.

Current cell phone is a LG G6 (LG-H870, HW rev 1.0) running Android 7.0 (Build NRD90U, SW version V11g-EUR-XX)

Spotify app version is 8.4.35.152 armV7

Alfredo
Roadie

Alright!

In this case, let's make sure you're following these steps to connect your Spotify to Sonos. Also, let us know if this is happening while you're using the Sonos application or when you're casting directly from the Spotify app through Connect.

Keep us posted.

Matthaeus
Gig Goer

Hey Alfredo,

I don't know how I can say this any clearer. This is not an issue, it is an idea, it always was, that's why I originally posted it as an idea.

I don't have problems with using Spotify Connect, as I said, this is not an issue. My "problem" is, that you need to start to play a song FIRST and not until then one is able to select the target, e.g., a Sonos room. Hence my proposal to CHANGE THE APP (as opposed to fix the app) so that one can first select the target (i.e., Sonos, Chromecast, whatever) and then start to play the song.

What I am observing clearly is as designed, it even says so in the instructions you linked. Go to the page https://support.spotify.com/article/sonos/ then to the section "Smarphones and tablets". (sorry, I'm only shown the German versions and need to translate back, so the original wording might differ)

There no 1 clearly states: Tap, while a song is playing, on the bar "Current song"

My PROPOSAL is that this is changed because it leads to bad UX. If I'm not connected but want to start a Spotify song on Sonos from the Spotify app, I always need to start the song first, then connect to Sonos, then rewind the song.

It would be much nicer to be able to connect to Sonos without playing a song and then simply start the song.

So please don't continue to give me "support" but start to regard this as an idea.

Maria_B
Status changed to: Not An Issue

We're sorry for the confusion,

We’ll be sure to pass your suggestion onto the right folks here at Spotify.

If you think this is also something other Spotify customers would think is a good idea, be sure to add it to our ideas board. Those who also support your idea can then vote on it or add to the conversation.

Feel free to write us again if you have any more ideas or feedback.

Related Issues