Storage switched back to internal at every reboot [Samsung Galaxy S7/S8, encrypted SD]

Samsung Galaxy S7, Android 7, patch level 12.2017 (stock)
Spotify version 8.4.35.152 armV7
64GB Kingston MicroSD UHS-3
SD card encrypted, using stock encryption

Hey!

As reported several times and always closed without solution:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Android-encrypted-SD-Card-Offline-Music-lost-on-Rebo...
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-S7-Edge-w-SD-Card-Offline-Tracks-D...

Spotify changes external storage to internal storage at each reboot, deleting all songs and having to redownload everything. The reason is that Samsung phones need about 30 seconds after boot to mount encrypted MicroSD card. The Spotify BACKGROUND service starts before (automatically, without user interaction) and so does not find the MicroSD card. It then switches to internal storage without user interaction and de-syncronize each playlists.

SOLUTION:

A simple workaround would be for the service to wait 60 seconds or until the app is launched after boot time before checking the storage state.

The issue is apparently present since at least 2016 on all Samsung phones including the S8/S8+ and Note 8. Without resolution, I am thinking about switching to a concurrent service.

Thanks to have a look at it seriousely.

Forum posts about the issue:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/spotifyandroid/thread-id/59790/...
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Encrypted-sd-card-causes-Spotify-to-lose-offline-music/td-p...
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-S7-Edge-w-SD-Card-Offline-Tracks-D...

Hey folks! Thanks for your reports!

I understand your frustration. Great to hear things are working again after the solution @charno posted. Rest assured, the right folks are still looking into this. If you need any help in the meanwhile, feel free to give me a shout! :)

Have an awesome day!

Comments
RaphAtienza

@krizsi77 wrote:

I have a Huawei P9 Lite Mini. If i reboot my phone, the storage switch back to internal and begin download the songs. My internal capacity is very small, because of this the phone will stop to operate. By this phone you can't install the app on the external SD card. So the "solution" don't working for me. Any other Ideas?

Thank's Krizsi!

Try switching the default storage on the Huawei to SD card? Hope that helps. Oh and have the Huawei battery saver to always close Spotify when the screen locks.

20190123_154857.jpg

20190123_154926.jpg

Sillikk

@Huib wrote:

Hey @pernsdorff!

I understand your frustration. All information on the issue has been passed on to the right teams at Spotify and they're looking into this. Meanwhile, I recommend following @charno's solution, as that helped for some users. Let me know if there's anything else.

Take care! :)

Hello,

I really don't understand why this issue has been closed, just because there is a "hacky" workaround.  This probably happens to thousands of people who won't find this so-called solution, and it is becoming an even bigger issue as SD cards are getting bigger, and download limit has been (finally !!) raised to 10000 songs.

I understand it is a good news that there is a workaround, but the issue is certainly not solved!!! It shouldn't happen in the first place!

Thank you.

Sillikk

I would like to add to my previous rant about this so-called "solution" if a Spotify staff member happens to read this:

• The "solution" only until the app is updated by the Play Store: it has to be moved back manually to SD card, which you don't know unless you carefully monitor which apps were updated everyday (which no-one does)
  • On a business point of view, do you realise you are losing gigantic amounts of money in bandwith because of this issue ? Songs have to be downloaded multiple times instead of just once. If a Spotify manager ever reads this: this bug should be in your top priorities !
roots15

Please solve this issue, the hacky workaround is absolutely not convenient.

Sillikk

I found an easier workaround: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rs.autorun

This app can prevent Spotify from starting at startup. Or rather kill it before it has time to change it's storage location.

This is still not a solution though. A solution would be for Spotify to fix their app.

Implementing a way to locate the storage on SD even if it is mounted later would be no more than half a day of development...

Sillikk
Forget my above comment, it doesn't work all the time unless you rooted your phone...
Cehh
Regular

This is extremely frustrating. This is not how you treat your customers @ Spotify and as someone said above you're loosing bandwith when a big part of your customers have theirs songs redowloaded everytime they reboot their phone! Don't you think the fact there's actually NO SOLUTION FROM YOU and is not acceptable?!

I might as well go back to unpaid use of spotify since one of the main feature just DOESN'T WORK on my phone! I shouldn't fear to restart or upgrade my phone or software because of A SERVICE I PAY FOR.

Wake up Spotify, this is still a very big issue and it shouldn't be that difficult to make your app WAIT 60 SECONDS before it check storage, or maybe makes it ask user instead if it doesn't find anything idk just DO something instead of ignoring people complaining about an issue ongoing since MONTHS and closing it.

The "solution" got ride of my widget and I'm mad at everything because I've been patient, waiting for an update to be provided, and when I'm finally looking into a solution because I'm running out of patience it's not provided by Spotify and it's not a real solution at all. I paid for this service, many of us did and do. What else do you want?!

RaphAtienza

@Cehh It is irritating. With the moving to SD card solution I had to pay for a different widget. I got the Ubiquity Music Widget from the Google Play Store. The downside is it a paid app and it shows playback controls for any app playing music or video. 
@Cehh wrote:

This is extremely frustrating. This is not how you treat your customers @ Spotify and as someone said above you're loosing bandwith when a big part of your customers have theirs songs redowloaded everytime they reboot their phone! Don't you think the fact there's actually NO SOLUTION FROM YOU and is not acceptable?!

I might as well go back to unpaid use of spotify since one of the main feature just DOESN'T WORK on my phone! I shouldn't fear to restart or upgrade my phone or software because of A SERVICE I PAY FOR.

Wake up Spotify, this is still a very big issue and it shouldn't be that difficult to make your app WAIT 60 SECONDS before it check storage, or maybe makes it ask user instead if it doesn't find anything idk just DO something instead of ignoring people complaining about an issue ongoing since MONTHS and closing it.

The "solution" got ride of my widget and I'm mad at everything because I've been patient, waiting for an update to be provided, and when I'm finally looking into a solution because I'm running out of patience it's not provided by Spotify and it's not a real solution at all. I paid for this service, many of us did and do. What else do you want?!

j3r0m3b0r0w14k

TOTALLY AGREE
Why this bugg still remains ?
We paid our subscription, isn't?
This behaviour is present on Android as LineageOS too.
So, correct the Spotify code, plz!
regards,
J.

sxlk
Casual Listener

Any update about this? 3 years after, the problem is exactly the same. Should I cancel Spotify subscription?