Sound quality on Google Home sounds like low bitrate MP3 (Premium subscription)

Plan: Premium (Family)

Device: Google Home

My Question or Issue

Over the past couple of weeks the sound quality through my Google Home and Google Home Mini have been terrible. Everything sounds like really low bitrate MP3 at high compression settings. My internet connection is >20Meg and playing from Google Play on the same devices sounds great. Are there settings for this? Is it a network issue? How do I fix it?

Hey there everyone,

We really appreciate all your reports and patience so far.

We've let our tech team know, and they're investigating this.

Right now, we're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest and best.

Thanks!

Comments
Andyscuff

Yep. Just got a free home mini from Google for having a Google one account. 

Sound quality with Spotify is still very poor.  Sounds like a very low bit rate version of the songs being streamed. 

It sounds a little like having the data saving mode on on th Spotify app, but obviously this issue has nothing to do with that.
PhiliSunshine

Same problem here, on all my devices (Home, Home Max, Home Mini). I switched to Play Music cause of the sound quality. I would love to come back to Spotify if this problem is fixed.  

FL3JM
Casual Listener

Same problem as you guys, really depressing to read this whole thread seeing that Spotify hasn't solved this issue for quite some time. :\

liosch

As of now, I'm pretty sure this has been kinda resolved, songs have been compressed in a new way and most of what is released these days sounds ok. I had a feeling this lasted for a while a year and a half back (around the summer of 2018 and after, I can verify, I put my songs into monthly datedfolders), they were basically using a different codec, just a supposition. Because all songs / albums released back then sounded like mp3.com. Now IMHO, sound is ok, and I believe theres too much work (and not much money to make) to re-compress songs from that particular period of time. So, what I'm basically saying is that they had a quick meeting in a small basement at Spotify HQ and said "now everything is fine let them talk". Yes, now it seems fine, but there are still tons of releases that sound bad and will continue to sound bad in the future, because they won't do anything about it.

PhiliSunshine

@liosch Nope. It is not solved and the compression of older songs is not the problem. When you connect your smartphone with your Google Home device with bluetooth the sound is fine. If you stream the same song directly with WiFi it sounds terrible. 

Teamtrax
Casual Listener
Agreed, this is NOT resolved. Sound is still terrible.

##- Please type your reply above this line - ##
liosch

I typed "kinda resolved".

Mortenofdenmark

More like "kinda not resolved at all"

bollox
Visitor

@liosch I'm sorry but what you are saying is total rubbish. Spotify work with full uncompressed audio, and then encode this for delivery to the clients at multiple bitrates. Yes they change codec now and again (I believe it's currently OGG) but the issue is the Google home always selects the lowest bitrate from Spotify. 

This is most certainly not resolved.

liosch

@bollox so based on your theory, you should complain to Google and not Spotify. I'm sorry about my rubbish, but if you want hi-fi, just use a proper system, not a Google Home.