Storage switched back to internal at every reboot [Samsung Galaxy S7/S8, encrypted SD]

Samsung Galaxy S7, Android 7, patch level 12.2017 (stock)
Spotify version 8.4.35.152 armV7
64GB Kingston MicroSD UHS-3
SD card encrypted, using stock encryption

Hey!

As reported several times and always closed without solution:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Android-encrypted-SD-Card-Offline-Music-lost-on-Rebo...
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-S7-Edge-w-SD-Card-Offline-Tracks-D...

Spotify changes external storage to internal storage at each reboot, deleting all songs and having to redownload everything. The reason is that Samsung phones need about 30 seconds after boot to mount encrypted MicroSD card. The Spotify BACKGROUND service starts before (automatically, without user interaction) and so does not find the MicroSD card. It then switches to internal storage without user interaction and de-syncronize each playlists.

SOLUTION:

A simple workaround would be for the service to wait 60 seconds or until the app is launched after boot time before checking the storage state.

The issue is apparently present since at least 2016 on all Samsung phones including the S8/S8+ and Note 8. Without resolution, I am thinking about switching to a concurrent service.

Thanks to have a look at it seriousely.

Forum posts about the issue:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/spotifyandroid/thread-id/59790/...
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Encrypted-sd-card-causes-Spotify-to-lose-offline-music/td-p...
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-S7-Edge-w-SD-Card-Offline-Tracks-D...

Hey folks! Thanks for your reports!

I understand your frustration. Great to hear things are working again after the solution @charno posted. Rest assured, the right folks are still looking into this. If you need any help in the meanwhile, feel free to give me a shout! :)

Have an awesome day!

Comments
RaphAtienza

I have a workaround that works!

1. Turn on developer options in Android Settings. (Search Google sorry I forget how)

2. In Developer Options in Android Settings Turn on "Force allow apps on external" (This the 2nd to the Last setting in developer options)

3. Then move the Spotify app to the External Storage.

This will make the Spotify app only available when the External Storage has been decrypted. I don't lose the Downloaded Spotify songs after a reboot on my Encrypted MicroSD on my Galaxy Note 8 on Oreo 8.0

I haven't tried rebooting with the Spotify app open upon reboot but assume this workaround will work.

I STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHY THIS HAS NOT BEEN PROPERLY FIXED BY SPOTIFY!

- Raph A

paul_klee

I'm still having the same issue on my Samsung S7. Even if I move the app to external storage (which makes it very slow) at some point the SD card is not shown anymore in Spotify and all downloaded music is gone. Will this finally be addressed ? Will the upgrade to Android 8 change anything? It's really frustrating that this issue can't be solved permanently.

RaphAtienza

@paul_klee

-I'm still having the same issue on my Samsung S7. Even if I move the app to external storage (which makes it very slow) at some point the SD card is not shown anymore in Spotify and all downloaded music is gone.-

What is the speed of the MicroSD Card? I use a Sandisk Ultra 128GB. I think this also matters?

-Will this finally be addressed ?-

Based on how long this has not been addressed possibly never.

-Will the upgrade to Android 8 change anything?-

Maybe. But I think the MicroSD card speed is more important for this issue.

-It's really frustrating that this issue can't be solved permanently.-

I agree. 

paul_klee

@RaphAtienza

- What is the speed of the MicroSD Card? I use a Sandisk Ultra 128GB. I think this also matters?

You are probably right. Unfortunately I bought the MicroSD card that long ago that i can't remember (don't wanna take it out of the phone now). But i used it in my old Samsung Galaxy S4 mini (rooted) and didn't have any problems then, so I think the card is capable of the job.

I will try now one last thing which is the work around you proposed and then never update the App again. That is probably when this "fall back" from external SD to internal storage happens. Still it is stupied that we have to go through all of this hussle.

dunkenbutterfly

@RaphAtienza  your workaround has solved my problem! thanks a lot. I have a Samsung A5 2017. 

Luke1968

I'm having this issue. Sd stored stuff keeps being put back to internal phone memory and crashing phone.

Am struggling/ frustrated. Is this the only way of getting any tech support from spotify? 

paul_klee

update: After buying a newer SD card (Samsung Evo plus Micro SD 64GB) I never had the issue again. this is ofc not the best solution but i just got too fed up with the problem

krizsi77

I have a Huawei P9 Lite Mini. If i reboot my phone, the storage switch back to internal and begin download the songs. My internal capacity is very small, because of this the phone will stop to operate. By this phone you can't install the app on the external SD card. So the "solution" don't working for me. Any other Ideas?

Thank's Krizsi!

sebishmaster
Casual Listener

This issue still persists on Samsung Galaxy S9 (+).

The workaround by RaphAtienza  does work. Also for Samsung Galaxy S9 (+) and Android 9 / Pie. Love you man!

dunkenbutterfly
Hi, a workaround is ti manually stop the Spotify process before reboot the phone. For me workshop great but you must remenber this procedure. I think Spotify customer care is really low quality.