Spotify crashing when switching output device

Plan

Premium

Country

DK

Operating System

Windows 7

My Question or Issue

When I change the default output device in the Windows sound manager, Spotify crashes every time. 

With crashes, I mean it continues playing the last second or so of sound on repeat on the previous device (without any sound on the selected device), and I can't interact with it. I have to kill it via Task manager, then open it again before it can play sound on the newly selected device. 

I have been switching output device like this for over 6 months now without problems, but it started doing this recently. Did Spotify/Windows update something to break this?

Hey folks,

Glad to hear that this is now fixed for you in the latest update for the app 🙂

Let us know if you continue to experience any issues by leaving a comment below.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation!

Comments
khepri84
  • Spotify version: 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b
  • OS and version: Windows 7 64bit, up to date
  • Since when this is happening: since latest update, I rolled back to 1.0.85.259.g4ab01679 and it is working fine with this version
  • Between which audio devices you are switching: Asus motherboard output to HyperX 7.1 Audio but it happens in general even if I switch to a different output from other devices (e.g. recording USB audio device)

You can reproduce the problem with AudioSwitcher for example (https://audioswit.ch/er).

Sebasty

It's pretty normal for a program to have multiple process threads. See Chrome for example. Nightly (Firefox) also has multiple threads, and Spotify isn't too different from them.

Back to topic - I have also noticed that issue. However mine happens when I change any setting in my ASIO panel. This is how it goes (when Spotify is open or recently closed):

1. Open the ASIO control panel (I own a Focusrite device), change any setting to any value,

2. a) when Spotify is open, it will look frozen, audio looping or missing, nothing works;

b) when Spotify was recently closed and you try to reopen it after changing the setting, it will give this:

unrespond.PNG

3. To get Spotify to work, I'll have to use Task manager or other task overseer apps to kill the process(es). Terminating one with the highest memory intake terminates all others with itself.

Spotify version: 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b
OS and version: Windows 7 SP1
Since when this is happening: Tricky question. I used to have an Asus Xonar device where I could switch output by clicking on the volume knob. The computer saw the change and Spotify handled it well too. That device has been dead for a year though. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 doesn't have output switch, you just turn up the vol for one thing (speakers) and turn down the other one (headphones), the computer doesn't see this. The issue happens only when I modify ASIO settings.
Changing ASIO settings does disrupt audio service, but other programs handle it fine (Foobar asks to re-assign an output device).

Daisy
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey everyone,

Thanks for sending us over these details!

The right teams are now looking into this and we'll let you know when we get any updates. Please add your vote (+VOTE) if you're experiencing the same issue. 

We'd like to ask you to update audio drivers and reinstall the Spotify app using these instructions. If that doesn't help, please send us over the following if you haven't already:

• Spotify version
  • OS and version
  • Since when this is happening
  • Between which audio devices you are switching

Thank you! Have a good one 🙂

SovereignWolf

I'm having the same issue, 

• Windows 7 x64
  • Spotify version 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b
  • Logitech G933 Gaming Headset
  • NVIDIA High Definition Audio
  • NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
  • Realtek High Definition Audio

Was not having this issue until this month, I've used this for over a year and been able to disable/enable my speakers/headphones to switch back and forth. No issues before. 

jonpurple

Hello,

You have to install an oler version of spotify such as 1.0.57

It will fix your problem ! 

(I had the same issue as you ) 

And don't ofrget to block automatic update !

Have a good day

-Red

@khepri84 wrote:

• Spotify version: 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b
  • OS and version: Windows 7 64bit, up to date
  • Since when this is happening: since latest update, I rolled back to 1.0.85.259.g4ab01679 and it is working fine with this version

How did you revert to a previous version? I tried running an old installer and it still just installed the newest version.

khepri84
Hello, I have followed an unofficial procedure described online. It
explained how to prevent Spotify from auto updating (I really would like to
have an option in the configuration of the software.. Auto-update is pure
evil ;)). After you block the auto update you can install wathever version
you want.
olaruud

Have this exact problem as most describe. Truly annoying as i switch outputs quite often. 

W7 64bit

asus rog onboard audio, latest drivers

newest spotify after auto update

switching between headphones and optical dig out. 

it appeared in december i think, took some time before i linked it to switching outputs. 

fr-drik

Exactly the same problem over here as well.

Changing the default speaker through windows playback devices triggers this bug.

Updated Spotify and audio drivers, without any changes..

Spotify: 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b

Started: About a month ago

marxpopp

Reinstalled as described in insctructions, didnt help.

Since the issue occured i even reinstalled the whole OS, so i dont think thats the issue.

Spotify: 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b

Happening since fall/winter 2018
Realtek Audio 6.0.1.7560, Codec ALC887
Switching between front audio jack and rear audio jack.