Spotify Mobile randomly stops scrobbling to Lastfm

Device:

iPhone 6

Operating System Version:

iOS 9.2

Spotify Version:

Description:

Spotify Mobile randomly stops scrobbling to Lastfm, happened multiple times with newest version.

To reproduce:

1. Just listen and the problem will probably occur, high reproduction rate. I believe it does not happen under a session but rather to new sessions after the app idles in the background for a while.

Workaround:

Restarting the mobile app seems to fix this issue, but it is frequently reoccuring. Reentering last.fm password without restarting the app does not seem to work.

Additional information:

Spotify Destop and Web are scrobbling just fine so I believe the issue is on Spotify.

Hey all!

Just a quick heads up - Our developers are investigating this issue and haven't any more updates at this time.

In the meantime, please make sure you have the latest version of the Spotify installed on your device. This is the best way to be sure you're getting our most recent fixes, and new features.

We'll keep you posted here with any info in future 🙂

Related Issues

Comments
Roadie
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hey there! 

Thanks for letting us know about this. Can you try to reinstall Spotify? Just make sure to follow these steps: https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify. Let us know if it helps.

Keep us posted.

Casual Listener

Yes, I'll try and see if the problem reoccurs in the coming days.

Casual Listener

Alright, some updates. I have reinstalled Spotify from the App Store and the issue persists. I'll do some further testing and see if I can locate what behaviors might be the cause.

I do suspect that it may have something to do with travelling through areas with poor 3G connection, as so far it only has occured after I have been on the road, and not at home with WiFi or within cities/towns where 3G connection is very good. The disruptions on the route I often travel on are only brief though (a few seconds up to ~20 seconds with no connectivity or Edge network with very slow connectivity), but they do come and go a few times. Spotify does not seem to resume on scrobbling after the connection is restored, still only after it is restarted.

Actually, looking at the times stamps of the scrobbles brief disruptions pf connectivity does not seem like the direct cause. Nothing was lost during the actual travel although the problem normally starts the session after a couple hours later, either not scrobbling at all or stops after one or two songs. It is most likely idling, pausing a song under poor connection, or playing a media link in Safari for an extended time/switching back and forth.

Hi

I am also having a similar issue to this.

Device:

iPhone 5S

iOS 9.2

Spotify Version:

(also had issue in 4.70)

Description:

Spotify Mobile is not scrobbling to Last.fm when using Spotify mobile app via 4G mobile data

To reproduce: 

Play a song on Spotify app with wi-fi connected - scrobble appears on last.fm. Pause song, switch to mobile data then play a number of different songs - none appear on Last.fm. Have not appeared after a number of hours.

Desktop app scrobbles just fine. Issue started to occur on or around 15th January. Have reinstalled Spotify, checked all last fm credentials, turned last.fm scrobbling on and off, ended and restarted session on Spotify app multiple times and nothing seems to change it.

Device:

iPhone 6

iOS 9.2

Spotify Version:

Description:

I appear to have a similar issue.  After trying various suggestions (restart, offline mode, enable/reenable scrobbling) the problem kept returning within hours.  This morning I noticed that the iPhone 6 will scrobble fine if within range of my computer as long as spotify (with scrobbling enabled) is running.  I can reproduce this behaviour consistently.

Roadie

Hey there!

Can you try scrobbling from other apps under the same exact network conditions? Let us know how it goes. 

Also, detail the steps you take to do this.

We'll see what we can suggest. 

This was what I already did in my previous post.  My computer was scrobbling fine while my phone wasn't.  I have shifted between at least 4 different networks since posting this (including mobile data) and the results are the same.  The phone won't scrobble tracks.  It does occassionaly appear on last.fm as "Now scrobbling" (in yellow) but the track vanishes once the song is changed. 

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my phone and it worked for a few songs but reverted back to not scrobbling correctly.

What additional information do you need and I'll happily provide it.

Casual Listener

I may have narrowed down the cause. What I noticed was the times it doesn't work (at the start of a session play a new song and check last.fm), after I restart the app and let Spotify connect, most times if not always I find myself in the middle of a completely different different song instead. It seems that it could indicate a problem with Spotify not recognizing what song it is playing after long times of idle.

Roadie

@kouphax Hey! 

Can you give us a specific, step-by-step rundown of the process?

We'll try to recreate this from our end. 

Hey @Steph_B

TBH I think my original observed behaviour (iPhone app scrobbles when near my Mac) was a side effect of my most recent observation (tracks marked as "currently listening" but aren't persisted in last.fm after track finished).

In terms of step-by-step rundown there is nothing suprising.

1. Open spotify on iPhone (whish has correct last.fm credentials)

2. Play a song

3. Notice that last.fm marks it as "currently listening"

4. Let the song move to the next track

5. Notice that last.fm marks the new track as "currently listening"

6. Notice that last.fm has not persisted the previous track.

It look as if the app has only paritally implemented the last.fm api (see http://www.last.fm/api/scrobbling - "Now Playing" vs "Scrobble").  If you need anything else let me know.