Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify + Chromecast Audio Connection Keeps Dropping

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone X, iPhone 8, Chromecast Audio (3 devices), Motorola MG7315 modem/router

Operating System

iOS 13

My Question or Issue

Hi. We have 3 Chromecast Audio devices on my home network connected via a single Motorola MG7315 modem/router. All devices are confirmed to be running the latest firmware. We cast Spotify from either an iPhone XR or iPhone 8 running iOS 13. We have the latest Spotify app version on our phones. All Chromecast audio devices have <60 dBm signal strength. Lately we've been having an issue where Spotify is randomly dropping the connection to the Chromecast Audio devices. It doesn't matter whether one of us is casting to a single Chromecast Audio device or group of devices. But if a group of devices is playing, they all stop together when the casting "drops." Sometimes the issue happens several times within in an hour, requiring us to reconnect the device within the Spotify app each time to resume casting. It's super frustrating! The drops seem to happen at random, and it doesn't matter which phone is casting.  The phones can be sitting untouched/locked when the casting is interrupted, so it doesn't seem like obvious app interference on iOS. We only have ~8 devices connected to the home network, and there's nothing out of the ordinary about them (e.g., a TV, a couple of iPhones, MacBooks, Chromecast Audio devices), so it's not obvious that there would be device interference. Please help with ideas! The Spotify/Chromecast Audio setup had been working really well for a couple of years before this issue started presenting itself a couple months ago. Thank you so much!

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this. We'll be marking this as NRN, as our teams have already rolled out several improvements to improve the experience reported. As we're always rolling out improvements in the app, we'd recommend making sure to keep all your devices up to speed with any updates so you won't miss the latest.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
Yannwester4
  • Make and model of the device(s) this is happening on: Google Pixel 4 -> Chromecast (built into Vizio TV, Model V405)  
  • The Exact version of the operating system: Android 11. 
  • The Exact version of Spotify: Spotify premium, 8.5.89.901
  • The Chromecast firmware version: Unknown, built into TV, as above
  • Are you playing via voice commands or Connect? - Voice commands AND Connect (same issue)
  • An approximate time and date that this happened: Today, 1/18/21
Cakey123445

I posted on this yesterday with having constant disconnects and despite resets then it would still go wrong.  Recap below....

Brand new Nest Audio, wont run for more than 10 minutes without stopping/pausing when streaming Spotify. I've rebooted, makes no difference. Runs for a few minutes then just stops, asking google to pause/play often works to get it going again. Wifi is always connected.

iPhone Xs Max - iOS 14.3

iPhone Spotify App - 8.5.86.739

Nest Audio System Version - 231584

Nest Audio Cast Firmware - 1.50.231584

My Nest Audio was connected to my routers 5GHz network, I have different SSIDs for 2.4GHz & 5GHz wifi setup on my router to control access and make sure I know/control whats connected to what frequency.

Out of desperation I disconnected the Nest from the 5Ghz based SSID and paired it back on to the 2.4Ghz based SSID. Since doing that I've not had ANY random pauses/disconnects, all though yesterday and half of today. Its on in the background pretty much all of the time.

It's worked for me, no idea if it will work for you (or if you've got your AP setup so you can do that.) perhaps something to try.

kevinlb

Happens over Connect with a chromecast group, casting from an iPhone. Same thing happens with multiple iphones and rebooting all devices. All software/OS versions are latest.

Likabrinkman
  • It happens with my phone and laptop, (phone: samsung galaxy a50, laptop: HP). 
  • I have the version 8.5.94.839 of spotify
  • Don't know which chromecast i have, but it is quite new (half a year)
  • i use it via spotify, and then connect to device and click on chromecast
  • It happens all the time, just stops in the middle of a song or it won't go to the next song. almost every other song it happens all day. It happend half a year ago a well, but then after a while it stopped. Since two weeks it's happening again. 
  • Tried everything, deleting spotify, reconnecting to wifi, restarted chromecast, deleted cash history etc.

I found out it does work when you go to chromecast and stream your screen of your phone, however connection is not great (sometimes it's cracking) but it does not stop the music. 

Cotters

How can this be marked as Not Right Now when this is clearly broken?

I cast from lots of other apps (BBC Sounds, BT Sport, Netflix) and none of them have the continual drop outs that Spotify has. The connection is very poor, sometimes I can't see the devices, other times I can but then the stream stops.

Like most people here I have the latest App and firmware on my devices, in my opinion this is a poor implementation of the functionality and the vendor doesn't much care.

OberDesiah

I can't use my digital Hifi-setup at home with Spotify and Chromecast Audio. Connection drop after a minute or so. Every. Single. Time.
Sometimes it works for a couple of more minutes, after jerking around in google home, changing network etc. 
It's been like this for years now, time to take action(I am that lazy..).
Migrating to Google Music or whatever. 

hatobesan

SPOTIFY! We need more answers! Please explain your costumers when can we expect to get an solution to this problem!

I prompt other users to rise your voice and demand answers from spotify! I want an update on this problem from Spotify immediately!

Sūrreālists

This could easily be an Android version / WiFi / Background task limiting thing.

What I've discovered is: Spotify on Marshall London (Android 5) works fine, is stable over many hours, but Xperia L4 (Android 9) drops the connection after 10-30 minutes it feels, so I have to use Marshall just for Spotify+ Chromecast Audio lol.

Talking about limiting yourself and not going the Raspberry Pi route or something.

millenium_neil8

Having this issue on pixel 3, Android 11. Random disconnects and difficulty reconnecting. This issue has been around for more than a year. Please fix it.

kaared

I started Spotify on my Android and could see my two Chromecast Audio devices and two Spotify Connect devices (Sonos 3 and Volumio w/plugin). As soon as I also run Spotify on my Mac, only my Sonos, Android and Mac are available (same list both Android and Mac). If I quit Spotify on my Android then the Mac shows all devices again. So, I'm lead to believe there is a defect when there are multiple Spotify clients active.