Free/Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

How can I prevent my monitor from shutting off when I start the web player?

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the info you've provided so far. The right team is still looking into this. In the meantime, we'd like to ask you try something. Log out from your account on the Web Player, and let us know if the issue with the monitor persists when you visit the Web Player again.

If you haven't already, make sure to click +VOTE. We'll let you know as soon as we've got any updates.

Related Issues

Comments
leshii

Piling on, I guess. This happens in Chrome and Opera for me. HP with Thunderbolt G2 dock, one monitor directly connected via VGA, the other through a DVI connector. 

The minute I go to open.spotify.com, the DVI monitor immediately turns off, comes back on, goes off, and repeats this cycle for a while. Either one of two things happen: I'll close the web browser or tab and it'll eventually stop (after about a minute) or the monitor will just go to sleep and stay asleep (I get the monitor going to sleep message). Nothing other than rebooting the computer will wake it back up. 

In the meantime the VGA monitor will begin to do the same, but with less frequency. Rarely it will also go to sleep permanently, too, but ONLY if the DVI monitor goes to sleep. The VGA monitor will not go to sleep permanently by itself. Once the DVI monitor stops glitching, the VGA will, too.

Laptop screen does not react. When this happens, the computer does not acknowledge that there are other monitors. They're simply not there.

I set it up so the monitor would never go to sleep and that seemed to work in Opera but it does not work in Chrome. I can no longer use Opera at work so the issue remains an issue for me.

bminorh

Hello,

I'm having the same issue as Koush123. I'm using a Dell desktop computer at work with two Dell monitors. And this week I've noticed that my secondary monitor keeps going black when I open the Spotify Web Player in Chrome. It doesn't matter which monitor I open it on as soon as it opens there goes the screen on the 2nd monitor. The monitor is still on, and the music continues to play but I can't see anything on the screen. As soon as I close the web player the screen comes back. I haven't tried using other browsers yet but it sounds like other people haven't been very successful with that workaround anyway. 

kpalik

having very similar issue on my HP elitebook G4, with windows 10, with docking station and 2 monitors connected with display port cables. I've experienced this on Opera, even after turning off hardware acceleration in browser settings. My Firefox runs perfectly smooth. 

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the info you've provided so far. 

@kpalik if possible, can you also try it with Chrome?

@leshii please you let us know your OS?

@bminorh let us know your OS as well, and if possible try with a different browser to see if anything changes. 

We'll make sure to let the right team know. Thanks!

leshii

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise.

bminorh
Hello,

I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise. So far I haven't had any issues with using
the web player in Firefox but I didn't have issues with it in Chrome until
recently either.

Thanks!

Hey there @leshii and @bminorh,

Thanks for letting us know this info!

It'd be also helpful if you could let us know the version your Chrome browser is currently on. 

On another note, you mention this is happening at work. Just to confirm, does the issue occur for you when connected on a different internet connection? 

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies :)

leshii

@Katerina Chrome version is:

Version 72.0.3626.109 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This only happens at work, yes, because that's where my dual monitor configuration is. When I use my laptop elsewhere, I don't use monitors (and the issue does not occur). I have not have the opportunity to test it on a different internet connection with a monitor. If I get the opportunity to do so, I will try it.

bminorh
Hello,

I updated Chrome today to this version:
Version 72.0.3626.109 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Today rather than just going black immediately after opening the web player
it has blinked on and off several times. It did seem to stabilize after a
few minutes of blinking on and off but when I closed the web player and
reopened it the blinking started again.

I haven't tried on a different internet connection because I don't have a
two-monitor set-up at home.
bminorh

As an update I continued to try listening on the Web Player on Chrome and my monitor continued to blink in and out. The stability only lasted for a few minutes.