Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Volume control doesn't work with Sonos

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device iPhone 7

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.) iOS 12.3

My Question or Issue

This problem started only recently. Despite being able to control the Sonos volume from the Sonos app slider, I can't use the Spotify slider to control it accurately. It is delayed and then slides back and forth on its own, fluctuating the sound. I can't use the hardware volume control for either Spotify or Sonos. This happens whether I have the Spotify app open only or both the Spotify and Sonos apps.

THIS HAPPENS ONLY WHEN I AM PLAYING SPOTIFY THROUGH SONOS. If playing Spotify alone on my iPhone it works fine, with either the app or hardware volume controls. Same with using only Sonos.

I have the proper settings on for integrating Spotify and Sonos. Also to allow hardware volume control through my phone app. None have been charged from when this all worked. I've used both apps for years. This has never happened before.

I am using an iPhone 7, running iOS 12.3.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
SevenTowers

This has been occurring for two years now. How hard is it to fix volume state management across Spotify/Sonos? 

Occurring on iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14.4.2, Spotify 8.6.22.

Sonos firmware is up to date on all connected speakers.

As with the other contributors to this thread, the volume works flawlessly from within Sonos, but responds erratically from Spotify, sometimes not updating at all, or going up very slowly and then bursting. 

Do you have a digital twin representation of the Sonos devices, with an expected state? Do you properly debounce the state between what is expected and what is being reported back from the Sonos API? This behaviour can only come from sloppy programming.

jcpny1

Similar problem here. I used to have the crazy volume problem, but that went away for me quite a while ago.

Now, starting about a month or two ago, Spotify app looses the ability to control Sonos volume after a few minutes. If I swipe-close the Spotify app and re-open it, volume control is restored, but, again, only for a few minutes.

• iPhone 8 and iPhone 11,  iOS 14.4.2
  • Spotify version 8.6.20.1146
  • Open Spotify. (Sonos app has not been activated.) Set output to a Sonos speaker. Play some music. Note that the volume control works. Wait 10 minutes. Note the volume control is operative, but does not change the Sonos' volume. Swipe close the Spotify app. Music continues to play. Reopen the Spotify app, note that the volume control is working properly. Process repeats..
JezzaCrab

Still the issue persists after all this time. Spotify - please can you tell us if you can reproduce the problem?

JezzaCrab

Hi Spotify, how are the investigations going?

Strongface
I think it might be related to whether you have any of your sonos speakers
connected with ethernet cables.

I recently switched to using Wifi only on all my speakers and this issue
seems to have gone away for me.
JezzaCrab

I only have one speaker and it’s on WiFi only. I have tried all combinations and it is always the same. It used to work absolutely fine a couple of year ago. Given that it works without any lag whatsoever through the Sonos app it’s definitely not a network problem, it’s definitely an issue with the Spotify app.

Elena
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that we've passed on this to the teams at Sonos and we're working with the right folks to look further into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify and Sonos apps up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Kiril
Status changed to: Fixed

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!