Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify mutes all sound after pressing pause.

Plan

Free

Country

Canada

Device

MSI GP72

Operating System

Windows 10 

My Question or Issue

Spotify (only the desktop app, web app works fine) keeps muting everything that makes sound after I pause my music. Background sound plays fine when I play music over it, but when I pause Spotify the background sound completely stops. Doesn't matter if it's a Youtube video, a game, or whatever, it just stops everything and everything is muted until I close down Spotify. This is most likely an issue with Bluetooth, as I use Bluetooth headphones and when I plug my headphones in with an aux cord the issue goes away. 

I've tried re-installing the desktop app and restarting my computer, as well as updating the drivers for my laptop's Bluetooth card, but none of these seemed to do anything.

This is really getting on my nerves.

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate all your reports so far!

We've passed them on to our tech team, and they're investigating this.

We don't have an exact timeline for a fix, however we'd recommend making sure that the app is always updated on your device. You can follow the steps provided here.

Thanks!

Comments

I just tried pausing with the button on my headphone and it also mutes everything else.

Tried downloading the Spotify app again, didn't work.

MacOS: 10.14.2

Spotify: 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b

Headphones: JBL Everest 750NC 

Just wanted to share my experience: I tried with Deezer player, and it happens too.

Seems like it's not a problem with Spotify then. 

sabakva

**bleep**! Fixed. I love you!

sgtperm

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue: pause music on Spotify, mutes audio from any other source.

Software and Device Info:

• Spotify version 1.0.96.181
  • Using Macbook Air - High Sierra 10.13.6
  • Connected to echo dot (3rd gen) via Bluetooth

Some have the solutions have suggested altering Bluetooth settings that don't seem to be available on Mac and Spotify settings that are either outdated or not present on Mac. This is clearly a widespread ongoing issue and is resulting in  a really poor user experience. Spotify is not the only source of audio on my laptop, I should be able to switch seamlessly. 

Spotify, please don't ignore this as an edge case or not important as its only affecting Bluetooth connected speakers.

Hopefully, there will be a fix soon.

Many thanks.

Peter

Hey @sgtperm.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

Would you mind making sure that this is an issue which is unique to Spotify by trying this out with another media player/music-streaming app?

Once we have that information, we'll think of what next to suggest.

Thanks! We'll be looking out for your reply.

goldfinger89

Hey @Peter

This issue is unique only to Spotify on my end as well. I have started this thread and I still wasn't able to fix this. Disabling AVRCP drivers might be easy in Windows but not on mac.

This is definitely not a Bluetooth failure on Mac but Spotify's error as pause button takes control over all media on the PC. For instance, if I click on 'Pause' it mutes everything, and when I quit Spotify everything is still muted. So I have to reopen the app to have a sound available.

Guys, maybe it's a time to raise this to development. You see that there are multiple users facing this issue and you are still not able to provide us with working solution. 

Peter
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this to us.

Several of you have said that this is happening to you when using Bluetooth via the desktop app for Mac.

If this is the case, could you click +VOTE to let us know you are experiencing this issue?

Also, if you haven't done so already, could you leave the following info as a comment in the thread:

- Device and OS version

- Spotify version

- Bluetooth device?

We will pass this onto our tech team, who will be looking into this.

Thanks! We'll let you know as soon as we have any updates.

Peter

Hey @sgtperm and @goldfinger89,

Could we ask you to provide us with a video which clearly illustrates the issue you're experiencing?

We will pass this info on to our tech team so that they can keep looking into it.

Thanks 🙂

StruC

@Peter Like I said, it has nothing to do with the media keys themselves. It's rather the act of pausing Spotify regardless of whether you click the pause button or press a media key.

I recorded the issue with a YouTube video playing in the background. I turned the volume up so you could hear the headphones. Whenever I pause Spotify with (any) bluetooth headphones attached, pausing Spotify mutes the whole system audio. Resuming Spotify puts it back on.

Peter

Hey @StruC,

Thanks for clarifying that 🙂

We aren't able to see the video you attached. Could you try sending it again?

Thanks!