Spotify trouble controlling Chromecast

I have spotify premium and  now I'm unable to control playback while playing on my Chromecast. It was working perfectly until very recently.
I can find and connect to the Chromecast without issue and it will load the correct playlist but at that point, I can no longer pause, skip, adjust volume, add to queue etc. through the spotify app/notification bar controller. I can stop and start the track using the Google Home notification controller but this doesn't support track skipping. If I press pause on the spotify controller, it will appear as though it has paused yet the playback will continue on Chromecast. If I then press play, the music starts playing on my phone as well as the Chromecast (but not in sync).
I can then skip tracks or play/pause the playback on my phone but have no control over the Chromecast.
I've tested other apps like youtube and netflix on Chromecast and they're working fine. For good measure, I've restarted and even factory reset the Chromecast to no avail. 

this is a problem on both an iPad updated to ios11.0.3 and iPhone still on iOS 10.  Both devices used to work perfectly. I have rebooted router. Everything on same WiFi network and can see each other. Chromecast audios are on version 1.27.96538. 

Thanks for your help. 

Hey @Fargoboy! Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Awesome to hear you've got things working again on your end! 🙂 Let me know if anything else pops up.

Have a great day!

Huib

0 Likes
Comments
Fargoboy
Casual Listener

I just realized that my google home device was unplugged. Not sure why, but when I plugged it in all of my Chromecast devices started to work properly individually as well as in the groups I’ve made. Spotify now can control everything as before. I hadn’t tried ungrouping devices before to see if that made a difference. Oh well. 

Hubo
Spotify Star
Spotify Star
Status changed to: Closed

Hey @Fargoboy! Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Awesome to hear you've got things working again on your end! 🙂 Let me know if anything else pops up.

Have a great day!

Huib

stonekirby
Regular

How did you get it working again? I have the SAME problem.

Please don't keep solutions hidden, thanks 🙂

Sorry the comments failed to load. See the solution now, but it still fails over here.

AndyJoel
Spotify Legend

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We'd like to gather some more info. In this case, could you all let us know what device, operating system and Spotify version you're currently using? Also, we'd like to know the firmware version and model of your Chromcast.

Keep us posted.

Fargoboy
Casual Listener

Well, I thought it was fixed, but then the problem came back. I seem to be able to fix if I unplug my google home and keep it off the network. My other chrome cast devices then work fine with Spotify. My google home is 1 year old. Initially it worked without trouble with Spotify, but starting late summer this problem popped up. Maybe a version/firmware issue?

now I’ve plugged back in and Spotify works perfectly. We’ll see if the problem reoccurs. 

AndyJoel
Spotify Legend

Thanks for staying in touch @Fargoboy

Just to check - have you made sure your Chromecast is running the latest version? We'd suggest doing it and updating the device firmware to the latest one available. 

Give it a try and let us know if that helps. 

tiger1000

I have the same issue.  Can't use the app to remote control music casted to chromecast device.

Related Issues