Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Spotify won't resume after pause with bluetooth headphones

I'm unable to resume after i pause the music for a few minutes with my headphones over bluetooth.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app and all devices fully up-to-date.

Thanks!

Comments
pcq_-ln13my

I have the exact same issue, this are my specs:

Headphones: SONY WH-1000XM3

Macbook Pro 13" 2019 MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 (Can't update due to company policy)

Spotify version: 1.1.34.694.gac68a2b3

carefulweb

This is so embarrassing,

Spotify is a public company with only one main utility – let people access music. Imagine if your electric utility would let you access electricity as Spotify let you access the music!

For years I'm paying for the family subscription and this issue alone will be more than enough to go thru playlist migration to one of the Spotify competitors.

For the last two year I was looking forward to every single Spotify app update waiting for the fix to get disappointed over and over again. Spotify collects tons of app analytics data to understand the scale of the problem and take an action. It seems to me like a huge Product Management fail. It's 21st century – wireless is the standard way to consume the audio, there is no excuse for having such obvious problems unfixed for such a long time.

In two years (or even longer according to some other bug reports) it would be possible to rewrite the whole app from scratch and here we are only getting minor incremental improvements.

End of rant.

PS: thanks to some of the posters here for the tip on reconnecting bluetooth device, I restarted Spotify itself every time, losing my current search or other interesting findings. Reconnecting bluetooth is less painful.

PS2: going to "test-drive" Apple Music and Tidal in a next few weeks and likely cancel my Spotify.

mnemonicj

Same issue and no fix after 2.5 years.

sophyyyy

I keep experiencing this. It is quite annoying. The issue has been reported since 2017 and haven't been solved. How ridiculous it is. 

I am considering no longer using Spotify if this can't be solved. Goodbye.

jacklloyddavies

Everyone should use this link to raise the issue with Spotify - https://support.spotify.com/uk/contact-spotify-support/

Keep clicking 'I still need help' to get through to email support.

Alex373

+1 to this issue.

MacOS 10.14.4

Beats Studio3 bluetooth headphones

Spotify desktop app version 1.1.34.694.gac68a2b3

Premium plan

I pause Spotify to jump on video calls or to walk away from computer for a bit.  When I click "Play" again there is no audio, after a few seconds Spotify app displays "Can't play the current song."  Cannot play any songs until I restart Spotify.  Audio from other apps continues to work without problems.

TiMESPLiNTER

First of all I don't want to do a hate comment here. But honestly, Spotify - your core business is a seamless music experience and therefor it's really poor that you don't keep us posted with updates and what you try to do to fix this bug, especially as it still exists for years already. Because this is really a major issue for a seamless music experience imho.

Back to topic: of course I have the same issue.

Spotify app: 1.1.34.694.gac68a2b3

Headphones: MOMENTUM M2 (Bluetooth)

I experience this issue very often if I do a video call and want to resume listening on the Spotify app or if my mac goes to sleep and I wake it up again after a few minutes.

I also experienced it the other way around. Sometimes I don't have sound in my Slack video calls until I terminate the Spotify app.

I guess it maybe has something to do between different Electron apps? I guess they somehow mess up audio output. If multiple Electron apps are running at the same time and want to play audio.

BasementGamer

Having the same issue as many people.

Spotify app: 1.1.34.694.gac68a2b3

Headphones: Soundpeats Truengine SE

One thing I've noticed is that I can pause/play songs normally during the day, but if my headphones disconnect for any reason (they go to sleep after long pauses in sound, I walk beyond the range of the bluetooth connection, I switch the connection of the headphones to my phone and then back to the MB, the MB goes to sleep, etc), then when I try to play a song again I get the error.

It might be that the app holds a reference to the connection that's no longer there, instead of asking the OS to get a fresh reference to the connection on song resume.

bmcd243

Connected to JBL Charge 4 on macOS Catalina. Also, an issue when the speaker is connected to my phone, the song just won't play after leaving it on pause for a while.

Turning hardware acceleration off does nothing, shame that this issue still hasn't been fixed after such a long time 😞

JoeHirth

Any update on this? Finding it really frustrating 😞