Spotify App crashes on iPhone using USB-Connection in the car

I use Spotify Version 6.5.0.1665

on an iPhone 4S

I like to listen to spotify in the car, I do this since I got Spotify premium, so I know, it worked before. There have been no changes made with the car software, so thats noch the point.

I have a BMW without iDrive, which means, I just use Spotify by USB-connection, but the moment I plug the USB-Cable on my iPhone4S the Spotify-App freezes I cannot navigate or start music.

After a few seconds the app crashes and I have to reopen the app with the USB cable still plugged in.

When I stop the car and want to unplug the iPhone, the same happens.

After unplugging the app freezes and after a few seconds it crashes.

Really annoying when you listening to an audiobook with over 100 titels and you have to search the right titel again.

It worked before, I did this all the time, listening at home with headphones, get into the car and just listening still to the same title by just plugging the USB-cable in, but now the app crashes everytime.

What I did till now:

I did try this with a different account from a friend.

I reinstalled the app

I reseted the iPhone

Btw. with amazon prime music everything works just fine!?

That's great to hear @boardy1980

We're happ that it seems to be working for you now. As we've seen other reports of this being fixed, we'll get this issue closed off for now.

If you do spot any further issues, please feel free to create a new Ongoing Issue thread and we'll take a look.

Thanks 🙂

Comments
Jim

Hey @boardy1980

We hear you and understand your frustration. Rest assured we're passing your details on to our teams backstage and working hard to find a solution for you. Thanks for confirming those details for us, we know that they may sound small but it can help us.

You mentioned that you won't close/reopen Spotify after you plug your USB cable in, as you'll lose your place when listening to a track. Does this only happen when Spotify is set to Offline Mode? Also, we'll pass your feedback about our Audiobook titles to our teams backstage too.

Just to check, do you have the latest iOS updates available for your device?

Thanks for bearing with us. 

boardy1980

Hi @Jim,

thanks for your answer.

As I plug in the USB cable the app freezes and crashes after a while, when I reopen the app (USB cable still plug in) the app restarts completly and then it loses the last track info. 

When the app is back, it shows the start screen.

It doesn't matter if Spotify is set to offline or online mode.

Mara_F

Thanks for that info @boardy1980

Just to check - do you have the same issue if you open the app while the USB cable is already plugged in? 

In the meantime, can you check if you have any iOS updates? 

Hope to hear back from you soon.

boardy1980

@Mara_F, as I said in my description "After a few seconds the app crashes and I have to reopen the app with the USB cable still plugged in." Yes, it works, when I open the app after it crashes and after the phone is plugged in.

But the second I unplug the phone the app crashes again.

And iOS 9.3.5  is the newest iOS you can get for an iPhone4S.

Do you really need more infos?

Mara_F

We're trying to gather the info we can get in order to investigate and report it to the right folks @boardy1980! You've been very helpful with the info you've provided. 

"After a few seconds the app crashes and I have to reopen the app with the USB cable still plugged in." Can you not reopen the app after the app crashes? 

Can you give it a try differently this time? Just make sure to plug in the USB cable before opening the app for the first time. Does it work? If so, can you unplug it and let us know if it crashes? 

We'll be right here waiting to your reply 😉 

boardy1980

Hi @Mara_F,

1. after the app crashes and the iPhone is still plugged in, I am able to open the app and listening to music, but the second I unplug the USB cable the app crashes again.

2. I connect the iPhone with the USB cable, start the app afterwards. Then I can listen to music, but like in test 1, the app crahses when I unplug the USB connection.

Connecting or deconnecting causes the crash.

Mara_F

Cool @boardy1980, thanks for trying. 

It's good to know that you're able to use it without any issues if you plug in the USB cable before opening the app. 

One last thing, can you try these 2 tests?

1. Do the test 1 steps, but this time close the app first and then unplug the cable. Does it crash? 

2. Do the steps above and then open the app after unplugging the cable. Does it work without any issues? 

Keep us posted.

boardy1980

Hi @Mara_F,

I don't know, when you want me to close the app.

Test 1:

- open the app

- choose a song, press play

- connect USB cable

- app crashes

- then I have to close the app and start it again (USB cable still plugged in)

- afterwards the app works as expected

Test 2

- open the app

- choose a song, press play

- connect USB cable

- app crashes

- then I have to close the app and start it again (USB cable still plugged in)

- afterwards the app works as expected

- press pause

- unplug USB cable

- app crashes

- then I have to close the app and start it again (USB cable not plugged in)

- after the apps starts, it works again

The app seems to have a problem with meta-reading dockingstation.

As long as the app needs forever to start after reopen or just open it, I get really frustrated by using it.

Starting and loading playlists takes almost 3 minutes, that reminds me of using the internet with a modem in the late 90ies.

Mara_F

Sorry we weren't clear @boardy1980

Let's do it this way: 

Test 1. 

- Plug the USB cable.

- Open de app.

- Close the app.

- Unplug the USB cable.

Questions: 

1. Did it work? 

2. Did the app crash at some point?

Test 2. 

- Plug the USB cable.

- Open de app.

- Close the app.

- Unplug the USB cable.

- Open the app.

Questions: 

1. How was the app's performance? 

2. Did it crash?

That'd be it 🙂 

boardy1980

Hi @Mara_F,

I tested both version. Just for me to know, by closing the app you mean really closing it, not just minifying the app by clicking on the home button, right?

Closing = double click on home, swipe up to close the app

Test 1:

I opened the app and closed it again and uplugged USB, I don't know what you expect from it, but yes it worked. Nothing special happend.

Open the app when the USB is already plugged works, thats what I wrote before.

Test 2:

I opend the app, closed the app, unplugged USB and startet the app again, also works.

When I provide test 2 by just clicking on the home button and minify the app when the test says "close the app" and open the app again after unplugging USB, the app is frozen and crashes after a few seconds.