Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashing when switching output device

Plan

Premium

Country

DK

Operating System

Windows 7

My Question or Issue

When I change the default output device in the Windows sound manager, Spotify crashes every time. 

With crashes, I mean it continues playing the last second or so of sound on repeat on the previous device (without any sound on the selected device), and I can't interact with it. I have to kill it via Task manager, then open it again before it can play sound on the newly selected device. 

I have been switching output device like this for over 6 months now without problems, but it started doing this recently. Did Spotify/Windows update something to break this?

Hey folks,

Glad to hear that this is now fixed for you in the latest update for the app 🙂

Let us know if you continue to experience any issues by leaving a comment below.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation!

Comments
Odrahcyr

If you want to disable auto update after installing 1.0.94.262.g3d5c231c do the following steps:

1. create the folder Update in \Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Local\Spotify if it does not already exist

2. create two empty text files inside the folder and name them update.json and  spotify_installer-TTTT.exe (no .txt at the end!, if a newer version is released you need to change the version number on the exe)

3. make the update folder and the two files read-only (via right-click -> properties)

Note:

replace TTTT with 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b-12 (posts with the full installer name are blocked automatically)

Biggsy1

All worked ok until this update installed today 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b

All my Sonos devices are listed but can't connect to any.  Just hangs then pauses the current song. 

* Windows 7, 64-bit

* Spotify 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b

* two audio outputs I frequently switch between: Realtek High Definition Audio 6.0.1.7256 (on-board sound card), and NVIDIA High Definition Audio 1.3.37.4 (TV and/or second monitor over split HDMI cable)

Katerina
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey there folks,

Thanks for all your reports so far.

This is being investigated by the right teams. If you're experiencing this issue, we'd suggest clicking the +VOTE button so you can keep up to speed with any news regarding this.

In the meanwhile, we'd recommend making sure that you've enabled automatic updates on your devices. 

We'll let you know here as soon as we've got any updates. Cheers!

Biggsy1

I found the problem I have is due to a duplicated Sonos speaker showing only in spotify (desktop version).  The crash occured if I tried to select the non existant device or the group of devices which spotify thought it was part of.  The duplicated device is only visible in spotify and not in the Sonos application.  I renamed the device in Sonos so I can identify the correct one in spotify and avoid the ghost duplicate.  I can't get rid of the ghost duplicate from spotify. It always remains in the list even after an unistall/re-install and removing offline devices. 

RarestParrot

This issue is going on two months now, I'm about to cancel my spotify subscription and go to amazon music if they don't fix this soon because it's incredibly annoying. Living with other people, I have to go between headphones and speakers quite often, and I lose my spots in my playlists when I have to force close the app. 

SLIPITH

Almost 2 months....And you want me to keep my premium?

bmgnrs

I'm considering cancelling my Premium subscription as well.

papay100

Another update today, I was expecting a fix and of course Spotify team didn't do anything to resolve our issue. They just don't care.

saintface

Please make sure you vote on this. I don't understand how is this issue ignored, it is crashing daily for me when I plug in headhpones and switch device.