Announcements

Web player stops after playing a song for 9 seconds

Spotify web player had worked fine for me for a long while (years), but a couple days ago started pausing playback at 9-second position very consistently. Switching to the next song (pressing the "Next" button) sometimes solves the issue for the next song playback (though, not always), then it happens again. Basically, it completely breaks the user experience, as I can't listen to songs which get stuck at 9 seconds, and have to manually press "Next" every 5-10 minutes.

I cannot see any errors in Chrome's JavaScript console nor any issues with the network requests. Everything is fine with my local network. The issue is only with Spotify's web player, and as far as I can tell, it is something that started happening just recently.

Any advice / help would be much appreciated.

Plan: Free

Device: MacBook Pro 2017

Operating System: macOS Big Sur 11.0.1

Web browser: Chrome 89.0.4389.90

Hey folks, 

We wanted to let you know that we've made some changes backstage and we expect them to have resolved this issue now.

Could you confirm for us if now the web player works as expected or you still experience the issue? 

Thanks! 

Comments

Regarding testing I have following info:

• Does it happen on newest versions of Edge or Firefox?
    Tested it on Edge. Happens there aswell.
  • In case the firewall is enabled, does the issue persist after disabling it?
    No firewall enabled.
  • Unload any extensions or Add-Ons, including ad-blockers. Are there any changes?
    Oberserved issue with enabled and disabled ad-blocker (I guess disabling it should be sufficient). No other add-ons are used. 
  • Do you use a VPN or a Proxy?
    Normal home setup has no vpn/proxy.
    Issue was also observed on a business laptop with active vpn (web player in chrome). 
  • We saw a work laptop being mentioned, are the network and browser settings managed by a different administrator or a company policy?
    Not on my home system.
csbubbles
Casual Listener

Same. I tried a few computers on different networks (both home and corp, with and without extensions, in regular and incognito modes, clearing cookies / caches). Spotify Web player gets stuck at 9 seconds anyway. Again, as I mentioned before a couple times already, all the network requests that Spotify makes from the web app succeed.

NaVani
Visitor

Hi Novy, this is happening when I am using the Web Player. I haven't tried the Desktop App. Thank you.

clydedz
Visitor
I'm having the same issue described in this thread. Exactly at 9 seconds. This has only recently started happening for me, though, like maybe a week or two now.

I observed that this happens when I pause a song for a while. Whereas, if I'm starting a fresh session and have not paused a song for long, it keeps playing fine. Unfortunately, refreshing the browser doesn't make this a fresh session.
Ver
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this to us.

Could you also make sure to provide us with the following info, if you haven’t already:

• Device + OS version
  • Browser + Version
  • Unload any extensions or Add-Ons, including ad-blockers. Are there any changes?
  • We saw a work laptop being mentioned, are the network and browser settings managed by a different administrator or a company policy?
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried so far

Once we have that, we will pass it on to the relevant team, who will look further into it.

Thanks!

Simkaa
Exactly the same issue for me... Only started 1 week ago, stops at 9
seconds and no computer or system changes to account for this. From reading
other's replies it looks to be a Spotify issue and not at the users end??
ps111
Visitor

Having this problem as well.  I have tried many different things to make sure the problem is not on my end of a different piece of software. And I am sure this a bug in the Spotify web client or chromium web engine.

Edge v88 and v89

Chrome v87, v88, v89, v90

With and without a VPN

From a business connection and from a residential connection (Even tried an LTE hotspot)

Mac OS (+fresh install)
Windows 10 (+fresh install)

Tried clearing cookies and cache. Applied the latest updates from apple and windows.

Made sure no other software was running. Even tried it in a brand new windows 10 VM with nothing installed but the stock edge browser (chromium version)

after approximately 30 - 120mins I am always encountering the 9sec playback issue.

I am pretty much using a web client for all apps that I use. Now Spotify is the only app that is forcing me to download the native client and use that instead - I hate it.

Edit: 
I have also tried it with the account of a friend, same result.

HawkeDiLuna
Visitor
  • Device + OS version: Windows 10 20H2
  • Browser + Version: Brave 1.22.71
  • Does it happen on newest versions of Edge or Firefox?: Yes
  • In case the firewall is enabled, does the issue persist after disabling it?: Yes
  • Unload any extensions or Add-Ons, including ad-blockers. Are there any changes? I tried wiht and without extensions and have the same problem
  • Do you use a VPN or a Proxy? i have the problem with vpn on and off
  • We saw a work laptop being mentioned, are the network and browser settings managed by a different administrator or a company policy?: No i tried on diferent networks
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried so far: sign out on all devices, cookies, reinstall SO, try another browser, clear temp folder
alefranzoni
  • Device + OS version: 
    • Windows 10 20H2
  • Browser + Version:
    • MS Edge 89.0.774.68 (Official build) (64-bit)
    • Edge: Yes / FF: Idk
    • No firewall enabled
    • No extensions
    • I don't use VPN nor Proxy
    • No, my own network
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried so far
    • All described here

Please kindly stop asking for "more information" 'cause this problem is very very annoying. These answers has been answered previously by many users.

Best regards.

tripflex
Visitor

This issue is becoming SUPER annoying, and does not seem to happen to me on mobile (thankfully), but it's happening enough to make me want to just go ahead and cancel subscription.

I'm a full time developer and network engineer so I know it's not my system it's yours, and i will prove it.

Request to https://guc-spclient.spotify.com/melody/v1/msg/track_stream_verification returns 502 errors

{
  "error": {
    "status": 502,
    "message": "Backend respond with 503"
  }
}

Access to fetch at 'https://guc-spclient.spotify.com/track-playback/v1/devices/.../state' from origin 'https://open.spotify.com' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource.

Guys COME ON a CORS error is BASIC stuff, and the 502 errors you should be logging internally.

Content Security Policy of your site blocks the use of 'eval' in JavaScript

https://open.scdn.co/cdn/build/web-player/vendor~web-player.011a2a3a.js