Shuffle Is Only Going Through A Handful Of Songs

Hello, everyone!

I have finally signed up to Spotify premium and was excited to do the transition and reinvent how I listen and discover music. Spent a good 2 weeks building my library, with close to a 1000 songs downloaded on my phone (for offline listening), but when I shuffle the songs in my library, the same songs will start repeating after I've gone through 20 or 30 songs. This is not an issue with probabilities, I actually started skipping the tracks and finding that it was repeating the same 20/30 tracks I had already heard out of a pool of a 1000 songs. It's hard to believe a simple shuffle feature doesn't work, and it's hurting my experience. It's especially frustrating seeing that these issues have been going on for years. Is there an easy fix for this problem?

Hey folks,

If you're experiencing an issue with Shuffle while using Connect, there's a separate Ongoing Issue about it here. Make sure to head over there and add your vote to it.

If, however, you're experiencing an issue with Shuffle without Connect, then please check out our Spotify Answer about Shuffle issues here.

Thanks! 

Comments
jmod1
Visitor

I have a Samsung Galaxy 7.  I just signed up for spotify premium and like the other commenters, I am very disappointed in the shuffle function.  I created a liked list of 750 songs from over 100 different artists.  I did a 9 hour drive while listening to my liked list on shuffle and not only did I get repeat songs, but some artists were played 5 or 6 times and others (that actually had more songs in my liked list) weren't played or only played one time.  This is not what I expected from your service and I may have to cancel once my 3 month trial is up if it is not fixed.

Watootsie
Casual Listener

@eduardocastrof wrote:

Hello, everyone!

I have finally signed up to Spotify premium and was excited to do the transition and reinvent how I listen and discover music. Spent a good 2 weeks building my library, with close to a 1000 songs downloaded on my phone (for offline listening), but when I shuffle the songs in my library, the same songs will start repeating after I've gone through 20 or 30 songs. This is not an issue with probabilities, I actually started skipping the tracks and finding that it was repeating the same 20/30 tracks I had already heard out of a pool of a 1000 songs. It's hard to believe a simple shuffle feature doesn't work, and it's hurting my experience. It's especially frustrating seeing that these issues have been going on for years. Is there an easy fix for this problem?

The only way to get a pseudo-random playlist is not to use "Shuffle". Sort your playlist alphabetically, turn off Shuffle and play you playlist in alpha sort order...

Spotify has been silent on solving this for a couple of years now. At this point one can only assume that this issue is rooted in financial reasons (replaying songs within a time window is just one charge vs. playing all of your playlist with a charge for each song) and has nothing to do any technical challenges. Being a Premium customer has no affect on this behaviour (more the fool, us).
dakjek

Your device - many...
PC
Android Cell
Samsung Smart TV
Sony DVD w Spotify app

Device's OS – varies with device
Spotify version – current (bit hasn't changed since I became a member)

Exact steps to reproduce the issue
– just click or touch “Shuffle”

Is this happening just with playlists? Albums or all?
– all playlists

Is it only playlists with over a certain number of songs?
 – it seems confined to playlists that go over 100 or so songs.

Is this happening only with certain playlists/ albums? If so can you link us here.
No, I can’t. It is all playlists I have, as they are more than 100 songs.

When you hit 'shuffle' does it always start with the exact same song (please give album, playlist and song links))
– yes. When I select Shuffle, it sets up the same identical playlist every time. Yes, it has shuffled the songs but they are inthe same "shuffled order" from when I last pressed it. That never changes.

Any screenshots/ videos are always helpful. (Picture this... a s/s of shuffle illuminated/activated.)

The screen does not change. I can now anticipate the next song a majority of the time. New songs added do not necessarily get played again. The old "shuffled" songs play in the order of the very first time I used "shuffle". For the past while, I would go way, way dowm the list. Then start playing, press "shuffle" and it begins to play new(er) songs for a short period of time. Then it plays one of what has become an extemely familiar song and then goes on to play all of those extremely familiar songs in the extremely familiar order in which they have been played before. "Shuffle" seems to ignore the new additions and when it goes back to "same ol', sameol' thing" does not deviate from recycling those very familiar songs, ad infinitum! That has been going on for a LONG time.

A suggestion would be to make it truly random and shuffle the whole playlist completely, each time the feature is touched. Then algorithm needs to remember where one left off, so it can start again without repeating something heard dozens of times in favour of a truly random experience!