Announcements

When pushing next song in car spotify advances forward by 15 seconds

I have a 2016 Mazda cx5 that I have connected my galaxy s8 via bluetooth.  With this phone and all my previous phones I have been able to move to the next song in a playlist by either pressing the forward button on my steering wheel or on the touch screen.  Now doing this advances the song forward by 15 seconds.  The only way to move to the next song is to pickup the phone.  This makes it very inconvenient as I can only go to the next song when I am stopped at a red light.  

Screenshot_20171205-142521.png

Hey folks,

We've alerted our developers to this issue, and they're investigating the matter.

We appreciate your report!

We don't have an exact time frame for a fix, however rest assured the right team know about this now.

In the meantime, we'd recommend always installing the most recent version of the Spotify app to guarantee you’re rocking all the latest updates. 

Thanks for your patience,
/M

Comments
Alfredo
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey @Unlocalhost, welcome to the community!

Just to confirm, is this happening only when you listen to podcasts or is it happening with songs as well?

Also, what Android and Spotify version are you using?

We'll see what we can suggest.

Unlocalhost

Yes this issue is specific to pocasts and not to music.  I would like to mention that  this exact problem exists with the android lock screen.  I tried to use this as a work around to safely skip to the next pocast only to find the exact same result that it it advances forward 15 seconds.  I have also tried both a long press on the stering wheel, front panel display and the lock screen in an attempt to get a work around.

It looks like this issue relates to the addition of these buttons in the more recent software update. 

spotify version: 8.4.30.688 armV7

andfroid version: 7.0

Alfredo

Thanks for all the info!

Instead of presing the forward button on your wheel once, or holding it down, could you try pressing it twice in quick succession?

Let us know if that does the trick.

Unlocalhost

It advances the podcast forward by 30 seconds when doing this.

missinglink02

Any answer? on this problem? I'm having this happen as well.  It's annoying.

William_13

Hey @missinglink02, welcome to the Spotify Community!

Can you let us know what device make/model, OS version and Spotify version are you running? 

On the meantime, let us know what you've tried so far and we'll take a look.

missinglink02
LG G5 phone, software H83020i_un, Android 7.0, Spotify 8.4.38.673 armV7
Unlocalhost

I pointed out in my original post the locations of the buttons.  I believe it is the addiotion of these buttons and their location that is the problem.  This is likely an issue that needs to be brough to the development team.  The bluetooth stack is a common library to android and most cars are going to implement bluetooth into their software  the same way.  I went on my own and tested this in a 2014 VW GTI, 2015 Ford F250, and 2016 Toyota Rav 4.  All have bluetooth 4.0 or higher capability built into their software, and all exhibit the same behavior.   They all have touch LCD displays in the center console which provide buttons for pause, play, forward, and back when listening to audio over bluetooth. All also have streering wheel buttons for forward and back.  In each vehicle when I listen to podcasts it does the same thing.

From your level are you capable of communicating with the development team about this.  I would be willing to even run a beta version with the advance 15 forward and back buttons being moved to the inside position to prove this concept.  

I feel like this is a real safety issue.  Prior to the addition of these buttons I had hands free operation.  Now I have to wait till I am not in motion to skip a podcast.  I quit listening to them because of this.  I am sure there are others who have resorted to looking at their phone while driving. 

Melody
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

We've gone ahead and reported this to our best tech team now, and they're looking into things.

Hopefully we'll have some more info soon 🙂

In the meantime, we'd recommend keeping everything up-to-date.

Let us know if you have any questions or notice any changes.

Thanks,

/M

Melody
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hey folks,

We've alerted our developers to this issue, and they're investigating the matter.

We appreciate your report!

We don't have an exact time frame for a fix, however rest assured the right team know about this now.

In the meantime, we'd recommend always installing the most recent version of the Spotify app to guarantee you’re rocking all the latest updates. 

Thanks for your patience,
/M

Env: prod