Spotify crashing when switching output device

Plan

Premium

Country

DK

Operating System

Windows 7

My Question or Issue

When I change the default output device in the Windows sound manager, Spotify crashes every time. 

With crashes, I mean it continues playing the last second or so of sound on repeat on the previous device (without any sound on the selected device), and I can't interact with it. I have to kill it via Task manager, then open it again before it can play sound on the newly selected device. 

I have been switching output device like this for over 6 months now without problems, but it started doing this recently. Did Spotify/Windows update something to break this?

Hey folks,

Glad to hear that this is now fixed for you in the latest update for the app 🙂

Let us know if you continue to experience any issues by leaving a comment below.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation!

Comments
Turbulens

Confirmed working now.

As above said, took a bit too long to fix, but it got fixed at least.

I'll keep my Premium......for now.

Next time, handle major issues when we actually devote a lot of time to give you all the info, a bit more efficient.

Peter
Status changed to: Fixed

Hey folks,

Glad to hear that this is now fixed for you in the latest update for the app 🙂

Let us know if you continue to experience any issues by leaving a comment below.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation!

matzel

Awesome! Thanks for fixing!

fir55torm

This is still an issue for me...

skoenig

@PeterThis says fixed, but I'm still having this issue: When I switch from playing Spotify on my Macbook to my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9), the app freezes and must be closed several times, and I usually also have to switch to a new track to get it to work.

saintface

@skoenigthis issue was about switching output on a single device, for instance from speakers to headphones, not when switching between devices from Mac to PC or phone. Please check if there is a threat regarding Spotify freeze on Mac.

Clbrown04

This is still an issue for me as well. However, I have narrowed down the issue a bit. I switch between a wired headset and bluetooth headphones on my Macbook (both hooked up/connected at the same time), and it seems to occur when switching output devices *only* after leaving Spotify dormant for some time *and* only if I switch the output device while music is playing. This will trigger the "Can't play the current song" error message and I have to fully close the Spotify app on my computer, and then restart the app in order to get playback to work again. However, if I pause the music and then switch output devices, the issue does not occur. 

Akmal_Ariff26

its happening to me now and I dont know how to fix it. I have the latest spotify desktop app now in windows 10

Dominanti

Started to be an issue earlier this year for me. I switch between my headset and speakers throughout the day. Used to be able to use my soundswitch hotkeys to change output devices seamlessly and it works for everything else besides Spotify.

I am using a desktop running Windows 10 using the Spotify desktop app. 

caxapexac

Its 2022 and its still crashing. Almost always crashes when I change headphones to builin laptop sound. Windows 10