Announcements

Using Echo dot and phone at same time

Hi,

I have an amazon echo dot set up at home, and a Spotify family premium account.  The echo dot is linked to my spotify account, so when I am at home, using spotify on py phone will play through the echo dot if I wish.  However, this means that when the echo dot is in use (by anyone) that I cannot use my phone at the same time to listen to seperate music.  As an example, right now i am at work and listening to spotify, but my wife is at home and if she asks the echo dot to play something on spotify it will then disable me from listening to music on my phone.  Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,

Clifford Killeen.

Hey @cliffordkilleen! Welcome to the community!

Alright, that's no fun! You can only listen to Spotify at one place at a time. Maybe your wife can login on the Amazon Dot and then you and your wife can both listen at the same time. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care! 🙂

/H

Comments
Hubo
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Hey @cliffordkilleen! Welcome to the community!

Alright, that's no fun! You can only listen to Spotify at one place at a time. Maybe your wife can login on the Amazon Dot and then you and your wife can both listen at the same time. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care! 🙂

/H

cliffordkilleen
the amazon dot is only linked to my account, so there doesn't appear to be
a way to do that - i will try to get her amazon account linked though and
see. Thanks for the reply.
Hubo

Hey @cliffordkilleen!

Alright, here's some more information on how to unlink Amazon Dot and Spotify. After that, you could relink with your wife's account. Let me know how it goes.

Take care! 🙂
/H

Cap_uk

Hi, this is a real pain - why doesn't Premium family subscriptions cover this ? I actually just upgraded to premium family expecting this to cover the same scenario. Our echo is in a top bedroom and frequently want to listen independently on echo and phones.

I have lots of free family slots available but won't be setting up e.g. My Daughter as the primary account on the Echo just for Spotify... 

Phosgene69

That's a **bleep**ty design, especially for people who have premium and family accounts. You guys should change this for sure. 

Frogstreet

I just upgraded to family premium for this very reason. A family member starting music at home shouldn't stop my phone from playing. Pointless and annoying. I understand when it's a single account, but not family premium. I guess I need to assign one of the five accounts to each Echo. I hope Spotify plans to find a reasonable solution that doesn't require changing accounts all the time. 

Mikael95

How can we listen simultanouesly different musics between Google Home mini, Echo Dot...? Do we need to create several spotify accounts per device?

rrivera105

having the EXACT issue here. Hope Spotify would make it easier

moistdef

Ok, right now I am at my office logged into my Spotify Premium Family account under MY name on my laptop listening via headphones. 

My girlfriend is at home logged into her account trying to listen to Spotify over her Echo Dot. 

When I pick a song, it plays on her Echo Dot. I notice the Spotify app saying 'now playing on Echo Dot, so I change it to play on my computer instead, it cuts off her music. 

My girlfriend resumes her music on Echo Dot, it cuts out my music and resumes my music on her Echo Dot. 

This is beyond frustrating. I'm paying $14.99/month and I can't listen to my own music on my own computer. 

oharan124

This is extremely painful. Whether we set Alexa to my fiance's account or mine, it will always cause issues if one of us is home and one isn't. Spotify Family should solve for this automatically based on the number of music streams across the family, regardless of which user it is.