Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows Desktop App Blank Screen

AS the title says, since the 2nd/3rd September the spotify desktop app is dead, each time I load it up I get a useless blank screen, can't log in/out, play music I can't do anything other than exit it, zoom in and out and turn hardware acceleration on and off, tried loads of different suggestions from the community forums but nothing works for me, dealt with the support on twitter and their no help either, time to cancel my subscription atfer 7years of premium membership.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for bearing with us. We can confirm this has now been fixed by our tech team. The latest version of Spotify should resolve this for anyone still having trouble.

If anyone's still affected by this, after reinstalling the app, we'd recommend creating a new thread for further investigation. 

Thanks!

Comments
DrBunker

Hi

Any update on this? I've tried all the steps taken by this guy but it seems like I'll have to wait for you to release a fix:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/BUG-Desktop-App-has-a-Blank-Screen...

elarson18

I only recently "upgraded" to the paid version and installed the program on my work PC: instant black screen, and when I came here endless threads complaining about a known problem but no solution. This is a poor way to run a company IMO...I'm in an enterprise environment with 2,500+ users and asking about I've found that NOBODY has seen Spotify working since September. Had I known that I would not have upgraded to the paid version. 

I'll ride this out until the end of the month, then I'm canceling. It seems silly that a program with such a large user base can't be made to run on Win 10 with a roaming profile.

Melody
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

The team are still looking into things here.

We understand the frustration, and we're really sorry for any inconvenience caused.

We're aware some of you have already tried this, however if not - please can you double-check you've followed these steps:

1). Uninstall, and reinstall on your local drive
2). Update any graphics card drivers
3). Run the app as admin 
4). Check you're running the app locally and not with any blockers, (like a work computer might have for example)

Keep us posted if you notice any changes.

Many thanks, and stay tuned.

/M

DrBunker
Haven't the community identified the problem already..? Whilst there may be
some issues that could be fixed by checking those points, the main one is
to do with roaming profiles.

I can now use the app having moved the appdata folder to my local drive but
not everyone will have this option. This is so clearly the issue I assume
the team are focusing on it as a cause?
Chrissykes78
The response I got out of Spotify on twitter was we're looking in to it but there's not time scale on when or if it can be fixed, complete joke I have to say.
DrBunker

...and of course, I'm back in for a new week following a machine restart and Spotify wants to update so I'm back to having a blank screen. Great.

Chrissykes78
yeah and you have to keep copying the install to a local folder on the machine for it to work, and I've noticed that when I do an update it also places the files on the root of the drive to, well annoying, I mean 2 full months and we've had jack sh.... off Spotify to sorting it out apart from the pointless suggestions despite the issue being explained to them time after time, and that they are looking in to it but who knows when it will be fixed, I'm going to give it until Decembers payment date and if it's not fixed I'm off to another provided
YaBoiKaden

This same issue happend to me, if reinstalling doesnt work, open your command prompt and clear your dns connections. This should open up room for spotify.

Chris
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

We can confirm the right team are looking into this.

We're aware some of you have already tried this, however if not - please can you double-check you've followed these steps:

1). Reinstall on your local drive
2). Update any graphics card drivers
3). Run the app as admin 
4). Check you're running the app locally and not with any blockers, (like a work computer might have for example)

If that doens't help, could you get back to us with a dxdiag? You can find steps on how to do this here

Let us know when you have this info.

Thanks!

Mikelovesmusic

My song list has disappeared with a message saying your favourite songs will appear here, even tho i had hundreds on there yesterday. Also on Recently Played it says Nothing Here Yet, even thoI've been using it for a year. Cutomer Services tried to help me, but it's so complicated that I might have to cancel.