Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle play pauses music

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Android 7.0

My Question or Issue

When I press the shuffle play button it pauses my music when it used to shuffle songs again. Is it supposed to do this? And if so, is there a way to make it do what it did before?

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!

If you’re still experiencing this issue, make sure you update your app to the latest version by reinstalling. We advise you to also restart the app.

If that doesn't fix it for you, can you make a new thread in the relevant board? We'll get back to you there.

Thanks!

Comments
dumdrengi

I reinstall it but it is still the same.

Karinamarin

Same thing happening to me. Even reinstalling didn't change anything 

Mario

Hey @Lindsayjames86,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

It'd be great for you to read this support site article and follow the relevant steps listed in it to see if Spotify works properly as a result.

If the steps in the article don't do the trick, it'd be good to perform a clean reinstall and start with a brand-new as well as the latest version of the app. Take a look at this Spotify answer to find out how the clean reinstall procedure works for your device(s).

If what you reported isn't fixed after these attempts, would you mind sharing with us a screen video of what happens? It'll help us look into it in greater detail.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

firebuff101
I was already on the latest version; deleting and reinstalling did not solve the issue.
Katerina
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate taking the time to report having troubles with the Shuffle button on Android devices. We've reported this to our tech teams and they'll be looking into it!

If you're experiencing this, we'd first recommend trying:

• Clear the app's cache
  • A thorough reinstall 
  • Try the Shuffle button on a different playlist (preferably trying both user-created and Spotify-created playlists)
  • If possible, check if the issue persists when using a different Spotify account on your device
  • A different device
  • Connect to a different network connection

If the issue persists after trying those troubleshooting steps, make sure to add your +VOTE and details below:

• Details on the affected device (like its make & model)
  • Operating System & exact OS version
  • Exact Spotify app version
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried

We'll keep you updated in this thread so make sure you've subscribed, thanks!

Dene111

Mine has just started doing this after the most recent update. I spent an hour on chat with a Spotify guy, we tried everything on this list to fix the problem bar using another device. He finally said he needed to get the tech dudes to look into it.

I'm using Samsung s8. Model: SM-G950F

Android 9. Spotify version 8.5.45.620

EDIT: just updated to 8.5.46.859. NO CHANGE.

Blackrain91

I too am having this issue.
It started with the update released before the Feb 19, 2020 one on Android.

caitt_xoxo

Phone make and model: Samsung Galaxy S9

Operating system and OS version: Android 9

Spotify version: 8.5.46.859

Troubleshooting: So far I've cleared the cache and data multiple times then uninstalling spotify then immediately turning off my phone. I've tried just uninstalling spotify. I don't have anyone that uses spotify so I cant test their account. I dont have any other devices to use my account on. But the pause button pops up on every playlist (user-created and spotify-created) except for my liked songs. 

Didnt know how to comment my input for this issue, so leaving it here and already clicked the +VOTE button.

Borbis

Device: Moto z4, Android version 9

App Version:  8.5.46.859

Attempted: Clean Install, Cleared cache, Different Device, Different Playlist.

No other account to try.

Still not fixed. 

GrumpyBear

Plan: Premium 

Device: Huawei Mate 9 / MHA-L29

Spotify App Version: 8.5.46.859 (updated today but also happened with previous version, worked fine with version before that) 

Problem: Shuffle All button functions as a pause/play button after being used once within a playlist. 

Once you hit 'shuffle all' within a playlist the button will display 'pause'. Tap pause and it will display 'shuffle all' again. Tap shuffle all and it will resume playing the song from where it left off, effectively acting as a 'play' button rather than shuffle. 

In previous versions of spotify tapping shuffle all multiple times would shuffle your playlist order multiple times. In the current version of spotify to make the 'shuffle all' button actually shuffle again you need to open a different playlist. Of course, once you've shuffled* the new playlist the button reverts to pause/play functionality. 

*Actually, just tested it and as soon as a playlist starts playing, even if you selected a specific song instead of shuffling, the shuffle all button will only pause/play afterwards.

The only playlist it works properly in is 'Liked Songs'. Tapping shuffle all multiple times within liked songs will shuffle through that playlist multiple times (as intended). 

Steps Taken: All of them? I've cleared cache, data, reinstalled, 'clean' reinstalled, (it's super fun to redownload all my songs again and again btw, as if my ISP offers unlimited downloads - this is Australia, they don't), switched between multiple wifis, mobile data, logged on a different phone (samsung), and logged into a different account (my mother's, who owns the Samsung and is having the exact same problem). My phone software is as updated as it's going to get. (My mother's phone is only a few months old and even more up to date.) I even updated all my playstore apps because why the heck not. None of these steps help.