Spotify Connect on wired or wireless device

Hi,

I used to be a happy user of a Pioneer SC-1223 with Spotify Connect which worked nicely with all my devices. Now it is said that Spotify drops support of "custom apps" and my receiver is listed under the devices for which the support is being dropped. 

On the other hand, it is listed on Spotify Gear under supported Pioneers. 

Do I understand it right that Spotify changed the way the music is streamed to this device? How do I get it to work exactly?

It says everywhere "make sure the speaker and the phone/tablet are on the same WiFi". Is it important that the receiver is on WiFi? It is currently connected by Ethernet - I would need a separate $150 adapter for WiFi, so if at all possible, I'd like to avoid needing that. They are on the same IP network, just that the receiver is wired. Should that work?

The device shows up on all device menus in Spotify, but won't connect. 

If the only way to make it work is to put it on wireless network, I'd like a solid confirmation of that, if possible with a technical explanation, as I don't understand how one IP connection would be different from the other. I have a Premium account and I think I deserve a proper explanation of my options. 

Thanks!

Hey @makassiouk!

Some of the speakers that aren't supported, can't be used through Spotify Connect anymore. In this case, regardless of the internet connection you use, even if it shows under devices, it won't play.

We suggest trying other options to link your speaker to the app, like Bluetooth or using an Aux cable. You can find a full list of options to try here.

If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to open a new thread.

All the best.

Comments
Leonardo
Status changed to: Need more info

Hi @makassiouk!

Welcome to the Spotify Community.

We suggest first updating the firware from your Pioneer receiver by going here. Once this is completed, try to use Spotify Connect with your current network settings and let us know if it does the trick. It is recommended to use Connect through a WiFi network, as the information that is firstly taken to connect from both devices is the mac address from the WiFi adapter. It should still work through LAN though!

Let us know if it works.

makassiouk

2018-02-09_00h21_30.png2018-02-09_00h22_49.png

Thank you for the reply. I did install the firmware update (mine was just a couple of digits lower than this one, quite recent, as well). You can see from the screenshots above that the AV receiver and my PC are in very close proximity even by IP addresses, so - on the same IP network, in any case. My computer can access the web-interface of the player just fine. No changes however regarding spotify connect - still doesn't work. Although the computer sees the player in "Available Devices", but won't switch the playback to it.

2018-02-09_00h27_24.png

(nothing happens if i click on SC-1223).

You wrote "the information that is firstly taken to connect from both devices is the mac address from the WiFi adapter". Does it mean that both connecting parties look for a wireless adapter on the network to determine that they are "related"? Or something similar? My network might be slightly more extended than a "typical" home network with a single device that serves as both the gateway, dhcp server and wifi access point. I have 2 wifi adapters for instance, could that cause the confusion? This is easy to check though, if i eliminate one of them. 

Please, the more technical details you are able to provide, the better chances for me to ever listen to some jazz again. 

Thank you so far!

Yuri

makassiouk

Update: removing all but one wifi devices didn't work. Neither did it work connecting the computer with an ethernet cable to the same switch box the receiver is connected to... 

In all cases the device registers with the spotify application, but doesn't play.

Alfredo
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Hey @makassiouk!

Some of the speakers that aren't supported, can't be used through Spotify Connect anymore. In this case, regardless of the internet connection you use, even if it shows under devices, it won't play.

We suggest trying other options to link your speaker to the app, like Bluetooth or using an Aux cable. You can find a full list of options to try here.

If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to open a new thread.

All the best.