Spotify Free (ads) causes browser to launch on malware / virus websites

There's something pretty alarming going on right now with Spotify Free. This started a several hours ago. If you have Spotify Free open, it will launch - and keep on launching - the default internet browser on the computer to different kinds of malware / virus sites. Some of them do not even require user action to be able to cause harm.

I have 3 different systems (computers) which are all clean and they are all doing this, all via Spotify - I am thinking it's the Ads in Spotify Free. I hope this has been noticed and Spotify staff are fixing it - fast. But it's still puzzling something like this can actually happen.

From what I have read so far I have understood this issue has been happening with Spotify Free before. Nevertheless, it's really dangerous for users and amazing how it has not been fixed. These malware launches probably happen during showing certain ads but malware / virus sites have nothing to do with the advertisers. Tells how big of a problem it seems to be (hacked server, spotify admin accounts etc)...

Hey,

We've identified an issue where a small number of users were experiencing a problem with questionable website pop-ups in their default browsers as a result of an isolated issue with an ad on our Free tier. We have now identified the source of the problem and have shut it down. We will continue to monitor the situation. If you see this issue again, please let us know the exact date and time in this thread.

Thanks as always for bringing your reports to the Community! 

Related Issues

Comments

I don't think it's fixed - I got a pop up advertising the Brit Method. How do I know if my machine is infected with something now?

A small number of users? Based on the comments it's a pretty significant amount of users, considering most don't bother commenting here or don't even realize Spotify is the cause of this malware.

user-removed
Not applicable

Virus alert from Bitdefender (15. Nov. 2016): spotify.exe is accessing an infected web ressource on http://c.us1.dyntrk.com/adx/rbcn/us.php?dynk=r1b32c0n.

Spotify deleted.

I'm starting to have the same problem in which the ads on spotify open a window in my browser! Is there anything I can do in order to make it stop?

Good afternoon,

I work for a High School as an IT Tech, and we have had a similar issue happen to a student here. The link in question was http://audio-ec.scdn.co/audio/594c5d11b65c53cc300a9bdeabd93433b5a26289

Date/Time: 30 November 2016, 13:40:56 PST.

As we are a 1:1 iPad school, it was most likely done on an iPad (so no harm done to the student), spotify player version: Spotify/6.8.0.

Destination ip: 93.184.215.151. Port: 80.

Hope this helps some. Obviously clicking on the link nothing appears, and I can't even figure out what ad it is, and this is the only student out of 800 that has had this appear so far. So I think it's more than likely one malware. According to what we use, here is what it is being detected as: http://fortiguard.com/encyclopedia/virus/6964515

I have been having the same problem on the browser streaming version, not the app. It happens eradically and seemingly spontaneously. The frenquency varies, but sometimes its happens even multiple times a minute.

Definitely NOT fixed...

EDIT: I think it may be caused by a specific ad. As far as I can tell it happens usually right after clicking on something, when the page reloads a new add at the bottom of the screen. I cant tell what ad though...

My Problem is the fact that even when spotify isn't running ads will come on randomly and its more than annoying. I had my laptop closed with no programs what so ever left on or still running in any way shape or form and **bleep**ing spotify ads will start playing as well. happened a total of 3 times when the laptop was closed and its regular occurrance that spotify ads will come on randomly when its not even running. It happens when I am running spotify as well when im listening to my playlist adds will play at the same darn time. If im going to have to deal with bugs malware/virus problems like that I might as well go back to pirating and do away with spotify cause I troubleshoot over and over. I have ran through all my firewall settings ran scans uninstalled the program and installed 5 **bleep**ing times. I even deleted my last account and started another one.

It is only one specific ad that is causing it that I can see. However, I have no way to be able to confirm which ad unless I sit there for possibly days scanning and running wireshark, and without being able to do that the company we use for antivirus can't confirm. It is pretty unfortunate.
Casual Listener

This Problem has either not been resolved, or it has returned.  Several times now over the last serveral weeks I have started recieving "phishing attempt" messages from my antimalware.  It took me a while to figure out what software was attempting to run, (sometimes I was not even running a browser).  It has become clear that this is related to Ads in the Spotify client. This happened again just 10 minutes ago. The moment I ran Spotify, the first ad loaded and my bitdefender client flagged as malware immediately.  1:12am (UTC) 4Feb2017.  If Spotify is going to serve Malware to their customers, I'll listen to music on another service, there are Many alternatives to choose from these days. 

Capture.JPG

Just happened to me.