Shuffle Is Only Going Through A Handful Of Songs

Hello, everyone!

I have finally signed up to Spotify premium and was excited to do the transition and reinvent how I listen and discover music. Spent a good 2 weeks building my library, with close to a 1000 songs downloaded on my phone (for offline listening), but when I shuffle the songs in my library, the same songs will start repeating after I've gone through 20 or 30 songs. This is not an issue with probabilities, I actually started skipping the tracks and finding that it was repeating the same 20/30 tracks I had already heard out of a pool of a 1000 songs. It's hard to believe a simple shuffle feature doesn't work, and it's hurting my experience. It's especially frustrating seeing that these issues have been going on for years. Is there an easy fix for this problem?

Hey folks,

If you're experiencing an issue with Shuffle while using Connect, there's a separate Ongoing Issue about it here. Make sure to head over there and add your vote to it.

If, however, you're experiencing an issue with Shuffle without Connect, then please check out our Spotify Answer about Shuffle issues here.

Thanks! 

Related Issues

Comments
-oidl2hv9u_b
Casual Listener
  • Huawei phone
  • The latest 9.0.1 something something
  • The latest something
  • Case 1: make a playlist of two albums by the same artist, then shuffle. Songs from the same album glue together. Case 2: make a playlist of any number of songs, all from different artists except for two, then shuffle. Those two songs will glue together.
  • Regarding albums, shuffling will usually leave the last song of the album last in play order.
  • No.
  • No.
  • No
teollo
Casual Listener

this is so embarassing

many years and it is not fixed

what a shame

marp00n
Visitor

DUDE WE ARENT LYING WHY DO YOU NEED SCREENSHOTS LITERALLY JUST MAKE SHUFFLE COMPLETELY RANDOM IT CANT BE THAT HARD CONSIDERING HOW MUCH OF YOUR CHILDRENS FOOD YOU BUY WITH THE MONEY WE GIVE YOU. STOP ASKING AND START DOING @meahtenoha 

HMF123
Visitor

- Samsung Galaxy S8

- Android 9

- Spotify 8.5.18.934

Hello!

I also have shuffling issues since I started using Spotify (which is now 3 years or so). It didn't get better at any point.

I usually shuffle through my whole library (about 800 Songs) for a few hours. And I can already tell which 10-30 songs I will hear. There are also songs that I heard only one or two times during all the years via shuffle.

This is never ever a real shuffle function.

I had a lot time to think about this issue and my only explanation would be, that the songs that always appear on my shuffle list are the "cheapest" for Spotify.

Onychinus
Visitor

This issue has been around forever. I know this thread is old, but the issue is currently relevant. I can not comprehend how spotify employees do not understand the issue considering is as prevalent as it is, which causes me and other spotify users to wonder if it is simply spotify not trying to solve the issue at all. Either way, I will answer the questions. @meahtenoha 

• Your device: Mobile and Desktop
  • Device's OS: Windows 7, Windows 10, IOS, Android
  • Spotify version: Always use most current version. As stated in another user's response, version is not an impacting factor. 
  • Exact steps to reproduce the issue: Playing any playlist/album/library of songs with more than 100 songs on shuffle results in only ever hearing a small portion of those songs every single time you attempt to shuffle. For example, on a playlist of mine with over 1,200 songs, if I shuffle, I typically only ever hear about 60 of them in the same order. 
  • Is this happening just with playlists? Albums or all?: Any body of music with a respectable number of songs. ~100 or more. So generally playlists. 
  • Is it only playlists with over a certain number of songs?: Generally only playlists with 100 or more songs. 
  • Is this happening only with certain playlists/ albums? If so can you link us here.: again, any playlist with 100 or more songs. 
  • When you hit 'shuffle' does it always start with the exact same song (please give album, playlist and song links)): it always starts with the same small percentage of songs. Not the same exact one song, but always the same tiny collection of songs out of the massive number on the playlist. Giving album/playlist/song links is irrelvant. 
  • Any screenshots/ videos are always helpful: As another user stated in their response, this is not an issue which can be visually represented with an image. 

Please do something about this. The lack of action taken on this issue that has been around for YEARS is extremely frustrating and unacceptable. 

Phreaque
Visitor
  • Your device: HTC U11 and Desktop
  • Device's OS: Windows 10, Android 9
  • Spotify version: Always use most current version
  • Exact steps to reproduce the issue: Playing my liked songs on shuffle results in only ever hearing a small portion of those songs every single time you attempt to shuffle. I usually only ever listen to my liked songs - I rarely listen to albums or other playlists
  • I Don't know as I only really ever listen to my liked songs
  • Is it only playlists with over a certain number of songs?: No idea
  • Is this happening only with certain playlists/ albums? If so can you link us here.: aI just listen to my liked songs which as nearly 1300 songs in it
  • When you hit 'shuffle' does it always start with the exact same song (please give album, playlist and song links)): it always starts with the same small percentage of songs. Not the same exact one song, but always the same tiny collection of songs out of the massive number on the playlist. Giving album/playlist/song links is irrelvant. 
  • Any screenshots/ videos are always helpful: As another user stated in their response, this is not an issue which can be visually represented with an image. 

Please do something about this. The lack of action taken on this issue that has been around for YEARS is extremely frustrating and unacceptable. 

zu35bpcfmius802
Visitor

Dymphla81
Visitor

Device: Samsung 9

Androidversion: 9

When choosing shuffle on a playlist it plays the exakt same order everytime. That dosn'tr make it shuffle since I know the order by now. I the added two songs to the playlist and now it plays the exakt same order as before and the adding the two new songs at the end. The new songs are not shuffled in to the other songs.

homerpez
Visitor

This is the most embarassing problem with Spotify. I have a playlist of around 1,500 songs that is large enough where I should not hear a single repeat in over a week. Instead, I hear the same songs, again and again, on a daily basis. Some songs I added, I never hear at all. This is on Android 10, but has been this way in the app for as long as I can recall.

The fix is simple: when you select "Shuffle Play", a random list of songs generates. It continues in order until all songs are played, or another Playlist is selected. Only then does it reset.

I am on my second try with Spotify, and again thinking of cancelling due to this issue. "Shuffle" is such a simple feature, please fix it ASAP!

Rob_C
Casual Listener

I've noticed that if you select a random song from a playlist and then shuffle from there then that song will be included in future shuffles. It leads me to assume that the shuffle feature includes an algorithm that sets it to only play songs that it thinks you will want to hear, which seems mad when the whole point of shuffling is to hear different songs!