Free/Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

How can I prevent my monitor from shutting off when I start the web player?

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate your patience and all your reports so far.

We've passed them on to the right teams and after checking this, we've come to the conclusion that unfortunately this isn't something we can help with further on our end.

If there's anything else you need help with, don't hesitate to let us know by starting a new thread in our Help Boards. Thanks!

Comments
arhiter

Have fixed this issue by disabling HDCP on my display adapter (NVIDIA)

Samsara04

I use a TCL Roku 42in TV as my monitor and this has been happening not only to Spotify but also to streaming services like Peacock, I open them in web browsers when I'm gaming. So I think the problem lies with HDCP and not just Spotify. The only fix is to enter Spotify, wait for the screen to go black on and off, then unplug my HDMI cable to the TV and replug it. 

bernardmortsell

Same issue, but with HP Elitebook. Tried several different external monitors connected directly or via dock. 

svlentink

Having the same problem here, getting some colorful snow on my external monitor (where I use Spotify) when opening the spotify webui or starting playback, not always, but regularly enough that it's annoying. If I turn deep color on or off on my monitor it's gone. What others have suggested - that it could be webkit that toggles a change in display settings - seems feasible.

Acer Chromebook (Intel celeron, 8gb ram)

Google Chrome

USB-C hub with HDMI

3.8K LG monitor (marketed as 4K) connected to hub

fnkimnki

I finally found a fix as someone mentioned for those with Nvidia cards on Windows (AMD has the option in their driver interface, Nvidia needs to do a registry tweak). Disabling DHCP did it for me via editing the registry: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]

Keep in mind '0000' at the end is *my* GPU so it may be different depending on the GPU you use, specifically if using multiple GPUs. On it add the following Dword key and value:

"RMHdcpKeyglobZero"=dword:00000001

If you have any problems with HDCP, ie, want to play Netflix at 4k, you'll have to disable it because that does require it but as far as I know, no other media or media application I've used has had any problem with it disabled.

rozmanovitch

I'm having the exact same problem here.
I'm glad I'm not the only one, but it's still strange and annoying.
Found out now that it might to do with the dock. Had connected another dock from a colleague and then it went well for a while but now my monitor closes again as soon as I turn on spotify web.
There is also a Logitech receiver base connected to the dock for my keyboard, but as soon as I disconnect it, Spotify reappears, so maybe the receiver base is causing "interference"?

polymathltp
When I log into Spotify in Chrome, my secondary monitor goes blue. The only thing I can do to fix it is to toggle the display options. This is the only application/website that causes this.
serban83

Hi everybody,

Just came to say that I experienced the same issue about ~2 times in the past month.

Laptop is a Dell from work, I use one external monitor connected through the DP port via a docking station.

-I clicked "Play", the external monitor lost connection.

- After a few seconds of confusion

- - while operating "in blind"

- - I pressed Ctrl+T to open a new browser tab

- - and I started typing "goog"+Enter (this basically opened Google in the new browser tab)

- in about ~10 seconds, the image came back on the monitor

- - I'm not sure if this happened precisely because I loaded smth else than Spotify in the foreground, not sure if it wouldn't have happened anyways...

jasonk679288

POS spotify, can't open video podcast on work computer without shutting off other 2 monitors.  soon as I close spotify app they pop back on.  Spend more time fixing actual issues.

apitzx

Same issue here on Lenovo work setup (nvidia graphic card). Second monitor crashes when I open webplayer. 

Looks like my only option is to switch to competitor streaming service 😞