Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on Android TV lags to death after a while

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Sony Bravia XF9005 55"

Operating System

Android TV

My Question or Issue

After playing a couple of songs Spotify starts lagging, the songs cut in and out and the TV starts getting slower too. Can't turn the TV off, can't go left or right in the Spotify app without a 30 second delay until something happens. This wasn't always the case, it has worked flawlessly before. Guessing some update ruined it. I can chromecast it to the TV just fine, but the app breaks itself and the TV.

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version. In the meantime, you can also use Connect as a workaround.

Thanks again!

Comments
handels

I have the same problem. However, when I go to the Sony home screen while playing music through the Spotify app, it doesn’t start lagging after a few tracks.

I’d still like to keep the Spotify app on the screen so I could look at album arts 🙂

I have Sony KD-65XF9005 and Spotify premium.

demonspeed

I was looking for a solution to this problem and see that more people experience this. Really annoying since it used to work perfect. Probably due to one of the later Spotify updates since Android TV hasn't had an update for over a year. 

Asked them on Twitter when they are going to fix this and forwarded this issue

hcim90

I also have this issue with Spotify on my Sony TV - works fine for about an hour, then the songs start lagging and then the TV becomes almost totally unresponsive. Before this happened I was also having problems with spotify connect playing through the TV via my phone, but now it glitches when I'm just using the TV and not going through my phone or Spotify Connect. real annoying. 

PapaJS

Guess we'll just have to hope that Spotify fixes this. Seems there's lots of people experiencing these bugs.. Would be great if they actually shed any light on the issue, but can't find any official statements.

Paulipro

Plan: Premium

Device: Sony Bravia 4K - XBR-55X855C

Spotify ver.: 1.18.0

Problem

After one hour or more listening normally, the app starts to cut out musics, get very lagged until freezes totally and need force back to home screen to close app. This issue started since 1 or 2 months ago, before that, everything was fine. Tried to clear cache, stop running, reinstall and the issue remains.

nsprljan

I'm having the same with my Bravia. Usually starts happening after an hour or so of working fine. After it starts stuttering the TV is barely repsonsive, you could even say that it freezes, so there's something seriously wrong and only a full restart helps. If anyone finds some official response or some kind of a tracker for this issue, please post it here!

Paulipro

Hi, since I didn't receive any response here in the community, I decided to email Spotify support and the response I got was frustrating. Although I give everything in detail, they asked me questions like: TV is on, you have a network connection and etc.
Ridiculous. Even after switching the network connection from wireless to wired, the problem persists. All apps work perfectly on TV, only Spotify has this problem. If this continues, I will be forced to migrate to Tidal.

PapaJS

Spotify themselves doesn't seem to care about this or they managed to dodge this issue completely somehow.

I've tried all kinds of troubleshooting and the Spotify-app is most definetely the problem. Nothing we can do if Spotify doesn't adress this and fix it. 

Paulipro

True, I agree. I think Spotify is feeling very comfortable, it shouldn't.
Tidal is there, Apple music is there, Google music is there, Youtube music is there, and so many other services that offer a great product and have no problems.
It would be nice if they take more care of users, or they will end up losing them.

dandid

Same problem here, lagging after 30min - 1hr of use, and eventually tv is completely frozen and needs unplugging to clear problem. If I am able to close the spotify app from the "holding the home button" menu before it freezes completely, the tv becomes normal again. (Sony KD 65XF9005). Very frustrating.