Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to stream on Apple Watch

Hey folks,

We're receiving reports that users who previously had the option to stream on their Apple Watch are unable to do so. In a lot of the cases this seems to come up when the setup includes AirPods.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up-to-speed here, so make sure to Subscribe to this thread. 

Thanks! 

Hello everyone,

We've been passing on your details to our developers and they have already rolled out several improvements to fix the experience reported. 

While the number of new reports seems to have dropped significantly since updates to both the Spotify app and watchOS in the last couple of months, we are aware that some users do still experience issues streaming directly from their Apple Watch, but our tech teams weren't able to reproduce it and this seems to be affecting specific devices or setups, so we're unable to find a solution remotely.

A common solution that we see has been reported working is to do a factory reset on the Apple Watch and add it back as a new watch vs. restoring a backup.

Also, keep in mind that the built-in speaker in the watch cannot be used for music playback by Spotify and you’ll need to have headphones connected to the watch via Bluetooth.

We hope this helps. If you still need a hand, you can start a new topic in the relevant help board, including all the steps you've tried so far and the outcome, and we'll take it from there.

Comments
beefqueen

So this still isn't working - I still can't use my Apple Watch to listen to Spotify unless it's connected to Wifi (i.e. at home). 

It's simply unacceptable that all members are paying the same subscription amount yet are not receiving the same service. When will Spotify ensure that all members can use all services that they are paying for, including the ability to stream via their Apple Watch using data? 

Eni

Hi @beefqueen

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

We're sorry that you feel this way. We’re always testing possible improvements and new features, so you might see something on the app that other users don't, or get a brand-new feature for only a temporary period.

As @Mihail mentioned, we suggest that you keep the app up-to-date so you can get the new features, as soon as they're available.

We really value your feedback as it helps us to improve, and we'll be sure to pass this on to the right folks here at Spotify.

If you need help with anything else, just let us know.

srogers228
I'm having the same issue. Deleted the app on both iPhone & Watch (cellular version) and reset AirPods. Spotify watch app just has watch icon flashing endlessly but won't switch over from iPhone to watch/AirPods, so I can go for a run on watch cellular.

Apple Music will work without iPhone, so I can listen on runs with only my watch and AirPods, no phone near me.
CarlosE

Hey @srogers228,

Thanks for reaching out. We're sorry to hear you're also experiencing this issue.

Just to confirm, does this only happen when trying to use your AirPods?

Also, did you follow these steps to run a clean reinstall of the app?

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

srogers228
Tried connecting with my Bose headphones via AppleWatch and same issue, the watch connect icon in the watch Spotify app just flashes but never actually connects. Apple Music works with the Bose on my watch too.

I did the full deletion band reinstall steps previously too.

I have a series 5 watch w/ cellular watch and 1st Gen AirPods and an XS Max iPhone is any of that helps pinpoint where a disconnect may be.
CarlosE

Hey @srogers228,

Thanks for trying and keeping us posted.

Try turning the Bluetooth off and on again in the watch's OS system settings. This should do the trick for the issue with the AirPods. However, the right folks are aware of the issue with streaming in the watch and working on a fix right now. In the meantime, make sure to keep the app updated.

Thanks for your patience. If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, give us a shout.

Cheers 🙂

solielw
Has there been any resolution to this?
Will Spotify app work on an Apple Watch with watch's own data plan without iPhone and do I need to do a whole reset for my Watch?
Novy

Hey @solielw

Thanks for getting back to us.

Can you confirm the Spotify version you're running at the moment?

Regarding the issue with your AirPods, we've reported this to Apple and you should be able to solve this by turning Bluetooth off and on again in the system settings of your watch.

Let us know how it goes.

solielw
Hey @Navy - sure - can you go back to my previous messages to find out what version I am running which I already stated a few times. Regarding the issue with AirPods did you understand that the AirPods do connect to the Watch but that my issue is the fact that Spotify on Watch does not stream without the iPhone being nearby? Was that clear in my message or perhaps I didn't explain well?
Look forward to your reply.
Alex

Hey @solielw,

Thanks for the clarification.

The function to stream over cellular data from the watch itself has been announced officially, however it's being slowly rolled out to all users along with the possibility to save songs for offline listening on the watch,

We don't have official info on an exact date when the feature will be rolled out to all users.

The best option would be to make sure you're always running the latest update.

Hope this helps.