Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify link in Alexa app does not work

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Echo dot / iPad 

Operating System

iOS 12.2 on iPad. 

My Question or Issue

I can’t work out how to get Alexa linked to my Spotify. Guidance says Alexa app/ settings / music/ link new service, which leads to a Spotify button that doesn’t do anything. Manage Services has Amazon Music and Tune in added ok, but not Spotify.

I’ve seen a few variations over past years on here on how to make this happen, but can’t find one that works. UK premium service, UK address. Someone suggested using Alexa app and About to deregister echo dot, but I can’t see a deregister option there.

For a widely offered service, it surely can’t be this difficult to link the two up. I know I can play via Bluetooth but I wanted the extras this link up offers, including voice control and not tying the sound output on a device other than Alexa up. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

We've made some changes backstage which should now fix the original issue as reported by users!

You can now use the steps below to link your Spotify + Alexa accounts:

1. First, make sure that both Spotify and the Amazon Alexa apps are on the latest versions available
  2. It's also a good idea to perform a soft reset/reboot your devices
  3. Then, log in to your Spotify account on a browser, head here and revoke access to Alexa
  4. On the Amazon Alexa app on your mobile device:
    • Tap the three lines menu on the top left > Settings > Music & Podcasts
    • Find Spotify in the list and click Enable to Use 
    • In the authorization screen, double check that you're trying to log in with the correct Spotify account and click Agree

If you're having trouble with any of the above, make sure to create a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks again!

Comments
Jezhop

Spotify 8.5.7.999

Alexa 2.2.271281.0

Android 8.1.0

Moto G5

patgooch-ca
  • Spotify version: 8.5.7.601
  • Alexa app version: 2.2.274975
  • Device model: iPhone 8
  • OS version: 12.1.4
davesnothere

Same problem. Spotify forced password reset. Spotify link button in Alexa app not working. Reinstalled both apps to no effect.

Help please.

Spotify: 8.5.7.601

Alexa: 2.2.274975

iPhone 6

iOS 12.2

mdesilver
Same issue here due to a compromised password i was forced to reset Alexa App Version: 2.2.274975 Spotify App version: 8.5.7.601 Device Model: iPhone XS Max iOS version: 12.2
VIKING121

Has anyone solved this have deleted both apps on iPad and android phones and still not working?

Jezhop
No, re-installing apps doesn't work.

Spotify 8.5.7

Alexa 2.2.274975.0

IOS 12.2

iPad Mini 4

Also

Spotify 8.5.7.999

Alexa 2.2.271281.0

Android 9

Google Pixel 2

Similar to others, was forced to update my password this week and then was kicked out of Alexa connectivity. Then the button didn't work to link then up again, even after reinstalling both apps. Please help soon!

ausmharding

Same problem here. Updated password and now Spotify link button won't "push". Doesn't allow relinking. 

patgooch-ca

Here's what worked for me on ios

1. Go to https://alexa.amazon.co.uk. and login

2. When it redirects to the Alexa app, close and uninstall the app

3. Switch back to your browser and go back to the Alexa site

4. Re-link your Spotify account

5. Reinstall the Alexa app

alexbooth

Same issues here.

Spotify needed a password update.

Alexa no longer allows the Spotify button to be clicked.

Spotify: 8.5.7.999

Alexa: 2.2.271281.0

Huawei Honor 10, Android 9

HOWEVER

The above post about using the http://alexa.amazon.co.uk link worked perfectly. I unlinked, re-linked. I went back on the Alexa app on the phone and it saw Spotify, Spotify also instantly located the Echo device and groups.