Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to stream on Apple Watch

Hey folks,

We're receiving reports that users who previously had the option to stream on their Apple Watch are unable to do so. In a lot of the cases this seems to come up when the setup includes AirPods.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up-to-speed here, so make sure to Subscribe to this thread. 

Thanks! 

Hello everyone,

We've been passing on your details to our developers and they have already rolled out several improvements to fix the experience reported. 

While the number of new reports seems to have dropped significantly since updates to both the Spotify app and watchOS in the last couple of months, we are aware that some users do still experience issues streaming directly from their Apple Watch, but our tech teams weren't able to reproduce it and this seems to be affecting specific devices or setups, so we're unable to find a solution remotely.

A common solution that we see has been reported working is to do a factory reset on the Apple Watch and add it back as a new watch vs. restoring a backup.

Also, keep in mind that the built-in speaker in the watch cannot be used for music playback by Spotify and you’ll need to have headphones connected to the watch via Bluetooth.

We hope this helps. If you still need a hand, you can start a new topic in the relevant help board, including all the steps you've tried so far and the outcome, and we'll take it from there.

Comments
badticket

Hi Folks,

still having this Bug.

Any news for a solution ?

Greetz

Badticket 

CarlosE

Hey again @badticket,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Can you let us know the Spotify version you're running? Also, make sure that there aren't any pending updates on both your watch and phone.

We'll be on the lookout.

Mihail
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

We’ve passed your info on to the relevant team, who are currently looking into it.

If you’re experiencing this issue, we recommend that you turn Bluetooth off and on again in the watch OS system settings.

If that doesn't fix things, make sure to click +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread to be notified of any developments.

Could you also make sure to provide us with the following info, if you haven’t already:

• smartphone device + OS version
  • exact Spotify version
  • smartwatch model + OS version
  • does the issue occur only when using AirPods or in general? 

Thanks! We’ll keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

lauren_ei

After spending roughly 20 minutes on live chat with a tech person at Spotify, I wound up with nothing. I contacted help regarding the ongoing issue with streaming music from my Apple Watch SE (with cellular) to my AirPods Pro without using my phone.  I want to have this work so that I can run without my phone. I've done numerous complete clean reinstalls by clearing data and the whole nine yards. Nothing has consistently worked. Today I was told this by the so-called expert at Spotify.  Can someone with some expertise please weigh in regarding this ongoing streaming issue?

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 4.46.00 PM.png

Faisal8

Plan: premium

Devices:

• iPhone XS, software version 14.6
  • Apple Watch SE (GPS + Cellular), OS version 7.5
  • Also using AirPods Pro, but the issue of not being able to play from my watch persists regardless of whether the AirPods are in the picture or not.

Hello. I’m having a similar issue. I can’t play music from my watch at all, whether it’s connected to AirPods or not. The Spotify app simply doesn’t show the Apple Watch option in the device selection menu. In the screenshots below, you can see two cases, one with my iPhone turned on and another with it turned off. When the iPhone is turned on, the Apple Watch app detects is and allows me to start/stop/control music on my phone. However, when the iPhone is turned off, the Apple Watch simply turns into a dead end. I can’t play anything anywhere, everything is grayed out, and the device selection menu shows no devices. I used to see the Apple Watch as a device in that menu but I don’t anymore. I uninstalled the apps, restarted devices, and reinstalled the apps (aka I have the latest versions of the apps), but that didn’t change a thing.

My iPhone is turned on:

A5F72539-96FF-4006-9774-B711D3F3A488.png

A06B1FFE-9A3E-4C13-94E3-0BB8A929FB3D.png

My iPhone is turned off:

31D022B9-7371-45A7-B716-D692E6063C18.png

54B809A0-159C-4F99-8720-7165A73AAFD9.png

Please advise.

I bought the Apple Watch with cellular capability solely to be able to play music from my watch while running without taking my iPhone with me. I used to be able to do it but now I can’t - very frustrating.

Thanks,

Mungerer

I’m experiencing the same issue - when I try to leave my iPhone behind and connect to a device that isn’t my iPhone the little icon flashes in the bottom right corner and it won’t connect. Other streaming and local download apps are working (podcasts, audible). I am not using AirPods - just a different Bluetooth pair of earbuds. The watch and iPhone are on the same WiFi and I’ve tried removing the Spotify app and reinstalling.

audionego

I get the same issue:

• iPhone (iOS 14.6)
  • Spotify (8.6.40.1248)
  • Apple Watch Series 6 Watch OS 7.5
  • Not using Air Pods. Using Bose Sport Earbuds.
macimus

Canada
iPhone 12 (14.6)
Spotify (8.6.40.1248)
Apple Watch SE with Cellular
AirPods Pro

I cannot select/connect to the Watch as playback device even though the Air Pods are connected to the Watch. I disabled the bluetooth on my phone. It just says 'connecting...'

asdogjapisdf

This worked for me

iPhone 12 Pro

AirPods Pro

Apple Watch SE

All latest versions

henryroach

This is a constant problem for me. 

I had found an initial workaround, however it no longer works. I have to cut my phone off when I’m about to stream from my watch, and then press play on my watch. The interaction between the two breaks every time when moving outside of range of the phone. Whenever I come back to my phone and cut it on, I’ll lose my place in whatever I’m listening and I’ll revert to a podcast episode from years ago. 

Recently, the spotify app has stopped working completely. I can’t stream from the watch app independently whatsoever. 

Yes I am using AirPods. 

Trying to be patient because I love Spotify, but this is close to becoming a service breaking issue for me