Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify + Chromecast Audio Connection Keeps Dropping

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone X, iPhone 8, Chromecast Audio (3 devices), Motorola MG7315 modem/router

Operating System

iOS 13

My Question or Issue

Hi. We have 3 Chromecast Audio devices on my home network connected via a single Motorola MG7315 modem/router. All devices are confirmed to be running the latest firmware. We cast Spotify from either an iPhone XR or iPhone 8 running iOS 13. We have the latest Spotify app version on our phones. All Chromecast audio devices have <60 dBm signal strength. Lately we've been having an issue where Spotify is randomly dropping the connection to the Chromecast Audio devices. It doesn't matter whether one of us is casting to a single Chromecast Audio device or group of devices. But if a group of devices is playing, they all stop together when the casting "drops." Sometimes the issue happens several times within in an hour, requiring us to reconnect the device within the Spotify app each time to resume casting. It's super frustrating! The drops seem to happen at random, and it doesn't matter which phone is casting.  The phones can be sitting untouched/locked when the casting is interrupted, so it doesn't seem like obvious app interference on iOS. We only have ~8 devices connected to the home network, and there's nothing out of the ordinary about them (e.g., a TV, a couple of iPhones, MacBooks, Chromecast Audio devices), so it's not obvious that there would be device interference. Please help with ideas! The Spotify/Chromecast Audio setup had been working really well for a couple of years before this issue started presenting itself a couple months ago. Thank you so much!

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this. We'll be marking this as NRN, as our teams have already rolled out several improvements to improve the experience reported. As we're always rolling out improvements in the app, we'd recommend making sure to keep all your devices up to speed with any updates so you won't miss the latest.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
Xenia
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

We're seeing reports that during playback the connection to Chromecast Audio devices is randomly dropping out.

We can confirm the right teams are aware of this, and they're looking into it.  If you’re experiencing this issue, we'd first recommend deleting and reinstalling the Spotify app, rebooting your device, router, as well as Chromecast and make sure that all devices are up to speed with any software updates.

In case the issue persists, let us know by adding your +VOTE and the following details in a comment below:

• Make and model of the device(s) this is happening on.
  • The Exact version of the operating system.
  • The Exact version of Spotify.
  • The Chromecast firmware version.
  • Are you playing via voice commands or Connect?
  • An approximate time and date that this happened

Once we have that, we will pass it on to the relevant team, who will look further into it.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks!

szmerd

- iOS 13.4 iphoneX 

- Spotify v. 8.5.49.1123

- Chromecast 3  1.42.172094

- connect from Spotify app

Crash app after 2-5 mins

PTSC

- iOS 13.3.1 iPhone 7 and 8 and iPad mini

- Spotify v. 8.5.49

- Chromecast Audio (4 units) firmware - 1.42.172094

- Connect from Spotify app

music dropping  out constantly. Also takes ages to connect to Chromecast audio device(s).

currently switched to Soundcloud, works as It should - connection to Chromecast audio is immediate and no audio drop outs or disconnects.

Please fix ASAP

BidiM

Pixel 3a Android 10 latest

2x  Google mini in stereo mode latest fw

Latest Spotify app

Google mini keep disappearing in cast menu spotify

Restart of Spotify something makes them reappear

Other apps can stream fine to mini's when Spotify looses them

sciw2g5ajck6e

Please help!  Spotify keeps stopping for 5-10 seconds then starts playing on it own for 20-30 seconds then stops again over and over.  This really sucks!!!!

• Make and model of the device(s) this is happening on.
  • OnePlus 6T
  • The Exact version of the operating system.
  • Android v10 and OxygenOS v10.3.1
  • The Exact version of Spotify.
  • Spotify v8.5.50.916
  • The Chromecast firmware version.
  • Chromecast firmware 1.42.172094
  • Are you playing via voice commands or Connect?
  •  I'm casting from the Spotify app.  Not using voice.
catmug

Having the same issue with Spotify, when casting to two different Chromecast Audio units on the same Wifi connection. Both units are on firmware version 1.42.172094. Spotify is latest version iOS. Casting directly to the Chromecast Audio units via Spotify iOS app.

RickardB

TO SPOTIFY:

• Make and model: iPhone 6s, 7, 8, and 11
  • Spotify: 8.5.51.877
  • The Chromecast firmware: 1.42.172094 
  • Are you playing via voice commands or Connect? Not voice commands.

Come on Spotify! I have five iPhones and three Chromecasts. I had the problem for six months. Possibly all versions has been updated during this time. Why are you stalling by asking these questions? It really does not seem to be a highly specific problem in just a specific combination of devices.

I cast from several providers/apps. It all works flawlessly except for Spotify which barely works at all.

Dhddkj

OnePlus 6 

Android 10

Spotify 8.5.50.9

Doesn't really matter which device or version, tried connecting from my wife's iPhone, with a different account, from PC and from iPad. All have the same issue.

TJ10

Over 2 months and still no fix? My phone - ios iphone se and latest updates installed for all apps/system etc and spotify with chromecast is practically unusable. Cleared cache, rebooted etc etc.

I'd prefer it if you stopped **bleep**-farting around with how your app looks and start putting some hard yards in on it's functionality. We have 6 spotify accounts in our group where this happens to us all.

BarryStaes

This sounds like one of the problems i'm having regularly with Spotify Android app.

• Make and model of the device(s) this is happening on. = Xiaomi A1
  • The Exact version of the operating system. = Android One, v9, march security update
  • The Exact version of Spotify. = 8.5.51.941
  • The Chromecast firmware version. =  GROUP with Chromecast Ultra 1.42.183786 (wired) + Nest Mini  (wifi)
  • Are you playing via voice commands or Connect? =  I use the Spotify app directly, and let it cast in that weird menu, if thats what Connect is.. i dunno.

I have a Chromecast Ultra, Nest Home Mini, (and some other Google Cast devices i wont get into) and i noticed some months now a problem where BOTH devices in a group are available/online, but their group does not become visible.

Maybe a few minutes later when i start fidgetting with the Google Home app, that (nearly always) shows them with a few seconds. I feel like the Spotify is not properly reloading the latest info on Cast devices.

I pay spotify to do one thing, but somehow fails where other apps make this work without a sweat.

Also, very very often about 5 songs in, Spotify forgets it was playing on another device altogether. The phone forgot all notion of controlling my music, untill i reopen the Spotify app, connect to the same devices (if i can) and then stop+start to take over the control again.

There is several more things with Spotify and Chromecasts that go wrong more often than not, things that no other app has an issue with. Plex works fine. Youtube works fine, Netflix, Prime, Disney, other Cast apps, all no problem.

But somehow Spotify always has problems just playing audio on these devices. And then has the nerve to reserve 75% of the screen real-estate for ads for some Spotify speaker i certainly do not want if they dont even get this working like anyone else seems to be capable of.

Right now, another issue here is that sinds a few days my Spotify stops after playing one song. Always. I pay Premium but its somehow refusing to play, a lot. I complete erased and reinstalled the Spotify app on both my PC and Android already, but it does not seem to help. Even setup some Cast devices anew, but also no difference.