Premium

Country

USA

Device

Windows Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.535

My Question or Issue

Spotify auto updated yesterday and now it will not run.  It attempts to start up then closes down.  I uninstalled today and reinstalled v1.1.22.633.g1bab253a from the website and it does the same thing.  I have spoken with several other people who hare having the same issue.

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate your reporting this and providing us all this info. 

We've passed this all to our tech team who are investigating this. If you’re experiencing this issue, we'd first recommend to make sure to cover the following troubleshooting steps:

• Perform a clean reinstall. You can find the exact steps to do so here.
  • Check the firewall and make sure Spotify is set as an exception.
  • Disable any antivirus or ad-blocking software, and turn off VPN if in use.
  • Check if the proxy settings are set to default (auto-detect).
  • Remove host files. Head here to find out how.
  • If possible, switch to another internet connection (WiFi, mobile data via tethering, or going direct via LAN cable).
  • Try accessing the web player before re-attempting to log back in to the desktop client.
  • Run Spotify on Safe Mode.

In case the issue persists, let us know by adding your +VOTE and the following details in a comment below:

• Your device and its OS version.
  • The exact Spotify version.
  • An exact description of your issue (include any error codes you are getting).
  • Approximate date when the issue started.
  • The troubleshooting steps you have tried so far.
  • Are you on a corporate or private network?

• Is this only happening on a work computer? Does Spotify work on other computers at home?
  • Can you access the web player?

Once we have that, we will pass it on to the relevant team, who will look further into it.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks!

Related Issues

Comments

Hey @pcc - help's here!

Did you download the app for desktop directly from the Spotify website, or did you download it from the Windows Store?

If you've tried one of the above and it didn't work, do you mind trying the other and seeing if that works for you instead?

If neither of those work, could you try a clean reinstall of the app, making sure to clear all app data in the process (step 4 in this support article)?

Thanks! Keep us posted 🙂

Gig Goer

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the late response, I've been on vacation and this was an issue at work. I have tried the installer from the website and from the MS app store (uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times) and they both fail at launch.  This seems to be an issue on all of our computers here at work (I'm the Systems Administrator) not just mine.  The previous version worked fine but since the latest version at the time of my original post (and I just tried a clean install again with no luck) fail on all of our work computers.  I had one user here who had not received the Spotify update for several days after mine stopped working and it was still working fine for him (I forgot to check the version).  But as soon as his computer pulled the Spotify update it stopped working like everyone else here at work.

Is there a "debug" mode I can turn on to capture some error data for you?

Thanks!

Gig Goer

Since then I have also uninstalled my Sophos anti-virus software and uninstalled the Microsoft Windows 10 update that happened right before the Spotify update.  Then rebooted and reinstalled Spotify again and it still crashes at launch.

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @pcc 

I'd suggest trying another network connection on any of the computers where Spotify fails to launch.

You could also try checking your gateway firewall to see if there's anything Spotify / fastly-related that is being blocked.

About debugging, check out the Event Viewer logs, maybe they hold information on what's happening.
Spotify has a debug.log file under %appdata%\roaming, but I don't know how much it will help you.
(note: I have three errors there and everything works on my end.)

About the post - most likely just a bad detection. 🙂

Let me know how it goes!

Gig Goer

@Sebasty

I'm not seeing a debug.log file in the %appdata%\Roaming\Spotify folder.  Do I need to add a switch to the Spotify shortcut to get it to create the log?

I just double checked Event Viewer and it does appear to be logging a warning.  Searching the registry for the CLSID and APPID they both appear to be referencing "RuntimeBroker.exe" but it isn't helpful to me (see below).  Again, absolutely nothing with the workstations changed other then Spotify updating and then not working.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 1/7/2020 2:10:39 PM
Event ID: 10016
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: *****\******
Computer: ***************
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user *****\****** SID (S-1-5-21-1794716677-328732843-9522986-1163) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">10016</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-01-07T19:10:39.967908800Z" />
<EventRecordID>47323</EventRecordID>
<Correlation ActivityID="{ad42fa74-52bb-4ad5-98cf-b50621151cbc}" />
<Execution ProcessID="1176" ThreadID="20584" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>***************</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1794716677-328732843-9522986-1163" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">application-specific</Data>
<Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
<Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
<Data Name="param4">{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}</Data>
<Data Name="param5">{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}</Data>
<Data Name="param6">***************</Data>
<Data Name="param7">************</Data>
<Data Name="param8">S-1-5-21-1794716677-328732843-9522986-1163</Data>
<Data Name="param9">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>
<Data Name="param10">Unavailable</Data>
<Data Name="param11">Unavailable</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Gig Goer

Looks like another of my replies may have been removed as spam.  Please restore it.

Gig Goer

I found another post on the forum that showed the command to display a console.  Attached is the results of running Spotify to the console.  It is showing a storage error but the path it references does exist.

spotify error.JPG
Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

@pcc 

I see your Event Viewer post, no worries 🙂

I tried running the console on my client to see what I get, I got the same error:

storageerror.png

..with changes on error and OS error numbers.

Does your Spotify client crash with this being the last output in the console?

I'm also not sure that the DCOM event is connected to Spotify. Does it happen at the same time (repeat if you will) when Spotify client refuses to work?

There's also Windows applet called Process Monitor that allows you to see exactly what processes are going on in the system. Maybe that shows something interesting at the time Spotify crashes.

Also, does the workplace have proxy/VPN?
You could try reinstalling Spotify cleanly using this guide, and using the offline installer.

Let me know your findings 🙂

Casual Listener

I also have the same issue. I cannot use the desktop app on my Windows 10  laptop.

I tried all the solutions on the forum however i still cannot use it.

From what i have seen, each time when i open the app, the Ram usage on the application sky rockets to the point it hits 96% and then it crashes.

I dont know if i should start my own thread or see the updates in this one?

Visitor

Have the same issue here. I tried reinstalling via Windows Store and also via the installer from the website. The program starts with loading ~2GB ram and then crashes. I am also not able to click anything since the program does not respond.

This is also version 1.1.22.633.g1bab253a