Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify mutes all sound after pressing pause.

Plan

Free

Country

Canada

Device

MSI GP72

Operating System

Windows 10 

My Question or Issue

Spotify (only the desktop app, web app works fine) keeps muting everything that makes sound after I pause my music. Background sound plays fine when I play music over it, but when I pause Spotify the background sound completely stops. Doesn't matter if it's a Youtube video, a game, or whatever, it just stops everything and everything is muted until I close down Spotify. This is most likely an issue with Bluetooth, as I use Bluetooth headphones and when I plug my headphones in with an aux cord the issue goes away. 

I've tried re-installing the desktop app and restarting my computer, as well as updating the drivers for my laptop's Bluetooth card, but none of these seemed to do anything.

This is really getting on my nerves.

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate all your reports so far!

We've passed them on to our tech team, and they're investigating this.

We don't have an exact timeline for a fix, however we'd recommend making sure that the app is always updated on your device. You can follow the steps provided here.

Thanks!

Comments
goldfinger89

Hey I am basically reopening the thread from June 2018 Spotify mutes all sound after pressing pause. this thread describes the same issue users were experiencing. 

I had this issue in the past but I managed to fix it without getting here. So I have the same problem now and solution provided by @johbuldmann does not work. Spotify still mutes all sounds.

I think the recent upgrade could be causing this. Please help, this is really annoying.

Plan

Premium, App version 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7

Country

Poland

Device

Lenovo G580

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Peter

Hey @goldfinger89.

Thanks for reaching out on the Community! We'll be glad to help you out 🙂

I know this sounds obvious, but would you mind performing a clean reinstall by following the steps outlined here? This can solve many common problems that our users experience.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be right here in case you need some more help 🙂

goldfinger89

Hi @peter

I did re-installed the app but the problem persists. I understand this will be a low priority issue for the development to fix but please don't leave it as "won't fix".

Currently I have to quit Spotify in order to not have any issue with the pause button. And it is annoying.

Thanks,

goldfinger89

goldfinger89

Hi,

I wanted to follow up on this.

This is ONLY happening when connected to Bluetooth speaker. I have just bought Macbook and I can confirm that this is affecting macOS and Windows ONLY when connected to bluetooth speaker.

So my guessing is that there is some failure with Bluetooth setting and media keys in Spotify. @Peter please confirm that you are aware of this.

Szczepan

Peter

Hey @goldfinger89.

Thanks for getting back to us with that update and for your patience on the matter.

Could you try connecting your devices to another Bluetooth speaker or set of headphones to see if the issue persists?

We'll be right here in case you need further help 🙂

goldfinger89

Hi @Peter

It turned that it is only affecting JBL Xtreme bluetooth speaker. I tried to replicate this on bluetooth earphones and worked ok.

Interesting thing is that it worked allright around 2 weeks ago. I did not upgrade the JBL's firmware. It just came up with new version of Spotify and it's only affecting Spotify - no other app. I strongly believe this is related to media keys and Spotify.

Not sure how to resolve this. I doubt that it's JBL's fault as it works with all the other apps fine and other devices as well. 

Thanks

Peter

Hey @goldfinger89.

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Can you make sure that you are on the latest version of Spotify on both your PC and Mac (it should be 1.0.94) and see if the issue persists?

We'll be right here in case you need any further help 🙂

goldfinger89

Hi @Peter

Yes I can confirm that I upgraded Spotify to latest version (1.0.94.262) both on Mac and Windows. The issue persists - pausing Spotify mutes all the sound on system environment.

Thanks

Thanks, I am having the same issue with my Bluetooth headphones and the wotk around here didn't work for me.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Spotify-mutes-all-sound-after-pressing-pause/td-p/4...

I am on the latest version of Spotify

Thanks, I am having the same issue with my Bluetooth headphones and the wotk around here didn't work for me.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Spotify-mutes-all-sound-after-pressing-pause/td-p/4...

I am on the latest version of Spotify