Spotify skill for Alexa seems to be broken

Plan

Premium Duo

Country

USA

Device

Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen)

My Question or Issue

When I tell Alexa "Play X", it often responds with "Playing X from Spotify", but then nothing happens. This started happening last week after I bought two new Echo Dots. I previously had 3 Echo Dots and 2 Echo Show 5s and have been using Spotify with them for years with no real issues. I've tried re-enabling the Spotify skill and resetting the Echos, both of which seem to fix the issue for a short period of time, but then it starts happening again. I'm wondering if the Spotify skill has a programmed limit of 5 devices maximum connected to a single Spotify account, and when it detects more than that, playing will only work on 5 random devices and not on additional devices.

Do Spotify employees read these posts? If I can't get this resolved soon I'm going to have to switch to Apple Music or Amazon Music.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Always great to double-check you're on the latest version of the app.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant place here.

Thanks!

Comments

This happens to me, as well. Once in a while the Echo Dot will just stop showing up on my list of devices on Spotify (both on my laptop and on my phone), and when I ask her to play or resume Spotify she says she's going to, but nothing happens. But she'll play a specific thing if I ask (artist, album, Daily Mix). Other times she DOES show up on devices, but I get that "Connecting..." thing that never connects.

The fix, like someone mentioned above, seems to be unplugging Alexa for a minute and then plugging her back in. But it's only a temporary fix for me... I haven't figured out what triggers her error, but I THINK it's something about when I try to change the song on my phone app later on, and the app tries to reload and get up to date. Then it'll kick the sound to my phone. Not positive, though, still observing. 

Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate your reports on this!

As @EthanS1 mentioned, the right teams are looking into this backstage.

We'll keep you posted here for any updates we have to pass on about this so make sure to keep an eye out in this thread.

Regular

Still having major spotify with Echo issues. The reviews on the skill in the Amazon Alexa console have more details, but it has been broken for months now. I cannot get it working or connected anymore. I think Amazon broke it so that users are forced to use Amazon Music instead.

Casual Listener

@sephethus I still think it’s a Spotify issue, not an Amazon issue. I cancelled my Spotify account and switched to Apple Music and everything has worked perfect with my Echos ever since. 

Casual Listener

I had minor problems earlier this morning with playing Spotify on my Amazon Echos. I have 4 of them.

I asked to play Sportify as the Echos seem to stop playing in the middle of a song. Then after a few seconds Alexa said im having problem getting Spotify just now please try later.

I rebooted my router and a few mis after the reboot all seems to be working fine again.

Status changed to: Fixed

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Always great to double-check you're on the latest version of the app.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant place here.

Thanks!

Visitor

Yeahhhhhhh no.  This is NOT "fixed".  Jeff Bezos (bozos) was once notoriously quoted as saying he wanted to murder spotify. I am personally wondering if this was entirely his doing.  I have had silence for weeks, possibly months now despite the stupid "alexa" stating now playing from spotify.  Works absolutely fine on my google devices.

Definitely not fixed. Same thing happening to me today with lastest spotify version and three echo devices. Intermitently disappearing from the list of devices in spotify app, and Alexa responding with “now playing spotify” to meet silence afterwards... 

Visitor

It is still not fixed, it happens often and it only changes the songs if you say next song, it is like it gets stucked on a playlist and doesn't really does what you ask. I migh be changing to amazon music.