Announcements

Spotify Equaliser BADLY Broken on iPhone

On my iPhone 7 (latest OS update), the EQ has a really bad defect that makes it impossible to listen "Flat".

Very easy to reproduce:

1 - Set the equaliser to some mad settings (e.g. no treble, loads of bass)

2 - Switch the EQ completely OFF - and listen carefully to the sound

3 - Set the equaliser to opposite mad settings (e.g. no bass, loads of treble)

4 - Switch the EQ completely OFF - and listen carefully to the sound

Since the equaliser if OFF in steps 2 and 4, the sound should be identical - it is not. Not even close! It seems like the EQ OFF switch is leaving some bands active.

In steps 2 and 4, selecting "Flat" (which also switches off the EQ) doesn't help either - some bands are very audibly still boosting or cutting despite the graphic showing a flat line.

Editing the "flat line" response as part of this experiment is revealing; as you *slightly* move the bands on the flat line, you can hear them suddenly "snap" back to neutral - so clearly they've got out-of-sync with what the UI is showing.

Would be good to prioritize fixing this; otherwise I can't trust what I am listening to on Spotify - which is a big deal for the work that I do.

Hey @great-bear!

As we haven't heard back from you in a while, we'll be closing the thread.

Don't hesitate to open a new one if you need us again.

Cheers.

Comments
Hubo
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey @great-bear, thanks for reporting this!

Hmm, that's not cool! Could you send over your iOS, Spotify and device versions? Also, could you try a full reinstall of the Spotify app? That might help. Let me know how you get on! 🙂

Have an awesome day!

great-bear

Full re-install makes no difference.

System info as requested:

- Phone: iPhone 7

- Output: Bluetooth headphones (checked with both Beats Studio3 Wireless and Plantronics BT600 headset)

- iOS: 11.2.2 (15C202)

- Model: MN922B/A

- Spotify: v8.4.38.634

Let me know if you need anything else...

SergioDavid

Thanks for the info! 

Does the issue persists if you're not listening through Bluetooth? Also, does it keep happening if you log out and back in after changing the EQ settings? 

Let us know.

great-bear

Issue is fully reproducible with fresh install, login/logout and on speaker and on both wired and wireless headphones. 

Hope that helps

William_13

Got it.

Just to confirm, do you have any stock equializer setting on? If so, does turning off the stock equalizer make any difference?

Keep us posted 🙂

great-bear

Stock EQ settings make no difference.

In fact, you can use the stock settings to demonstrate the issue:

1 - Choose a stock EQ setting

2 - Turn EQ off and listen to a track.

3 - Choose a different stock EQ setting

4 - Turn EQ off and listen to a track

In steps 2 and 4, the track is demonstrably different. As I mentioned in the original post, switching the EQ acts as if some - but not all - frequency bands are disabled.

You can verify this by using white noise as a test track: https://open.spotify.com/track/3MTjv5rUgAQNPHABhRId2P?si=ZAxCWP9dQjSI97Jxe91s8A 

William_13

Got it @great-bear, thanks for the info.

Just to confirm, do you make the changes to the equalizer while a song is playing? If you edit the settings and then skip to the next track, does it make any difference?

If that's the case, try pausing the song, editing the equalizer settings and check if it still behaves the same way after resuming playback.

It'd be super helpful if you could send us a video that shows what happens exactly.

Keep us posted 🙂

Alfredo
Status changed to: Closed

Hey @great-bear!

As we haven't heard back from you in a while, we'll be closing the thread.

Don't hesitate to open a new one if you need us again.

Cheers.

Env: prod