Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify causes MacBook freeze

MacBook Pro, Early 2015

Spotify app version: 1.0.51.693.g6ea1e7f6

macOS version: 10.12.4 (bug started appearing after update from 10.12.3)

Description:

After a several minutes Spotify starts to show graphical glitches. When mouse is moved into them they disappear. Those graphical anomalies appear to be shown just above buttons. Also sometimes album art disappears for a several minutes and suddenly reappears back. If application is not closed (killed) and is on foreground then eventually system will freeze for several minutes or forever. When system is in freezed state music continues to play but mac does not react to any signals (keyboard, mouse, ...). The only solution is to kill the application if it is possible or manually reboot the system. Sometimes MacBook restarts self after showin kernel panic screen.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open Spotify application

2. Use it normally

Other information:

When Googling I found that I'm not the only one with this problem. Please look at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7910669 where another user desribes same issue. I can also confirm that if I do not open Spotify mac app everything is fine. Right now I'm using web app and it is okay.

Attachments:

Two pictures showing those graphical anomalies.

Snímek obrazovky 2017-04-05 v 13.29.34.png
spotify1.png

Hey @mroczis

It has been determined that this is not a Spotify problem.

It is suggested that you contact Apple for support. 

Comments
Hubo
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey @mroczis! Welcome to the community!

Great report! Alright, first things first, could you try to reinstall Spotify on your MacBook? Let me know how you get on!

Have a nice day! 🙂

mroczis

@Hubo After reintallation this problem is still present 😞

Snímek obrazovky 2017-04-06 v 8.50.32.png

Alfredo

Hey @mroczis!

Thanks for giving it a try.

We had a similar issue where users were reporting kernel panics over a year ago, until Apple fixed it. Have you tried some of the troubleshooting posted on the thread you sent us?

Try reinstalling Sierra and running your Apple Hardware Diagnostics to see if it helps.

Keep us posted.

MattSuda

I've seen other mac users post screenshots of these lines and dot glitches appearing in the app.

No problem for me on both of my macs

MattSuda
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Hey @mroczis

It has been determined that this is not a Spotify problem.

It is suggested that you contact Apple for support. 

deesaf1

I spent an hour on Apple support trying to fix this problem, and we determined that it is a Spotify problem. 

Care to respond?

MattSuda

Hey @deesaf1

I suggest you contact support so they can help you

https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

You can also tweet or DM @SpotifyCares on Twitter or send a message to Spotify Cares on Facebook.