Lineup Signup
Help Us Fix Metadata - Read more

Spotify Connect - Allow "System" Accounts

Encountered: I was listening to a playlist at work via my desktop app for mac. Without any warning playback would stop. I realized that it was playing a completely different song on my Google Home (at home).

Reasoning: My wife asked Google Home to play a playlist via voice commands. Since my Spotify account is connected to my Google Home it just took control.

Resolution: Since I have a family account, what I could do is create a system account for my house and share my playlists with that account so that it could play something else concurrently with what I'm listening to on my devices.

Is this the best resolution? Is there some other setting to allow the Google Home to play something else concurrently while I for example listen to something in my car?

Hi @dilipram!

Thanks for reaching us out through the Spotify Community.

A Spotify account is intended for personal use, as it allows to stream on one device at a time. Have you checked Premium for Family? You can add up to 5 sub-accounts and each one of them will have the opportunity to choose their own music.

We're closing this for now, but feel free to create a new thread if you need help with something else.

0 Likes

Related Issues

Comments
Status changed to: Not an issue

Hi @dilipram!

Thanks for reaching us out through the Spotify Community.

A Spotify account is intended for personal use, as it allows to stream on one device at a time. Have you checked Premium for Family? You can add up to 5 sub-accounts and each one of them will have the opportunity to choose their own music.

We're closing this for now, but feel free to create a new thread if you need help with something else.

dilipram
Music Lover

Leonardo, I have Spotify family, but using one of my accounts for my Google Home doesn't seem to make sense to me because I have to do extra work to share playlists between myself... and myself. There has to be a better solution.

Hey @dilipram,

Sorry for the delay! 

You can add more than one Spotify account to Google Home through the Multi User functionality.

This means that each of the Spotify account is linked to different Google accounts that are linked to one Google Home device.

If you get stuck with this, we'd recommend reaching out to Google. They should be able to help here. 

Let us know how you get on :)