Announcements

[Web Player] Blank search results when using advanced search syntax

Status: Fixed

Hey folks,

 

We have noticed the following issue with the web player:

When searching, results appear blank when using advanced search syntax  (e.g. "artist:", "genre:", "track:", etc.). The issue is triggered when clicking away from the Top Results tab and clicking on one of the tabs that appears beside it (e.g. Artists, Songs, Albums).

 

We've passed this on to the right team, who are currently looking into it. We'll make sure to let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

 

Thanks!

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!

 

Thanks!

Comments
Peter
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

 

We have noticed the following issue with the web player:

When searching, results appear blank with advanced search syntax  (e.g. "artist:", "genre:", "track:", etc.) and clicking away from the Top Results tab and clicking on one of the tabs that appears beside it (e.g. Artists, Songs, Albums).

 

We've passed this on to the right team, who are currently looking into it. We'll make sure to let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

 

Thanks!

LuHulio

Hello and thank you for investigating my report.

 

I would like to point out that both the category tabs on the upper part of the result screen AND the ones below suffer from this issue as annotated on this screenshot taken from the WEB player:

 

advanced-searc-syntax

 

Related report: [Web Player] Blank Search results after clicking a category

Despite its status, I am still experiencing this issue as well.

 

Peter

Hey @LuHulio,

 

Thanks for providing such detailed info!

 

We've passed it on to the right team, who will continue to investigate this issue.

 

We'll make sure to keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates.

 

Thanks again 🙂

Petya
Status changed to: Fixed

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!

 

Thanks!

Env: prod