Premium

Country

Denmark

Device

Samsung Galaxy S8

Operating System

Android 8

My Question or Issue

I usually listen to music by going to 'Songs' and click shuffle or just play button. This usually means that some random song starts playing and when it ends, another random song starts playing. 

However, now as soon as the first song ends, the shuffle function automatically turns itself off and the next song all of the songs saved in the 'Songs' section starts playing. What is even odder is that the second song that gets to play is not the next song in the 'Songs' section but the first one (the last one I added). 

I also tried to figure out whether only my Android app is broken or also other devices. Both my MacBooks are working correctly. What doesn't work is if I share my music stream via Spotify connect with an external speaker, then open Spotify on computer and click next song - Shuffle is ON but it doesn't work - it seems like the fact that shuffle is ON on my mac's Spotify app doesn't affect the stream coming from my phone. When I turn the shuffle off and on again, the shuffle functionality works again correctly. 

At this point, I think that shuffle in my Android app is somehow broken but I haven't tested a clean install because I want to avoid re-downloading 21Gb of my offline songs. 

Hello,

Thanks for the info you've sent so far.

We are currently investigating the issue but feel free to send in more examples. If you are also affected, hit +VOTE and send over the following:

• OS version and device
  • Spotify version

If you are experiencing the issue that Spotify only shuffles the first 100 songs, please head over to this topic.

Thanks!

Related Issues

Comments
Rock Star 9
Rock Star 9

Hi, thanks for posting about this.

I just happened to notice this strange behavior on my devices as well. I'm also using a Galaxy S8. I tried a few different scenarios, and it seems that shuffle is working well between the phone and my Windows 10 computer, but shuffling from the Android phone to the Connect speaker is definitely not working. I force quit the app on my phone and tried shuffling from the computer to the speaker, and that seemed to work, except that it always starts playing from the first song on the playlist (based on my current sort order), and only seems to play from within the first 100 songs on the list now; somewhat related to this issue, as my understanding is that Connect can't queue more than 100 songs, so this causes a lot of problems with large playlists when the selection limits itself to 100 sequential tracks and doesn't actually shuffle from the entire playlist when choosing the songs for the queue.

From my experiences, I'd say the problem for me is most pronounced when using an Android device as the remote for the Connect enabled speaker, but it seems to be pretty buggy when using a PC as the remote too, so I'd venture a guess that the main issue would be with the Connect feature in the speakers and not so much the devices that are controlling them.

Anyway, that was my own experience trying to debug this a bit, and I'd say at this point I don't really think a clean reinstall will be necessary for you. I've also moved this post to Ongoing Issues so it will be easier for the Spotify team to see as well as allowing other users encountering the same issue to post feedback.

Status changed to: Need more info

Hey folks, 

Thanks for raising this issue with us.

As we pass this on to our tech folks, could you please leave the following info:

• OS version and device
  • Spotify version?

Don't forget to also leave a vote if you are experiencing this issue!

We'll keep you posted right here.

Thanks!

mrtn2
Casual Listener

Hey

Spotify: 8.4.79.630 (the latest available at the store). The store msg says 'Last updated Nov 8, 2018', which is roughly when this issue started.
OS and device: Samsung Galaxy S8, G950FXXU4CRI9, Android 8.0.0 

Edit: I don't seem to experience this issue anymore. Will update this post if I can emulate it again. 

Rock Star 9
Rock Star 9

Just double checked, and the desktop behavior is still exactly the same as yesterday.  Android now seems to have changed somewhat, but it's still not functioning quite correctly. Here is all the relevant information for my various devices, always with the Connect speaker being the most problematic device for me, however, it appears shuffle as it relates to Connect has significantly changed and this is turning out to be kind of a multifaceted issue.

Connect Enabled Speaker: Samsung Shape M5

Device 1: HP Envy Laptop, Windows 10 Home version 1803, Spotify 1.0.93.242.gc2341a27

Device 2: Surface Pro, Windows 10 Pro version 1803, Spotify 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7 (Windows Store Version)

Device 3: Samsung Galaxy S8, Android version 8.0.0, Spotify 8.4.81.536

In the case of Windows, when I start a playlist with the green play button, and shuffle activated, the Connect speaker will always start from the most recent song on my playlist and turn shuffle off. It turns out this is not affected by my sort order. I can then successfully turn shuffle back on, but it will only shuffle from this portion of the playlist...basically, it's as if it is shuffling from whatever was initially queued by the system rather than initiating a fresh shuffle.

When starting from Android, using the green shuffle play button, I tried shuffling a few times, and the shuffle button is no longer being toggled off; however, it is still only pulling selections from the most recent 100 tracks of the playlist, just like on desktop. After these few tests, I've noticed that now it has reverted again to the behavior from yesterday of playing tracks sequentially, even though the shuffle icon is still on. It appears that it reverts to sequential ordering if I start the shuffle while the desktop app happens to be open at the same time, and then if the desktop is closed and I start a shuffle from Android, I get the alternate behavior where it only pulls from those most recent 100 tracks but does shuffle them.

Finally, if I shuffle between Android and Windows, I can successfully shuffle, but it's exhibiting the same behavior of only pulling from the most recent 100 tracks on the playlist. Please note, this not the issue where only 100 tracks will be queued if using Connect, as in that case it still would normally select 100 random tracks from throughout the playlist, whereas now it's literally only choosing songs that were recently added.

Anyway, apologies if the secondary issue with it shuffling only a small portion of the playlist muddies the waters at all. Just something that I came across in connection to testing the issue with enabling and disabling the shuffle function.

alphabetod

Device 1: Linux PC, Arch Linux, Kernel 4.19.2, Spotify 1.0.92.390

Also an Android Phone, but I can't post it because "it's not permitted in this community".

Connect Device: MEDION internet radio (MEDION LIFE P85035), Spotify 1.18.0

petero3

Same problem. Only started occuring recently. Cannot get playlist to shuffle with Spotify Connect on Samsung M7 speakers.

Macbook with OSX High Sierra. Spotify 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7

givememoar
Music Fan

Yup same issue for me! 

Connected devices affected: Denon X1200 current firmware and FireTV Stick 2nd Gen with current Spotify version. Controlling with Spotify for iOS current version. 

Status changed to: Need more info

Hey folks,

Thanks for raising this with us.

It seems that a number of you are experiencing a variety of related issues.

The original issue, reported by @mrtn2, is that the shuffle function turns off automatically after playing one song when using Connect. 

If you're experiencing the issue described above, could you please leave the following info here:

• OS version and device
  • Spotify version?

If, however, your issue is that Spotify only shuffles the first 100 songs when using Connect, please head over to this thread here.

Thanks!

Rock Star 9
Rock Star 9

For me, the issue now appears to be resolved on Android, but it is still occurring when starting a playlist from the desktop software to a Connect speaker.

Connect Enabled Speaker: Samsung Shape M5

Computer: HP Envy Laptop, Windows 10 Home version 1803, Spotify 1.0.93.242.gc2341a27.

Still the same situation where when I first start the playlist it automatically goes to the first track and disables shuffle, which then has to be manually re-enabled.

Rock Star 9
Rock Star 9

And of course after I said Android was working, I started having problems again. Now what is happening is that the shuffle icon is staying activated, but it is still reverting to playing the tracks sequentially. I've discovered this only seems to be happening on larger playlists. It works perfectly at the moment if the playlist is shorter than 100 tracks and sometimes if it's a little more. It's not handling my playlists with 2,000 plus tracks well at all, as I'm completely unable to make shuffle function correctly with them over Connect from Android to the speaker. Not sure of the exact number that is breaking it though. 

Here is my Android device again with the updated Spotify version: Samsung Galaxy S8, Android version 8.0.0, Spotify 8.4.81.558