Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify mutes randomly

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

HP Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

At random times, my desktop Spotify client mutes itself. This is not a machine problem, the volume slider on Spotify literally slides itself down to mute at random times. Anyone know what causes this?

Hey folks,

Based on your reports, this now seems to be fixed!

If you're still experiencing this issue, make sure to create a new thread in the relevant help board here and we'll help you out there.

Thanks for your cooperation on this!

Comments
DonalW

OK, in my case.

1.  It is only a jump to mute, never a spike in volume

2. Windows 10 Pro, Version 19.03

3.  Spotify version 1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9

4.   I have a Galaxy S9 connected and connecting/disconnecting from this PC makes no difference. 

MeesterP

Peter,

Thanks for stepping up.

I do not have an issue with spiking because I always have the slider at max, and regulate the volume with my soundcards controls.

My version of spotify is: 1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9 (Microsoft Store version)

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

I am not using Connect actively I think, at least I never start up anything. But I do have spotify installed on other devices. For example: on the nVidia Shield, on the Samsung S9 mobile phone, on the Samsung Television.

The last 2  or so days, I have had no mutes. I was advised to change my password (by a spotify support chat )

Maybe it solved the issue, but I'm not convinced yet.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Regards,

Paul

Wufje

@Peter 

My answers:

Spike to max? No, does not happen.

Devices involved:

• Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S8 + Android version 9
    PC: AsusPRO - Windows 10 Pro

Spotify version: 1.1.19.480.g7d17e3ce (after reïnstall yesterday)

Does this happen when using Connect with an external device? Yes. Included mobile + OS above.

Issue seem to have been resolved by setting the Sound settings - Sound Control Panel - Communications tab ->  When Windows detects communications activity set to "Do nothing". Previously on "Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%."

Currently 24 hours without the issue presenting itself.

Good luck with solving the issue!

Busemaen

Macbook PRO, 10.14.6

1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9

Yes

My other device is standing right beside me, and the issue is quite inconsistent.

Can happen 3 times in one song, or once a day.

The volume spikes to mute instantly. 

ChristianVM

My client is doing the same. 

• device + OS version: Thinkpad Yoga laptop. 
  • exact Spotify version: 1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9 (Microsoft Store version)
  • Does this happen when using Connect with an external device?: I am listening via headphones directly connected with minijack to the laptop. 
Kejoz

I Was experiencing volume spikes as i usually tone down Spotify app. 

• Win 10 Home
  • 1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9 (Microsoft Store)
  • Yes, but Spotify launched itself on my phone and synced with my PC

The issue is very inconsistent, yesterday nothing happend. 

FelipeBarbosa

I took the time and testes this issue, these are the observations I did:

A) When Spotify is not running on the background of my mobile, no issues with the volume on the PC happens.

B) As soon as Spotify is working on the background of my mobile, the issues starts.

B.1) Spotify running on the background of the mobile:
spotify_background.jpg

* Note that it says "Listening on DESKTO..." and this is my WIN10 PC.

B.2) The DEVICE is also active (I think so) on the desktop app:

Anotação 2019-11-08 161332.png

B.3) Now, my mobile device is an Android, and I can set the several volumes separately

B.4) If I set the "Media" Volume to MUTE, then before some minutes or even seconds the Desktop App will mute as well

B.5) If I set the "Media" Volume to the max, then before some minutes/seconds the Desktop App will spike to the max volume as well.

So for me both issues happen and it seems like the root cause is the same, the Mobile App is controlling the output volume of the devices listening to Spotify.

These are the devices info requested:

PC - Windows 10 Home Version 1903

Mobile - Samsung Galaxy S8+

Android - 9 ( Kernel 4.4.111-16626841 )

Spotify Android Version - 8.5.30.579

Spotify PC Version - 1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9 (Microsoft Store version)

Please let me know if I can add anything else @Peter 

Best regards,

Felipe

DonalW

I think I found something that's been working for the last hour now.  On my phone the media setting is set to 0.  I moved that to halfway and lo and behold about 5 minutes after I connected my phone to my PC the Spotify volume went to halfway.  This has never happened, it's always simply gone to mute.  This is consistent with my phone setting.  So what I am guessing now is that the phone/Spotify takes a few minutes to sync and for some reason the phone overrides the PC version. 

Now for the last 25 minutes I have set the media volume on my phone in the middle and the volume has stayed consistent on the PC.

This started happening to me yesterday. Right now Spotify is useless.  Hopefully they resolve this bug problem quickly.

KmvaMaeru

I have the same problen on windows 10, the day of this comment port is the first this ever happens to me