Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify mutes randomly

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

HP Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

At random times, my desktop Spotify client mutes itself. This is not a machine problem, the volume slider on Spotify literally slides itself down to mute at random times. Anyone know what causes this?

Hey folks,

Based on your reports, this now seems to be fixed!

If you're still experiencing this issue, make sure to create a new thread in the relevant help board here and we'll help you out there.

Thanks for your cooperation on this!

Comments
MeesterP

My problem is still there. Checked my mobile when it happened, and it showed the spotify interface playing a song on the PC. It started on it's own, because I had closed all running programs. I guess I have to uninstall spotify from my phone, but that is not why I have premium subscription 😞

PacoMontoya

Computers: macOS High Sierra (v10.13.6) also on Windows10 (This is what I'll be actually listening to Spotify on.)

Device: Pixel 3 (Spotify will be on randomly. I can see it on my lock screen but I don't open it.) 

Spotify App: Version 8.5.31.676

The volume on my computer will randomly adjust to whatever my media volume is set at on my phone. But to echo others, I usually have my volume on my computer(s) at Max on Spotify and adjust using the volume of my system. 

MattEnTheHat

First, could you confirm that you're also experiencing a similar issue whereby the Spotify app volume suddenly spikes to close to max volume?

Not sure about this, as I generally keep Spotify on max volume anyways.

If. however, you're only experiencing the issue as described in the title, then could you provide us with the following info:

• device + OS version
    • Dell Latitude E7470 on Windows 10 1809, although I just updated to that version, and it was happening on whatever the previous version of Windows 10 was as well (not sure what version that was)
  • exact Spotify version
    • 1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9, although I believe it has updated a couple times since I first encountered the problem
  • Does this happen when using Connect with an external device?
    • Not that I have experienced, although I use Connect relatively infrequently
NickEd

Random muting started happening a couple of days ago

• device + OS version
    • Lenovo desktop PC + Win 10 Pro ver 10.0.18362 build 18362
  • exact Spotify version
    • 1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9
    • Happens if playing using the Spotify desktop app. Only done this playing through my Sonos speakers. However, if I play through the Sonos app using Spotify as a service seems fine.
Bardi

@Peter

Volume never spiked up, always mute or lower the volume.

i just started spotify on my pc, listening to some audiobook. spotify on my mobile activated on its own after couple of minutes, muted the volume. when i turned the volume up on the phone again it lasted for a couple of minutes and it went mute again.

device + OS version

desktop PC, Win 10 Home Version 1903 build 18362.418

exact Spotify version

1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9

Does this happen when using Connect with an external device?

like i said, only happens when iam using spotify on my PC and spotify on my mobile starts and adjusts the volume itself.

phone: moto g, Android 5.1 - spotify app version: 8.5.30.579 

ToastedTom

@Peter

This is also happening for me.

Spotify desktop is randomly muting (because my phone volume is on mute). As soon as I turn my phone off this stops happening.

• device + OS version
    • My PC is on Windows 10 1903 OS Build 18362.418
      My Phone is a Galaxy s8 and running Android 9.0
  • exact Spotify version
    • 1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9
    • It happens whether I am using connect or not

This all started around Monday.

Andre01001110
  • First, could you confirm that you're also experiencing a similar issue whereby the Spotify app volume suddenly spikes to close to max volume?
    • No I am experiencing the same issue that everyone else here is experiencing. The volume will suddenly jump to zero (or practically zero) for no reason.
  • device + OS version
    • Dell XPS 15 9570 on Windows 10 Build 18362
  • exact Spotify version
    • 1.1.19.480.g7d17e3ce. It has happened on the previous update.
    • No, I only use Spotify on my PC
matthew8807

I too am having this issue, but only on Windows 10. 

Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.418)

No issues on my mobile (Samsung Galaxy S10 running Android Pie)

tobiasth

I have the same problem, tried with 2 different pc's!

Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362)

Spotify 1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9

No issues on my mobile

FuzzRaven

Is there actually anyone at Spotify trying to fix this? I've been using Spotify at work in the hospital (12 hr shift) and am quite annoyed that this has been happening to me for the last few weeks ever since the latest update. The bug keeps on muting my volume over 50 times throughout the night. It's just unacceptable. It's the latest update that created this problem as I have never encountered this before this **bleep** update. I even thought someone at work was trying to mess up / remotely controlling my Spotify and muting it. Nope. Even tried to see if there's anything my new phone is causing (Note 10+). Nope. I have Alexa-controlled devices at home and am using Spotify connect at home but don't listen as long as I do at work so I don't necessarily notice it that much if the bug affects my home devices. PLEASE FIX THIS.

Windows 10

Spotify version 1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9