Spotify infomration by Mail: Stopping services for Pioneer receiver SC-2023

I just get an email, that for my Pioneer SC-2023K AV receiver the spotify service will be stopped. As I am using it as multi-room solution, I am wondering why and would like to know the reason for that. Can someone give more details?

In addition to the mail I got from Spotify, they paste a link in the mail, with featured devices and by the way, the Pioneer SC-2023 is in the list of supported devices.

*strange*

In addition to that upcoming problem. How can I secure, that my next device will be supported by Spotify and not "switched off" in the next month?

br Tim

Hey folks, welcome to the Spotify Community!

As Spotify looks to improve the overall Spotify experience, they are removing the app from Pioneer devices.

With new wireless streaming opportunities, it’s now easier to simply connect Spotify to your different devices rather than having an app for each. They believe this change will provide you with much smoother listening sessions.

Don’t worry, there are still plenty of ways to stream Spotify on your speaker! Check out their guide here or head to this link.

Let me know if you have more questions, I'm always here for you 🙂

Comments
j_boek

I received the same email. My device name: VSX-924 (older model)

McTrucky

Similar story from me.  Spotify email says support for my pioneer speakers will be discontinued and suggests I buy a streamer.  My Pioneer is a an sc77, a £1500 AVR that is still listed as supported on the Spotify site.  Not throwing it away anytime soon, and while I could buy a streamer, where is the guarantee that this would not happen to that in a few months?

tjakobi
Regular

Some un/miss satisfying answers:

I hope, that I am allowed to post it, thx for Danica and John for support:

Maybe, this helps others as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Spotify,
well, whats the reason for that?
I am using an Pioneer AV Receiver SC-2023K, which is by the way in the list of supported devices.

See:
https://www.spotifygear.com/type/hifi/
Pioneer VSX-44
Wireless Hifi receiver
Range includes:
VSX-1023 (US), VSX-828, VSX-528, VSX-S510 (Europe), VSX-823 (US/ASIAN), SC-79, SC-77, SC75, SC-1523, SC-72, SC-1323, SC71 (US) – SC-LX87, SC-LX77, SCLX57, SC-2023 (Outside US) – SC-1223
We are using Spotify with multi room solution. If the device will no longer be supported, I need to figure out, if Spotify might be replaced to Apple Music or my reciever needs to be replaced...
please send more details..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi there,
Thanks for reaching out to us. Sorry to hear that you're having problems using Spotify on your speaker. No worries, we're here to clear things up.
As we look to improve the overall Spotify experience, we are removing the app from the Pioneer VSX-44 speaker.
With new wireless streaming opportunities, it’s now easier to simply connect Spotify to your different devices rather than having an app for each. We believe this change will provide you with much smoother listening sessions.  
Don’t worry, there are still plenty of ways to stream Spotify on your speaker! Check out our guide, or head here.
We're always here if you have any questions about the Spotify service though. Just let us know.
All the best,
Danica
Spotify Customer Support
Hi Danica,
sorry for my stupid question. I do not really understand, what will be switched off and what the reasons are.
My Pioneer AV receiver is on an I just use the Spotify App to connect it with my Pioneer AV receiver. Is that, what you are facing to switch off?
Please explain the reasons wor that, because I would like to know it, before I will buy a new device which support Spotify but will suddenly switched-off?
br Tim
Hey Tim,
Thanks for getting back to us.
That's odd. Just to check, can you still listen to Spotify with your speakers?
We'll wait for your reply.
Have a nice day,
John
Spotify Customer Support
Hi John,
I have just let it checked by my wife, she is at home, but she said it is working as usal.
So what are you doing or planning to do?
br Tim
Hey Tim,
Thanks for the checking on that.
We're planning to withdraw troubleshooting support. Your speakers should work with the current version without any issues but we're unsure about the future updates as it will be unsupported.
We hope that helps. Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.
Have a nice day,
John
Spotify Customer Support

Tugela15
Casual Listener

I have a pioneer receiver and have also received the email. 

Why is support for Pioneer being withdrawn? My receiver is only two years old and having Spotify connect was one of the major reasons behind buying it. 

Thanks. 

Hubo
Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Hey folks, welcome to the Spotify Community!

As Spotify looks to improve the overall Spotify experience, they are removing the app from Pioneer devices.

With new wireless streaming opportunities, it’s now easier to simply connect Spotify to your different devices rather than having an app for each. They believe this change will provide you with much smoother listening sessions.

Don’t worry, there are still plenty of ways to stream Spotify on your speaker! Check out their guide here or head to this link.

Let me know if you have more questions, I'm always here for you 🙂

SRK13

Hi, 

did Spotify develop this for Pioneer or could Pioneer provide a firmware update in order to fix this? I specifically bought this Pioneer in order to be able to seamlessly use Spotify with it, otherwise I would have bought a better receiver for the same money without this function. I am 100% sure that I am not the only one that did the same... It is also one of the reasons that I like about Spotify. The email that was sent doesn't provide the information why Spotify is making this, imho, ridiculous move?!? I think this might even lead to law suits. Please provide some more information on who we need to contact in order to make this go away, have it fixed or at least to get some kind of compensation for being forced to buy another device.

Kind regards,

Stefan

tjakobi
Regular

Hi all,

@HuboThanks for the mail, but it looks like it is an standard answer, which means you do not answer our specific questions!?

@SRK13I can not answer your question, because I do not udnerstand Spotify, what the want to change.

I am using an iOS App called: "iControlAV5" to control the receiver. There is a possibility to chose Spotify in the App and if you press the Spotifiy Button in the iControlAV5 app, it just opens the iOS "Spotify" App. So, I do not really understand, what @Hubo means with "they are removing the app from Pioneer devices".

In addition to that, I have contacted Pioneer in Germany to ask, if they will provide a new firmware for the receiver, if Spotify will change things. The answer was: "Unfortunately, Spotify has changed its "distribution channel" and stopped Spotify in favor of Spotify Connect. In the future, only devices with Spotify Connect (connected to a smartphone / tablet) can connect to the server."

- I do no really understand, what Spotify is going to change.

- What consequences the changes will have.

Another complete different issue is:

When Spotify is updating their "Spotify" iOS app and you want to read, what they have changed before your update the app, they do not write it in details. They only analogously write: "make the update, you will get new features and the app contains less bugs" That is not the way software programming and versioning works. The also could summarize the changes they have made.

best regards, Tim

sadib
Casual Listener

It is really unclear. What do you mean with 'app'? I don't have an app on my receiver. My receiver uses Spotify Connect to directly stream from Spotify. This works brilliantly and I love it and we use it daily. It's so easy to use a smartphone or laptop to select songs and let the receiver play the music through our premium speakers. Really hope this feature will not be disabled.

tjakobi
Regular

@sadibSorry for missunderstanding.

Same on my receiver. I open the Spotify app and when I play a song, I chose the "Spotify Connect" available devices. In my case the "Pioneer receiver". (I also have some Panasonic ALL-SH1C devices in other rooms/floors) Till now, all is working fine.

The Spotify support people uses the wording:
"As Spotify looks to improve the overall Spotify experience, they are removing the app from Pioneer devices."

What does that mean?

sadib
Casual Listener

@tjakobi Don't be sorry, I meant that the Spotify email was unclear and mentioned an app where there is none. 🙂

Related Issues