Spotify in Linux Client - turns me off!

Device: 86x64 Desktop Computer

Operating System Version: Linux Mint 17.3 (debian derivative)

Spotify Version: Cannot read this, since the Help menu options are UNDERNEATH some advertizement

Description: Fairly unusable! Had to reinstall several times, or restore from backup and start over again.

To reproduce:

1. Step 1: Beware of the first thing you do, since it *COULD* bring down the whole computers useability at once
  2. Step 2: Play some music (free account) and wait for advertizement. dont bother with display, just listen
  3. ... : as soon as the first advertisement kicks in, the whole computer/desktop/interface freezes, not even a clean shutdown left. So cold restart, restore from backup and repeat the loop

Workaround: Kick Spotify altogether

Additional information: I read somewhere, you would be using Linux interface yourselves at Spotify. So was optimistic - alas, no cookie

I intended to get this message out to the dev's, but couldnt find contact anywhere. After DAYS, i managed to contact the comunity. But unfortunately, that doesnt seem to be the right place.

Sorry guys!

Hey @spotify-testy!

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out to us with your feedback.

We're marking this as "Not an Issue" right now, as we don't officially support Linux. But one of our Community members has posted this thread with some helpful info.

0 Likes
Comments
spotify-testy
Casual Listener

Version of Spotify - according to apt: 1:0.9.17.1.g9b85d43.7-1

spotify-testy
Casual Listener

as a matter of fact, i use Spotify very sparsely to search and listen for specific music titles, when a free account has always been sufficient.

Previously, i used the windows client via WINE from linux with success, until an update around mid-december killed that one.

Conclusion: either way no $$ to be made from users like me, at least not before serious work on useability has been done + the amount of work from my side got down.

Finally, apart from the recent contractor change, there is some work left concerning data safety. As a german user, i am not ok with all the data, spotify is collecting, while i am online. (For example, it knows about my entire local music collection.)

sebastiankreuz
Spotify Legend
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Hey @spotify-testy!

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out to us with your feedback.

We're marking this as "Not an Issue" right now, as we don't officially support Linux. But one of our Community members has posted this thread with some helpful info.

Related Issues