Spotify Not Importing iTunes Playlists

Device:

Desktop App

Operating System Version:

OS X 10.11.1

Spotify Version:

1.0.16.104.g3b776c9e

Description

I have my Spotify setup to sync with offline files through my iTunes folder. The songs are listed in my Local Files folder in Spotify.

While trying File -> Import Playlists -> iTunes nothing happens.

I've done a complete uninstall of the app and related system files and re-installed the newly downloaded app.

Same problem.

I was going to include the .dmp files mentioned in https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Troubleshooting-Windows-amp-Mac/td-p... those don't appear in the system folder any longer.

To reproduce:

Click File -> Import Playlists -> iTunes

Workaround: 

N/A

Additional information:

Nothing happens when it is clicked.

Hey everyone, the Spotify Community team here.

Starting from Spotify desktop version 1.0.74, it’s no longer possible to migrate playlists from iTunes and other media players. 

This decision was carefully made with the goal of creating the best experience for our users.

Don't worry, it's easy to recreate any playlist with Spotify. There's also lots of cool ways to customise them. If a song you’re looking for isn’t available, you can still import it as a Local File and add it to your playlists.

Thanks!

Comments
Oreste
Composer

Hey @relaxedg!

Thanks for reaching out to our Community.

We would like to get some additional info on this. Can you let us know how many local files you're trying to sync from your iTunes library? Also can you confirm these are supported files eg: mp3, .mp4, and .m4p

If QuickTime is installed on your computer then .m4a files are also supported.

We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you!

Pricilla
Spotify
Spotify
Status changed to: Under investigation

relaxedg
Casual Listener

The local files are syncing just fine. There are about 6,500 of them.

The problem is that the iTunes playlists are failing to import and sync in Spotify.

aramis1250
Regular

I also am having this problem.

Mac OS X 10.11.1

Spotify 1.0.16.104.g3b776c9e (Desktop app)

1) Launch Spotify Desktop

2) Click "File"->"Import Playlists"->"iTunes"

Expected:

Something to happen

Actual results:

Nothing happened. No crash, no dump files, it appears to be simply ignoring the request completely.

Workaround:

None.

jean3601
Community Legend

Hey Ladies and gentlemen!

Could I ask if you are still experiencing this issue in 1.0.18?

aramis1250
Regular

I'd quote your query, but I can't (the Quote button only quotes the OP, and "Quote" under "Options" on your post does nothing).

Yes, this behavior still occurs under 1.0.18.

relaxedg
Casual Listener

Still occurring. 

And also an update. I mostly use my desktop app. The Local Files properly show there, so when you asked if they were syncing, I said yes. But, on my phone, they don't show up.

I'm wondering if this isn't a software problem, but an account level problem. Would this problem fix itself if I just created a new account?

Also, I'm a Premium user. This is really discouraging me from using your service though. Over a month and no fix yet.

relaxedg
Casual Listener

[crickets]

Adam_B
Spotify
Spotify

Apologies for the delay here!

@aramis1250 Just to check, are your iTunes files stored on an external hard drive at all? Or are they stored in the default location?

@relaxedg It looks like there are a couple of different issues here. Are you able to import tracks from iTunes into Spotify on your desktop? If so, great! You'll need to sync them in a different playlist to listen to them on your phone. To do this, follow these steps.

relaxedg
Casual Listener

My iTunes folder isn't in the default location. 

My Local files show up on desktop, but they don't show up on mobile. I don't really care about viewing all of my local files in one massive playlist, so creating a Local Files playlist doesn't matter to me. 

What I'd like is to be able to see my Local files in the playlist that they are in on my iTunes, but I'm unable to import playlists from iTunes for some reason (which is my main problem).

Why is something that used to be so simple and easy now decrepate and difficult?

Related Issues